Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I currently own an original Mojo C. I've upgraded it slightly over the years to scratch the itch of wanting a new bike. I've reached a point where I don't think it makes sense to keep spending money to upgrade the bike. Does it ride great? Yes. Is it perfect? No, but I still love the bike.

As I'm improving as a rider, I'm always wanting for a little more. More suspension and a little more stiffness would be nice.

Pricewise I could swing a used Mojo HD right now and I'm sure it'll be great for many years to come. My dilemma is, should I go ahead and jump in, or should I wait and save up more for a 27.5" 160mm travel bike in a year? I don't get to try a lot of new bikes, so I'm looking to some of you who own an HD or have ridden other 27.5" bikes for honest feedback.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I would wait as well. The progression in geometry is a bigger difference than wheel size. Personally I think that we will see a stabilization of head angles around 65-66 degrees with the much longer front centers as seen on the new Nomad. Pivot's Mach 6 is most of the way there as well. The HD is a fantastic bike, but the industry is definitely continuing to develop this style of bike.

·
Sponge Brain
134 Posts
I agree to wait.

I don't see the next Ibis having that slack of a head angle. Just not their preferred style. Same goes for the longer top tubes we are seeing on a lot of the top end bikes.

·
screamer
1,361 Posts
I disagree: go for it! The HD will help progress your riding relative to the Mojo C -- it did for me! -- no matter how you have it set up, and life is too short not to take full advantage. There are lots of good deals on used HDs out there as people jump to other 650b frames. Even if Ibis comes out with another bike in a years' time, you'll still be able to sell the HD for a decent amount, and way less of a delta than if you were buying new. Think of whatever cash you "lose" on the deal as a fee for riding an awesome bike in the meantime. Plus the improvement in skills that you'll get from the HD will pay dividends when you can take full advantage of whatever awesomeness ibis releases in the future.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
You can get used HD's for fairly cheap and you definitely will love it. Really the new bikes are sick but most people I see on them are either racers or people who like to spend money on the latest stuff. a tiny bit bigger wheel is not going to make you a better rider, and neither will a half degree slacker headtube or a shorter stem.

The biggest thing about the HD v the new bikes is the new bike frames are almost a pound or more lighter, if that matters to you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Everyone makes good points, and I've pretty much had most of those thoughts floating through my head for a while now. Probably going to wait, but if a great deal comes up I might have to go for it. Happy riding!

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
Hey all,

I currently own an original Mojo C. I've upgraded it slightly over the years to scratch the itch of wanting a new bike. I've reached a point where I don't think it makes sense to keep spending money to upgrade the bike. Does it ride great? Yes. Is it perfect? No, but I still love the bike.

As I'm improving as a rider, I'm always wanting for a little more. More suspension and a little more stiffness would be nice.

Pricewise I could swing a used Mojo HD right now and I'm sure it'll be great for many years to come. My dilemma is, should I go ahead and jump in, or should I wait and save up more for a 27.5" 160mm travel bike in a year? I don't get to try a lot of new bikes, so I'm looking to some of you who own an HD or have ridden other 27.5" bikes for honest feedback.

Thanks in advance!
I don't think you'll see a Ibis 160mm 650B bike with clearance for big tires in a year.

I guess it depends how long you are willing to wait and if you are okay buying non-Ibis.

If you are Ibis only and can ride the 26er is dead wave and get a real good deal [like 30%+ off] on a HD I would grab one now and ride it.

If you are willing to switch brands there are long travel 650B bikes available from a several brands that are great and available today.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Like the guys above pretty much said: the HD 26 is a bang on bike. Of course the shift towards 27,5 can' we stopped, as geometries are evolving. To a big degree an angleset can update most of it.
To me, the HDR with bigger wheels does not translate the original 26er.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just pull the trigger on the HD. I have found that if you are constantly waiting on the "new" or "better" option to be available, you will end up in a usless cycle. As soon as (or even if) the 160 travel 650b comes out, there will be new brakes that you will want that won't be releasing for 3 more months so you wait again, or the industry will shift to the latest and greatest 28.125" wheels so you wait again.

The fact of the matter is most of the bikes released by the better manufacturers are all very capable machines. Get on one and give it hell.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Just pull the trigger on the HD. I have found that if you are constantly waiting on the "new" or "better" option to be available, you will end up in a usless cycle. As soon as (or even if) the 160 travel 650b comes out, there will be new brakes that you will want that won't be releasing for 3 more months so you wait again, or the industry will shift to the latest and greatest 28.125" wheels so you wait again.

The fact of the matter is most of the bikes released by the better manufacturers are all very capable machines. Get on one and give it hell.
Yup :thumbsup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So many compelling arguments. I'm not usually one to hesitate if I find something I like. I bought the Mojo C and it seems like immediately after the entire bike industry shifted:
15mm thru axle forks standard on every bike
12 x 142mm rear end pretty much standard
Tapered head tubes/steerers definitely the norm now
The list goes on, but those are the major ones I can think of...

I think I'm going straight for a 36mm equipped bike with 20mm thru.

For now I'll the keep money safe in my piggy bank, and if I see a deal I will smash it!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
810 Posts
Find a deal and go for it....I went from a Mojo C to an HD (both used) about 2.5 years ago and couldn't be happier...the HD even thought it had a 36 Fox 160mm and was 1+lbs heavier, a better climber and so much more fun on the way down (slacker, much stiffer). I wouldn't wait for the latest/greatest unless you can afford full retail pricing... sounds like you are looking at used, so the HD right now can be had for good prices and is really a step above the original Mojo you will be stocked for a long time... I wouldn't wait....

27.5 feels like a marketing hype to me so far... if you measure the diameter it's only about 20mm longer (so half the 'claimed' +1.5") and I rode a front wheel 27 back to back against my 26 on some rough terrain on my bike this week and the difference to me was small. I liked the extra 10mm AC a lot more, so I know I'm gonna raise my Pike to the full 160mm travel (I bought a 27 Pike as I figure it would give me more tire options, and still run 26 just fine). That doesn't mean I won't be 27.5 wheels in the future (can't really use in rear due to seat tube clearance without sever travel reduction) because some of the new super wide carbon rims are 27/29 only (like Ibis). But I wouldn't bother just to get extra 10mm radius! 29" wheels feel very different to me. 27.5, not really.

15mm thru axle forks standard on every bike
12 x 142mm rear end pretty much standard
Tapered head tubes/steerers definitely the norm now
15/20mm are definitely much stiffer, so are the 34/35 forks vs 32, for not more weight (ex: new Pike vs old revelation are real close).
142x12 - I don't have and really isn't stiffer/different. Just a bit easier to get wheel in/out. With type2 derailer holding the chain that's not an issue really...
Tapered tube - yeah, much stiffer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess the 135x10 (using a QR) just isn't that stiff. Lately I can really feel the rear of the bike flexing as I descend technical sections.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
The HD is a huge upgrade over the Mojo you have now so it would not be a bad upgrade to buy used. If you are buying new that is a different question.

·
meh
1,213 Posts
I have been in the exact same boat, have upgraded my Mojo C over the years and its to a point now where I just maintain it, though an HD would be better no doubt. Almost pulled the trigger on a used HD not long ago that was a pretty great deal. I decided I am going to wait at least until the end of the year for these reasons:
If something new comes out from Ibis, I at least want to know what it is before spending money on an HD/HDR and then feeling buyers remorse.
When it does come out, if it isn't compelling enough to spend the extra coin, the deals on HD's (HDR's) will be better than what can be found right now.
I'm still happy enough with my Mojo that I can get away with waiting a little longer (its been going 6 years now, whats another 6-12 months), as long as I can keep my new bike impulses in check.

·
Registered
337 Posts
On second thought, if you got a good deal on a used one you could ride it and sell it later without losing too much money since it already took most of the deprecation hit being out of production and replaced by a newer model.
I would give Kara a call at bikeco.com and see if they have a leftover demo.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Don't delay JOY

I can only add that as someone who went Mojo SL to HD and now HDR, it's been nothing but good things the whole way, but the jump from SL to HD really did change my riding. You think you love your SL... well you're going to love the HD/HDR way more. :D

You can get some great deals, both new (HD/HDR Special Blend) and used (40-50% off retail) on HDs.

I'm not sure I'd wait. I jumped on an HDR and love it. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts