Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would the Ibis Ripley OG(with a 130mm), 941 wheelset (35mm inner) compare in xc racing compared to let's say a Scott Spark RC/non-RC, new Rocky Mountain Element (120mm front) or another xc bike. Looking to use the bike in XC racing and marathons as fast as possible. I believe I have read before people using it for xc racing around here

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Ripley should be OK, get a set of wide XC race tires and just ride it. The weight of the bike will probably be the biggest issue, but you should be able to compete. The true XC FS bikes would be quicker, but I have ridden the Ripley LS for a week recently, it was not slow.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike comes with 941 wheelset. Dropper. It's probably (wild guess) around 24-26 pounds with a dropper?!

72.2 seat tube angle seems slack as well for my small 4ish cm setback.

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,862 Posts
Shy of top stop Cat 1 racers, the bike matters far less then the rider. Just ride what you have.

I was winning my Cat 3 races on a 28 pound 130mm trail bike before I found out I could elect to advance any time.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I saw Evan Plews smoke the Cascade Cream Puff 100 field on an OG Ripley several years ago.

I don't suspect the bike was the main factor in his success, but it sure didn't seem to be holding him back, either!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I raced a Ripley LS all season and had great success. It was awesome on rougher courses.

24.5 lbs all in, no dropper, real tires. The travel (120 rear/130 front) wasn't a problem.

The slack-ish SA kinda made it a tough fit, though.
Plans to change race bikes next year?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Nice. That was "tied" with the Ripley originally, and fit you perfect, if I recall correctly. Your posts regarding which race bike was the main reason I didn't go Ripley. Reach & STA for a 5'10" with 32" pant inseam forced me into XL and that was just all wonky!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I raced a Ripley LS all season and had great success. It was awesome on rougher courses.

24.5 lbs all in, no dropper, real tires. The travel (120 rear/130 front) wasn't a problem.

The slack-ish SA kinda made it a tough fit, though.
Yeah, I think with my short saddle setback it might be an issue. Thanks for the feedback !

·
Registered Dietitian
1,686 Posts
Mind if I ask where you sourced your frame, and what color? Got a friend wanting to do the same but all he can find is the green frame...
All the frame only options are green. You would have to buy a complete bike and strip it down to get a different color frame. Next year's frame only option is purple but it will not be available until March, per Kona… Personally, I think the green looks fantastic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts