Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm jumping on the 29er wagon and I'm considering parting with one of these lovely ladies to finance the new build. I had originally purchased the YBB SL which took my riding to a whole other level and started my love of ti. She does duty as a SS mostly these days. The Ibis came next since I am a fan of the ti softtail design and is built a a 1x9. Lastly, the Bontrager is the newest edition and she is built up as a fully rigid SS/ENO Ecc hub/V's. I am considering installing S&S couplers and making her my travel bike since I fly quite a bit for work to warmer, less snowy locales.

To me, all of these bikes are works of art and I'd be willing to clean them up and hang them on my wall but the wife's not too keen on that idea.

Nothing is for sale yet so don't ask. Once I make a decision, I'll post a link to a classified.

So if one had to let one go, which one and why?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Knowing little to nothing about these bikes other than the names, I would sell the Ibis, definately keep the Moots and maybe use your idea on the Bonty.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
colker1 said:
sell the 3 seatposts.... that would give enough money for a karate monkey.:D
HA! Too true! Luckily I never pay retail so the straight Moots came with the Ibis and the other 2 layback posts were found at the Veloswap in Denver for cheap.

·
artistic...
7,603 Posts
Lactic said:
HA! Too true! Luckily I never pay retail so the straight Moots came with the Ibis and the other 2 layback posts were found at the Veloswap in Denver for cheap.
sell the ibis. the moots is an important bike for you. the bonty is full rigid, different. unless it does not fit i would keep it.
so sell the ibis and turn the moots back into geared mode.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another scenario would be to sell the Ibis AND the Bontrager and install the S&S couplers on the Moots as a SS.

This particular YBB is definitely special since I've lusted for one since '92, it's a perfect fit, and was supposedly raced in the World Championships (little sticker on the top tube).

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Keep the Bonty, its the rarest of the bunch. Put a sweet Ti fork and it and love it.

If it were me, I'd sell the Ibis and the Moots. That'll get you probably more than enough to do up a banger Moots 29"er. The Ibis will probably fetch more than anything else.

·
Registered
196 Posts
tough choice. with heavy heart i'd sell the ibis. that leaves you with a soft tail and a rigid. the bontrager is a nice piece of history. the only reason why i'd sell the ibis over the moots is because you've had the moots the longest. it'd be hard (for me at least) to get rid of an old friend.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Interesting question. I have a Ibis Mojo I bought new in 1995 and worked at shops that sold both the Bonty and the Moots. Never rode the Silk Ti--it was after my time working in shops--but it's the most interesting design. The Moots is probably the best all-round bike, but you could replace it easily (with a new one). I had a Bonty Race for a while but hated the geometry. My buddy had a ti Bonty like yours. Were they made in Russia or something like that? Or was it TST? I can't remember. But to me it's not as special as a Santa Cruz-built Race or Race Light. Which do you like riding the most? Which will fetch the most money? I'd sell the one you ride the least.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
Interesting question. I have a Ibis Mojo I bought new in 1995 and worked at shops that sold both the Bonty and the Moots. Never rode the Silk Ti--it was after my time working in shops--but it's the most interesting design. The Moots is probably the best all-round bike, but you could replace it easily (with a new one). I had a Bonty Race for a while but hated the geometry. My buddy had a ti Bonty like yours. Were they made in Russia or something like that? Or was it TST? I can't remember. But to me it's not as special as a Santa Cruz-built Race or Race Light. Which do you like riding the most? Which will fetch the most money? I'd sell the one you ride the least.
yeah, those farmed out ti Bontys do nothing for me (the steel ones dont really either, the geometry is not for me). Not much out there on the level of an Ibis or a Moots IMO.

I'd eat top ramon for 6 months and get a Castellano Silk Ti 29er made by Steve Potts. ;)

All kidding aside, keep the Moots since its got sentimental value.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the Responses Thus Far!!

I can't believe I've spent this much time thinking about this but each one of these frames has been the object of my obsession during the 90s!

Since I'm getting some fantastic feedback here, I thought I would post some more information to go on.

The short term plan is to pick up a pro-deal on a scandium Niner Air9 29er hardtail. I rode one of these for a couple hours in Fruita this last weekend and I was very impressed with how it handled, climbed, and dealt with rocky, technical sections. Bottom line- it just fits the way I ride.

So, I will ride the Niner as a geared bike and possible dabble in SS'ing with an ENO Eccentric rear hub. If the 29er lifestyle agrees with me after a year, I will most likely take the plunge and go for a custom ti 29er. Possibly a Castellano Silk Ti 29er, BlackSheep, Moots Mooto-X, etc.

I have decided to most likely keep all of them for right now. If the Niner works out OK over the next month, I'll most likely sell the Ibis to cover some uber-light 29er wheels and a F29 Fox fork.

Now the question becomes...

If you were to install S&S couplers on one of these classic 90's ti frames, would you cut the Moots YBB SL or the Bontrager? Do you think the resale would be dramatically affected in the long run?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lactic said:
If you were to install S&S couplers on one of these classic 90's ti frames, would you cut the Moots YBB SL or the Bontrager? Do you think the resale would be dramatically affected in the long run?
What, are you high? No way in hell I'd do that... I bet you could pick up a Ritchey Breakaway frame for less than the price of the conversion.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Henry Chinaski said:
What, are you high? No way in hell I'd do that... I bet you could pick up a Ritchey Breakaway frame for less than the price of the conversion.
Most likely. It would be roughly $800 for the ti S&S conversion. But a Ritchey is no Moots or Bontrager...

I'm really just looking for any excuse to keep these bikes near me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lactic said:
Most likely. It would be roughly $800 for the ti S&S conversion. But a Ritchey is no Moots or Bontrager...

I'm really just looking for any excuse to keep these bikes near me.
I hear ya. I just wouldn't hack 'em up like that. You can't put 'em back. Think of all the guys with 60s muscle cars that got brutally hacked up in the 70s or 80s...

·
artistic...
7,603 Posts
the ibis and the bonty are smaller than the moots? or is it an impression from the pics? the moots looks like an 18in, 23in top tube. the ibis is a small, 22.25 and the bonty a medium, 22.6.
they all fit you well?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
colker1 said:
the ibis and the bonty are smaller than the moots? or is it an impression from the pics? the moots looks like an 18in, 23in top tube. the ibis is a small, 22.25 and the bonty a medium, 22.6.
they all fit you well?
All pretty much SMALL frames. Ibis is definitely a small but I'm running 100mm shocks in the front. The Moots was a custom geo so it might be between a SM and MED. I believe the Bonti was a small as well. I'm 5'7" and have always tended to go with smaller frames for "flickability". All fit well but I will be going with a medium Niner for the 29er.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.