Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing with the setup on my bike and decided to start a new thread in order to compile data from other users. I'm going to steal the format from alexbn921's Ripmo tuning thread since it worked well. Once we get a bunch of info compiled, we can share an excel spreadsheet in Google Docs.

This bike is a lot simpler to tune than the Ripmo due to the suspension components themselves not being nearly as adjustable, but the more info we share, the easier it is for everyone to dial in their bikes. I'm using a Shockwiz so I'll share info from that as well. I'll note for those who are new to this, that the recommended settings from Fox/Ibis usually suck for most people. Their recommendations would have me running 96psi :eekster: in the fork and 245-250psi in the shock, which would basically be rigid up front and pretty stiff out back. The settings below have me using all the travel on bigger 4-5ft drops and steep chunky descents, but not bottoming out harshly at all.

Stick with the template below, and for consistency, all settings will be measured from fully CLOSED (clockwise) unless otherwise noted.

Frame size - L
Rider weight ready to ride - 205 lb
Riding style - Moderate / aggressive "XC"
Terrain - FL, varied terrain with mostly short punchy ups and downs, drops, jumps, rock gardens thrown into the mix

Wheelset: Ibis 935, 29mm internal width

Tire Setup 1 "Home" FL setup
Front Tire - Maxxis Rekon 3C/EXO/TR 2.6" 18psi
Rear Tire - Bontrager XR2 Team Issue 2.6" 22psi

Tire Setup 2 "Vacation" setup for mountain trips
Front Tire - Bontrager XR5 Team Issue 2.6"
Rear Tire - Bontrager SE4 Team Issue 2.4"

Suspension Setup
Fork 2020 Fox 34 Factory FIT4 44m Offset 130mm, comes with 3 10cc green volume spacers

Air Pressure________72 psi
Volume Spacers_____3
Sag_______________20%
Rebound___________13 clicks from fully closed (7 from open)
LSC_______________17 clicks from fully closed (3 from open)
HSC_______________fully open

Shock 2020 Fox Factory DPS EVOL 190x45mm, comes with 0.6^in (yellow) spacer

Air Pressure________237 psi
Volume Spacer______0.6^in
Sag_______________25% (30% dynamic according to Shockwiz)
Rebound___________5 clicks from fully closed (9 from open)
LSC / "Open Mode Adjust" - Position 1 (open), Will use 2 on trails with more pedally sections

Shockwiz likes this shock setup for the most part, but frequently asks for softer HSC, which I can't do anything about. I might drop pressure a few psi and see how it does. Also wants less LSC damping, but this is presumably due to the high anti-squat of the DW-Link suspension as there is next to zero pedal bob - I consistently ran into this on my Ripmo, as have others. Haven't hooked the Shockwiz up to the fork yet, but will soon and will post an update if anything changes.
Will soon be swapping the fork air shaft to a 140mm and installing a Vorsprung Luftkappe as well.

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
Great idea and start.

I am surprised at your fork air pressure. We're not too far off in riding weight, and I run about 90psi per Fox and Ibis setup recommendations. I have the standard performance version and have not spent any time setting up via fork sag. I wouldn't say the fork has felt supple. I feel that especially on chunkier descents. Maybe I should try lower psi. ;-) With the DPS shock, we are setup very similar.

Edit: I will revise this post with the copy-paste section and my data per the directions after I make a few more adjustments. I like to play with different settings over time before I settle on what I like. I'm a ride first now, think about details later kind of person.

·
In Transit
1,097 Posts
Have any of you guys gotten the Fox 34 FIT4 to feel like anything approaching plush for small bumps and chatter? I’m struggling with that currently after four rides, including a session of bracketing a la DIALED (on a tame XC section though). I’m about 205lb geared up as well running these settings on my last ride:

Pressure: 80psi
Sag: 25% (attack position)
Rebound: 19 clicks
Compression: 18 clicks
Lever: 1 (open)
Volume spacers: 2

It feels like what I imagine a SID to ride like, stiff and quick but you’ll get hammered by high speed chatter and I was struggling to get into the last 25mm of travel even after taking a spacer out. Seems like complaints about the FIT4’s small bump sensitivity are commonplace so a Luftkappe may be in my future, and I’m not even that discerning about suspension (my TALAS actually rode great imo!).

I’m going to drop pressure next and not worry about where sag is for now.

Any of you guys having better luck?

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
What worked for me was removing both spacers, add about 10-15 psi and back off the reb/comp. Start reb/comp at half from full stop and go from there. It will come. And make sure to make ALL your adjustments in OPEN position....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with the stock settings being too aggressive. I had a bad spill last week and I think it was because my fork was too harsh. Skipped over a rock and completely lost traction. Anyway, i'm in the 200-205lb range too, and matt.s67's fork pressure surprises me. I have the sag at 25% and my pressure is 86. Maybe i'm not doing the sag right. I typically get off my saddle to attack position.

·
In Transit
1,097 Posts
I agree with the stock settings being too aggressive. I had a bad spill last week and I think it was because my shock was too harsh. Skipped over a rock and completely lost traction. Anyway, i'm in the 200-205lb range too, and matt.s67's fork pressure surprises me. I have the sag at 25% and my pressure is 86. Maybe i'm not doing the sag right. I typically get off my saddle to attack position.
Setting sag in the attack position is what Jordi from Fox advises in the DIALED episode about basic setup. He also says to do it without using any help from the brakes, which I find to be impossible by myself.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Pivot's guide recommends about 70-72 psi for a Fox 34. Their guide is much better IMO than either Ibis' or Fox's guides. Fox recommendations have ALWAYS been way to harsh on my forks, I've always gone about 10-20% less than what they say.

·
In Transit
1,097 Posts
Have any of you guys gotten the Fox 34 FIT4 to feel like anything approaching plush for small bumps and chatter? I'm struggling with that currently after four rides, including a session of bracketing a la DIALED (on a tame XC section though). I'm about 205lb geared up as well running these settings on my last ride:

Pressure: 80psi
Sag: 20% (attack position)
Compression: 18 clicks

It feels like what I imagine a SID to ride like, stiff and quick but you'll get hammered by high speed chatter and I was struggling to get into the last 25mm of travel even after taking a spacer out. Seems like complaints about the FIT4's small bump sensitivity are commonplace so a Luftkappe may be in my future, and I'm not even that discerning about suspension (my TALAS actually rode great imo!).

I'm going to drop pressure next and not worry about where sag is for now.

Any of you guys having better luck?
(Correction in bold above)

So I had a much better time with the Fox 34 just now on one of my favorite local flow trails. Though there's not much in the way of rock gardens, there are a decent number of crests to pop off heading down and get a couple feet of air. I have aired down my fork, opened up compression a couple of clicks, and aired down my tires a couple of psi with an accu-gauge rather than using my pump's gauge. I used 124mm of travel today.

Here's where I'm at now:

Rider weight: 205lbs
Pressure: 68psi
Compression: 20 clicks
Tire Pressure: 19f/23r HD/NN

Fork is feeling more dialed now but the shock is feeling stiff and fast in comparison so I'll prob focus on balancing out the rear end on the next couple of rides. I'm just happy that the fork is useable at this point.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
(Correction in bold above)

So I had a much better time with the Fox 34 just now on one of my favorite local flow trails. Though there's not much in the way of rock gardens, there are a decent number of crests to pop off heading down and get a couple feet of air. I have aired down my fork, opened up compression a couple of clicks, and aired down my tires a couple of psi with an accu-gauge rather than using my pump's gauge. I used 124mm of travel today.

Here's where I'm at now:

Rider weight: 205lbs
Pressure: 68psi
Compression: 20 clicks
Tire Pressure: 19f/23r HD/NN

Fork is feeling more dialed now but the shock is feeling stiff and fast in comparison so I'll prob focus on balancing out the rear end on the next couple of rides. I'm just happy that the fork is useable at this point.
Those seem like very strange settings for your fork. Are you sure?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been tweaking my suspension settings the last couple weeks. Figured I would add it to the thread since my fork pressure seems to be way of the previous couple of guys.

I'm 175 pounds with gear.
My 130mm performance 34 fork with the stock 3 spacers installed is currently at 78psi and 9 clicks of rebound. This gives me about 25% sag and I use most of the travel every ride.
Performance shock is at 210 psi and 6 clicks of rebound to give me about 30% sag. And I'm also using most of that travel every ride.

Does seem strange that I'm running more psi in the fork than the other 2 guys who weight 30 pounds more than me.....

·
In Transit
1,097 Posts
I have been tweaking my suspension settings the last couple weeks. Figured I would add it to the thread since my fork pressure seems to be way of the previous couple of guys.

I'm 175 pounds with gear.
My 130mm performance 34 fork with the stock 3 spacers installed is currently at 78psi and 9 clicks of rebound. This gives me about 25% sag and I use most of the travel every ride.
Performance shock is at 210 psi and 6 clicks of rebound to give me about 30% sag. And I'm also using most of that travel every ride.

Does seem strange that I'm running more psi in the fork than the other 2 guys who weight 30 pounds more than me.....
Did you just ride EWS Northstar or something? How big are you going?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ha ha. No that's the thing. I would call myself an intermediate rider and not doing any drops or big hits at all.
The shock pressure seems close at least but there must be something different between the fox 34's we have. Performance wouldnt be tuned any different that factory?

·
In Transit
1,097 Posts
Ha ha. No that's the thing. I would call myself an intermediate rider and not doing any drops or big hits at all.
The shock pressure seems close at least but there must be something different between the fox 34's we have. Performance wouldnt be tuned any different that factory?
Perhaps you don't have any volume spacers installed in that case?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Doubtfull that ibis, or fox for that matter, would ship a bike without any of the 3 spacers.
Maybe it's more likely that my shock pump reads a little high and yours reads on the low end. Especially when "smmokan" is running same pressure as you but also weights 30 pounds less.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"Big hits" is fairly subjective. I'm using the travel but I have yet to actually feel it bottom out. Maybe if a few others post there fork pressures and there riding weight we will have a better idea. Right now we have you on the low end, me on the high end, and "smmokan" in between us.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts