Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how the latest gen Ibis rims compare to some other new carbon offerings in terms of ride feel and "compliance," which seems to be the new buzzword. Zipp 3Zero Moto and CB Synthesis both tout their engineered flex and ride feel, and it seems like reviews of these have been positive. Anyone compared those to the S35s?

Dimension-wise, S35s are as low-profile as the Synthesis (18mm cross-section height.) I have a set of old 941 rims (29mm cross section height) and they're stiff as hell; possibly to a fault.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't compare S35 carbon to any of those you mentioned, but I moved from 27,5" E*13 TRSR SL carbons to 29" S35 carbons and it's night and day difference. E*13s were absurdly rigid. S35s are pleasantly compliant in comparison.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just did my first couple rides on the S35's. Coming off of 941's and 942's. I can definitely say there is something softer about the rims. Everything else about the same. The front end feels squish-ier for sure.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just did my first couple rides on the S35's. Coming off of 941's and 942's. I can definitely say there is something softer about the rims. Everything else about the same. The front end feels squish-ier for sure.
Good-squishier? Interesting that both Crank Brothers and the PB review of the Zipps seem to think compliance is good in a front but less so in a rear wheel. Any feeling of vagueness in the back with the S35s?

I have a set of 941s and a set of Nox Farlow wheels, both on nice I9 hubs. As a winter project, I'm considering replacing front rims with something "compliant," maybe moving the Farlows (stiff and a tad narrower) to the back of both wheel sets.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Good-squishier? Interesting that both Crank Brothers and the PB review of the Zipps seem to think compliance is good in a front but less so in a rear wheel. Any feeling of vagueness in the back with the S35s?

I have a set of 941s and a set of Nox Farlow wheels, both on nice I9 hubs. As a winter project, I'm considering replacing front rims with something "compliant," maybe moving the Farlows (stiff and a tad narrower) to the back of both wheel sets.
I find all my control comes from the front and the back is more or less along for the ride. All my years of riding hardtails in the 90's likely. I can't drift and steer the rear like the pro enduro/downhill guys can.

So that said the front compliance feels fine, I doubt I'll miss the stiffness of the 942's. Rear has no drawbacks for me.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Did you ever end up trying out the S35 or Synthesis rim? I'm also curious if these are less vertically stiff over most carbon rims. I have the Nobl TR36/LB AM930 rims and they're quite stiff over rocky terrain.

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,756 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts