Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very interested in picking up a mojo, the show stopper might be the placement of the water bottle cage. I absolutely hate to wear a camelbak, especially racing, and generally carry a bottle on the bike, and one in the rear pocket of my jersey.

Is the cage reachable at all while you are riding on the bike?

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
seat post mounted standard cage?

I’ve searched the web to find a good seat post mounted standard cage, but haven’t seen one. Any suggestions?

Attaching a quick release water bottle cage onto the seat post would be handy for racing or short ride use.

For longer rides everyone uses water packs and goo or energy bars and a place for tools and clothing layers, so no need for water bottles.

Attaching pounds of water and tool weight to the bike ruins handling and is less efficient.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Try this: http://www.twofish.biz/bike.html
It will probably work better if you have a bit of post showing. I tried the two fish cage attached to my seatpost (small 575) but at full compression, the rear tire would eject the bottle from the cage. You can probably test it by taping a regular cage on to your seatpost, letting all the air out of your RP3 and depressing the rear shock to max to see if the tire will contact the cage...

·
Registered
82 Posts
so so

You can get the bottle when riding. it is not to bad when ur on a rec ride, i just throw a bottle on when i do short recovery rides and and extra in a pocket for normal rides but do use a camel back for big rides primarily for the amount of water and gear i carry. In race conditions i think it would probably be a little hard but not impossible to use the cage. It is all personal really about how comfortable you are and how well you can reach it on ur specific set up.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
With the current cage location, my bottle gets covered in mud very quickly. I've wondered if there was something else that could be done, like a seat post mount. I hate camelbacks too, but not because they are irritating to wear but because of the cleaning hassles. Sometimes I just put a water bottle in my pack instead.

·
Registered
962 Posts
idea for water bottle

I am going to try to attach my water bottle cage to my carbon fiber seat post. The post is
a little long so I will practice on the extra piece that needs cut off. I think drilling a hole
then put some jb thread bond in the hole, then tap it out should work. the small holes
should not be a problem for strength of the seat tube.
Mitch
Boise Idaho

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
mtbmitch2 said:
I am going to try to attach my water bottle cage to my carbon fiber seat post. The post is
a little long so I will practice on the extra piece that needs cut off. I think drilling a hole
then put some jb thread bond in the hole, then tap it out should work. the small holes
should not be a problem for strength of the seat tube.
Mitch
Boise Idaho
I don't know about drilling holes in CF posts. That sounds mighty dangerous (heck, I wouldn't do that on a Thompson post).

·
Has a cycling disorder
536 Posts
Genbander said:
I am very interested in picking up a mojo, the show stopper might be the placement of the water bottle cage. I absolutely hate to wear a camelbak, especially racing, and generally carry a bottle on the bike, and one in the rear pocket of my jersey.

Is the cage reachable at all while you are riding on the bike?
Yes, but I wouldn't try this while racing - I'd have my tools there instead, inside a screw top bottle.

I use a bum bag which has bottle holders either side that I use for racing instead of a camelbak. It's cooler, and pretty easy to get to the water bottles. It does have a tendancy to bounce around on the bumpy stuff, but otherwise I find it pretty good for xc racing.

Fish

·
Registered
82 Posts
change the bottle not the cage

I have seen bottles that have a camelback like tube that runs from the bottle to the handle bars so that you can drink w/o touching the bottle. this might be an easy solution. it doesnot work for the guy who did not like to clean the camels back but for some others it might help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
For tall folks it might be an option to try and mount a bottle holder on the top tube, as far back as possible. It will interfere with your standover height and might be difficult to do without interfereing with the cables, but it works quite well on my current Bionicon.

Cheers
Jever

·
Registered
247 Posts
An update on an old topic. Just installed a bottleholder on the back of my seat post yesterday. Works sweet, doesn't interfere with the 4" Gravity Drooper.

2 things to note:
- You have to have long legs to make it work (I am 6'6', with almost 40" cycling inseam)
- I would suggest using a side opening cage - when i tried a similar thing with a front opening one, it bent open and the bottle fell out

Cheers
Jever

PS: I know it is not purdy, but I'll be doing a 9 day trip (finally!) soon, where I don't want to carry a camel bag in addition to all my stuff

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Ya know, I really did not think I would this easily get used to carrying an extra smaller bladder in my camelbak for my glycogen mix but I have. It's just remembering to wash it out after every ride that is still an issue. Also, I have gotten really used to running a very small camel back and it still fits 2 a 50 and about 60-70% filled 100 oz bladders (a kids mini-mule.) I'm only 5'/9" tall so works well after it stretched out a bit. I'd race with it no problem.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Well, first of all, I wont even think of drilling my seat post, especially carbon :).
It's not safe and very risky like the rest said.

Well, I was wondering if anyone tried making a water bottle which has a hose like the normal hydration packs? Might solve the water bottle placement or might not :D.

Jever idea seems the best solution though.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I dont have problems reaching the bottle when riding..

But I think it helps that have done lots of drills stretching down to pick up stones lying on the trail while riding "reach down and grab" (I often use to loose water bottles and did not enjoy stopping to pick them up again)

Anyway, I also hate wearing a camel back and after a ride last week my bottle mouth piece was so full of crap I was to scared to drink from the bottle . so I searched and found the solution...

No more Belgium toothpaste on my bottle nozzle any more.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts