Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to end up having both of these frames (lost mail, ended up buying a 2nd frame, then other one found).

I originally got the Mojo HDR because I wanted a burlier bike to replace my Mojo SL that I've had for several years, but after reading reports about how well the Canfield Balance climbs, I figured that it might be a better option for higher performance downhill without losing much on the climbs.

Thoughts?

Btw, I'll be using 26" wheels for now.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2016 Balance?
There aren't very many used, but I happened to find one at a lower price than HD3s are going for from a guy that wanted to try the 29er Riot instead. I was also looking at a 2015 version, but figured the updates for 2016 were worthwhile.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
It's simple, build one and ride for a while, then swap parts to the other.
Who better to tell you which is best for you than you after riding them both?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone mentioned to me they think aluminum sucks so I decided I'll build up the HDR and ride that for a few weeks before trying out the Balance. Will report back in about a month.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Someone mentioned to me they think aluminum sucks so I decided I'll build up the HDR and ride that for a few weeks before trying out the Balance. Will report back in about a month.
What a well rounded thought. So for all those years I've been riding sucky bikes. Man I wish I had know.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I'd happily swap my HD3 for a Balance. I miss the easy care nature of a well built aluminium frame.
Get a Mojo 3... I've ridden the crap out of mine across UT, CO, and AZ for over 1500 miles in the last six months and it hasn't needed a single thing other than cleaning it off after every ride.

·
default title
537 Posts
There aren't very many used, but I happened to find one at a lower price than HD3s are going for from a guy that wanted to try the 29er Riot instead. I was also looking at a 2015 version, but figured the updates for 2016 were worthwhile.
2016 Balance is built around 27.5" wheels and a 13.5" bottom bracket height. Dropping the bb by putting on 26" wheels could make the bike awkward.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
What a well rounded thought. So for all those years I've been riding sucky bikes. Man I wish I had know.
Haha, I agree that it seemed like silly reasoning. My other bike is a steel On One Inbred. The max fork length is 120 mm, but running it with a 140 mm fork should give me about a 4 degree slacker HA -- 66 from 70 since the a2c is 89 mm longer. I took that bike on a trail called rock garden, which isn't all that steep, but still chunky. Felt like the perfect angle on the fork.

So that makes me think the HDR head angle at 67.5 degrees would leave me feeling less confident on steep rocky trails. Although just looking at how much thicker all the tubes and axles are, it seems like it should handle a lot more than my Mojo SL.

2016 Balance is built around 27.5" wheels and a 13.5" bottom bracket height. Dropping the bb by putting on 26" wheels could make the bike awkward.
Probably a bit, but I'm also getting 165 mm cranks. I called Canfield and they said people do it and that it's fine. Nice to have a very future proof frame. Although HDR also can run 650b, but not with 2.4 tires on wide rims I'd guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts