Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
damn! Wonder if the shock was being run too soft and was causing the suspension to bottom super hard.

·
Registered
267 Posts
JRA... ;)

They were getting some decent height there and the shock was possibly the wrong size? Otherwise, I bet he was wishing for that extra 1/2lb of material the HD has.... strong, light, cheap; pick any two.

It is an impressive catastrophic failure for sure.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
JRA... ;)

They were getting some decent height there and the shock was possibly the wrong size? Otherwise, I bet he was wishing for that extra 1/2lb of material the HD has.... strong, light, cheap; pick any two.

It is an impressive catastrophic failure for sure.
You can see in the comments that ibis warrantied the frame. Are you saying the HDR is weaker than the HD? I doubt that.

I also doubt he was running the wrong shock. Sometimes frames break, and when the whole rear triangle shears off, it's usually a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
158 Posts
can somebody from Ibis at least tell us what happened was it a factory defect or does hdr cannot handle such kinda ride. I'm just scared that this might happen to my hdr.

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
If I were to take a guess, it would be cold temperature combined with coming down hard with a big side load on the rear wheel from not landing in line with the direction of travel.

We ought to place bets on what happened. Haha.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just bought a hdr frame, and this is the least of my worries. That step down is a good size to hit during the day, with the sun shining. POVs always makes things look smaller, I would say that's 20ish feet. If this guy has the ballz to hit that drop at night, in the snow, with cold temps, what is he hitting in prime conditions? The cold temps could have changed the shock pressure, causing a full bottom out... Plus, when its cold out, I'm never light on my feet. Has he hit bigger sh:t and come up short in the past?

I don't go this big... I've never met anyone who goes this big in those conditions!

·
Registered
81 Posts
This frame was sitting in the shop when I picked up my HDR frame :D Ibis warranted the frame without any questions asked. The frame was almost brand new when this happened, think this was his second ride or something. I can dig up some more details and post later today if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I don't get the rush to figure out what this guy did "wrong." He's presumably a pretty experienced rider. Frames break, but they rarely just blow up like that. Usually when you push a frame too hard, it cracks but is still rideable. This was a catastrophic failure that could have been life-threatening in other circumstances. The HDR is a bike designed to go big, is it not?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not so sure its about what the guy did "wrong" in particular, but simply what went wrong in general. Yes it definitely could have been a lot worse, so luckily he was not hurt at all. I think we're all thinking the HDR is designed to go big (luckily I'm not doing 20ft!), so catastrophic failures like that doesn't sit too well. I'm ok with having to deal with the possibility of cracks, but not a blow up like that. hehe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think there was simply something wrong with the frame. The shock was the standard Fox Coil that Ibis offers as an option for the HDR. But yes, the swing broke right where the cut aways for the tire is, not so strange since it is probably the weakest point of the seatstays. Any way, ibis replaced the frame and all damaged parts with out question. If you're interested in a better view of the trail, here's a really nice video of Mathias riding his HD on it during summer. 1 Lap at Oddride: http://youtu.be/zNGOLb8h1Hg

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Holy ISH

I've never met anyone who goes this big in those conditions!
^^^...THIS! Um, IMO that's some ballzy riding.

Night + Snow + Big + Tight = RESPECT. :thumbsup:

I've seen AL frames fail in some pretty spectacular, and similar ways, but CF very rarely like that. I'd say it's possibly temps had something to do with it, but it also seems likely that it's a combo of Wrong Things happening at the Wrong Time, which also might include a defect.

Let's all remember that made in China or not, all CF frames are hand made, and sometimes a small defect may sneak through. All manufacturers have defects, and a big part of the character of a company is how they handle them.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think there was simply something wrong with the frame. The shock was the standard Fox Coil that Ibis offers as an option for the HDR. But yes, the swing broke right where the cut aways for the tire is, not so strange since it is probably the weakest point of the seatstays. Any way, ibis replaced the frame and all damaged parts with out question. If you're interested in a better view of the trail, here's a really nice video of Mathias riding his HD on it during summer. 1 Lap at Oddride: 1 Lap at Oddride - YouTube
Man I'd love to ride like that but at 43 my days of starting to hit big stuff anre dwindling....

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
This is known as an infant failure. Essentially there was some sort of manufacturing defect in the swing arm causing the failure. It happens to every manufacturer at some point (I have some stories about BMW, Porsche etc). Ibis did the right thing and replaced it immediately without question. That is as good as you can expect.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not the slightest, if there was any issues with the HDR rear triangle there would have been other reports of this. There are other HDR owners who ride even bigger stuff regularly. But this is the only case of a snapped HDR rear triangle I have heard of :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts