Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have seen a lot of post and pics about the Ripley, but most of them are built with the best components around, Xtr, xx1, pike , enve kris king and so on.

I am looking for real life impressions on the special blend.

How are the x fusion shocks and forks behaving?, have someone used the trace with 140 instead of 120?

Did someone get the white Trace,?

I demoed one with fox 120mm and xt/ components and I really liked, but I can only afford the special blend, the distributor says that at the moment Ibis is out of stock, and I need to wait until May 15, so I have some time to re think my decision

By the way the only Ripley that I have seen with a white Trace is the one in Jeff Kendal's video.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Xfusion Suspension is way better than people expect, do not fear them. They are all metal with high build quality. I bought the special blend just so I could get the xfusion stuff.
My trace is 120, but i may convert it to 140 soon just to see how the bike feels.
I updated the cranks to XTR triple and got the carbon bars and Lev post. 28.2 lbs like that.
The shock is friggin tiny but has survived quite well under my 200lbs, and rides nicely. Even did an enduro/dh race on it and got 3rd in cat 1. That was on my third time riding it too.
The wheels are fine too. Not light, but will last until I can save up to get some new ones.
The tires should be swapped out unless you plan on doing xc races.
As stuff breaks and wears out I'll be updating to higher end parts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The special blend seems to be a good way to get on a Ripley at a good price. I sure wish they had it when I bought mine :/

Ah well, what is done, is done :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems that the x fusion trace is always out of stock, that could only mean that the thing is very good and they can't keep up with the demand ( or they have a bad demand planning system)

I am planning to do some upgrades with parts that I already have from my old Mojo Sl, xt brakes, haven carbon bar, Ks lev post.

I was able to see an HDR with the special blend kit and the race face cranks looked very well so I will keep them

My original plan was to get the special blend whit the rapid wheels, an later on try to sell them and get some light bicycle carbon wheels, they are around 740 Usd shipped to Mexico, but then Ibis came out with the new normal and the new wide wheels, and if I get them with the bike they are 900 more and of course with the Ibis warranty. It is tempting me.

The distributor here in Mexico will think that I am mad since I refuse to pay the 400 upgrade for the fox kit.

Are carbon wheels really that good (generally speaking)?, did they really "transform" your bike or it is only part of the "upgradeitis" and marketing ?, what I mean is that I can pay 187 Usd more and get a perfectly fine pair of Stan's arch ex 1770 grams or pay 900 and get a brand new set of ibis new wide?

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
I got carbon havens for my HD and like the upgrade. The weight savings was very noticeable. Ibis released their carbon wheels 3 weeks after I got my Ripley. Had I known I would have waited and got carbon wheels for sure.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've a white Pike on the front of Ripley and it looks OK.

Bought a white Trace for my partner's Czar. The Trace seems to be very nice indeed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts