Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 673 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25 Posts
First ride review now live

Our first impressions of the updated Ripmo are here.

Pros: Better high-speed handling, some improved frame features.
Cons: Gives up a bit in slow-speed technical maneuvers.
Worth the money?: Maybe if you own the older version but want to run a coil. Probably not if you already own a Ripmo AF.
It's still a great option for riders looking to purchase an all-arounder.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
OG Ripmo + -1 Works Component or.... decisions, decisions.
Guess if you're heavier and not already in the Ibis family, the V2 makes sense.
$2999 msrp vs finding OG on sale.

Good time to be a Ripmo buyer.

·
Ride On!
995 Posts
All I got to say is NICE!!! It looks to be another great bike, glad to see they stuck with the geometry of the Ripmo AF and did not go to something else. Being an OG owner, it is great to see a company that sticks with what works. Got to admit, I am drooling a bit for the Star Destroyer Grey, really like it!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The new bike looks great, makes sense they're sticking with a winning formula.

As an OG Ripmo owner, I don't see anything here that gives me new-bike lust. Very minor tweaks, which will be great for new buyers but seem unlikely to inspire OG owners to upgrade.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Anyone see or hear anything yet as to what that actual progression percentage is now? Old one was like 8%. Most of the newest bikes that are really, truly coil compatible are about 25%.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
OG Ripmo + -1 Works Component or.... decisions, decisions.
Guess if you're heavier and not already in the Ibis family, the V2 makes sense.
$2999 msrp vs finding OG on sale.

Good time to be a Ripmo buyer.
Or be like the youtuber "Loam Ranger" and put WORKS angle set on the new Ripmo 64.9 down to 63.9, HA! That's what Jeff Kendall Weed recommended as well on his Youtube review of the bike. He also recommended 165 crank arms because of all the pedal strikes, low bb...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I think I know what my new bike is going to be. This thing hits all the numbers and from Jeff KW said, it's not losing any of the playfulness the OG Ripmo had. Found a few LBS that will be getting some in stock in 2-3 weeks. The online retailers are not getting any till April.

This bike is going to crush it! I'll miss that cool looking blue the OG bike had but nothing a nice 3M wrap can't take care of and protect the frame to boot. Ibis is going to grow big time from this bike. I have a feeling we'll be seeing much more of Ibis on the trails

·
Ride On!
995 Posts
Or be like the youtuber "Loam Ranger" and put WORKS angle set on the new Ripmo 64.9 down to 63.9, HA! That's what Jeff Kendall Weed recommended as well on his Youtube review of the bike. He also recommended 165 crank arms because of all the pedal strikes, low bb...
Saw the review of JKW.. just kinda take his review as a good "one-off" due to the Trust fork. Just seems that that much of a change to the stock geo whether for better or worse taints the review.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
... That's what Jeff Kendall Weed recommended as well on his Youtube review of the bike. He also recommended 165 crank arms because of all the pedal strikes, low bb...
Ok this getting silly. 165 crank arms? Why not get 155 from a kids bike? I know JKW is damn good rider (far better than me down up or anywhere), but do you actually plan on pedaling this bike? I am on 175mm crank arms and have zero desire to go shorter as I need to pedal this bike

Reactions: westeast

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm pretty fickle with bikes and my last few bikes haven't lasted more than a year before I wanted a new one. I don't feel compelled to sell my V1 just yet. It'm having too much fun with the V1. It's been a while since I've felt I didn't have to have the latest and newest (maybe not greatest) HAHA :D

The Enduro Mag article states the Ripmo V1 vs. V2 has subtle differences where it's a solid pros vs cons. You're losing some playfulness etc with the V2 but honestly... i'm probably not that good of a rider to notice... hence... not compelled to want to sell my V1 yet.

Both are amazing bikes!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Ok this getting silly. 165 crank arms? Why not get 155 from a kids bike? I know JKW is damn good rider (far better than me down up or anywhere), but do you actually plan on pedaling this bike? I am on 175mm crank arms and have zero desire to go shorter as I need to pedal this bike
I guess I'm silly then. I went from decades on 175 to 165 when I went from a hardtail to a Transition Smuggler, and if it had any effect on my ability to pedal the bike I sure didn't notice it. Still running them on my Ripley, and all my bikes now. Zero regrets, and less thinking about pedal strikes. Several of my riding buddies have made the same change with similar results.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Research suggests that small differences in crank length don't have a lot of affect on pedaling efficiency at different submaximal outputs. They did +/- 5mm, so I don't know if 10mm would be different, but it seems that we all might think crank length matters more than it does.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02640414.2016.1215490?journalCode=rjsp20

·
Registered
211 Posts
Prices dropping. New large V1 Ripmo frame delivered in US for substantial % off msrp (no tax to my state) from a popular/reputable seller. Don't know color. As with others, he won't get V2 for a few weeks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
But so many people said it'd be ruined if they make it a carbon AF! Lol. Still not into the scallop graphics but the colors are nice and why don't these companies put 2 accessory bosses for a tube on the underside of the top tube? Seeing a tube velcro'd onto an $8,000 bike's new paint is janky.

1 - 20 of 673 Posts