Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Stucco Bucket
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its been asked a lot here, but Im at a dilemna for the fork choice on my Mojo build.
I want to use it as a trail/XC bike and I am building it on the light side.
I planned on going with the Fox Talas 32. Whats the latest fork rage in the 140 travel?
DT Swiss? anything from Marzocchi? I dont think a Carbon lefty is in my range.

thanks
A

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just put a new fork on my MOJO. I went with a FOX FLOAT 32RLC w/ 15QR. In my opinion, you cannot get a better fork then FOX. It is what everyone compares to. The TALAS is nice, but the feature is not needed on the MOJO. It adds weight and cost. Go with the FLOAT. The 15QR makes a big difference in overall front control and tracking.

·
Registered
478 Posts
pono39 said:
I just put a new fork on my MOJO. I went with a FOX FLOAT 32RLC w/ 15QR. In my opinion, you cannot get a better fork then FOX. It is what everyone compares to. The TALAS is nice, but the feature is not needed on the MOJO. It adds weight and cost. Go with the FLOAT. The 15QR makes a big difference in overall front control and tracking.
I went for the 150 float with 15qr and I love it!!

·
Stucco Bucket
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I ended up going with the fox float 32 RLC 15qr (the new fit one) and a Rp23 that im sending of to Push.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Revalation

simply awesome. My next purchase for my Mojo ( currently run a Lyrik) and was very impressed that despite the lower weight stiffness wasn't compromised that much and the damping of the RS bouncers out performs DT and Fox in my opinion regardless of price

·
Registered
215 Posts
Having run the Fox and the Revelation on a mojo, I say get the Revelation. The way I see it, get the lefty with a carbon steer adapter if you can afford it, and if not get the Revelation if price is an issue.

·
YRTRNRSHVY
556 Posts
I just don't understand everyone talking about stiffness/tracking etc with the 15QR or any thru axle. There is so much give in the tire carcass (especially at low pressure) and the flex in the wheel. How can reducing flex in the axle do anything for you at all since its contribution to total flex is probably very minimal compared to everything else. To me it would be like peeing in the ocean.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Going from my previous fork (marz exr qr) to the fox with a 15qr makes a huge difference. How much is down to the 15qr v the regular qr it's hard to say but it's accurate to say that the fork is noticeably more stiff. IMHO that made more of a difference than the frame going from an 05 enduro to the mojo.....

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
lemmy999 said:
I just don't understand everyone talking about stiffness/tracking etc with the 15QR or any thru axle. There is so much give in the tire carcass (especially at low pressure) and the flex in the wheel. How can reducing flex in the axle do anything for you at all since its contribution to total flex is probably very minimal compared to everything else. To me it would be like peeing in the ocean.
The easiest way I can convey the difference, is this: think of a pair of squishy running shoes (tires), try a pair that is 2 sizes too large and wear 3 pairs of socks (QR front end fork and/or flexy legs), now try a pair that is your size or maybe 1/2 size too small and wear thin socks (20/15 mm thru axle and/or stiff legs), run through a boulder field and jump back and forth off rocks (sort of like bounding), tell me which pair gives you better traction, tracks better and can turn on a dime?

On normal terrain either shoes would really be fine, but push it to its limits and...

Sort of silly?

Until you have ridden forks back to back, and get the feel of how they each react, it is a bit of a faith to understand the nature of the beast! The first time you take a stout 15/20mm fork with an All Mountain wheelset through a rock garden, you will know! I always ride tires at 25psi and it is easy to feel the difference.

·
YRTRNRSHVY
556 Posts
pastajet said:
The easiest way I can convey the difference, is this: think of a pair of squishy running shoes (tires), try a pair that is 2 sizes too large and wear 3 pairs of socks (QR front end fork and/or flexy legs), now try a pair that is your size or maybe 1/2 size too small and wear thin socks (20/15 mm thru axle and/or stiff legs), run through a boulder field and jump back and forth off rocks (sort of like bounding), tell me which pair gives you better traction, tracks better and can turn on a dime?

On normal terrain either shoes would really be fine, but push it to its limits and...

Sort of silly?

Until you have ridden forks back to back, and get the feel of how they each react, it is a bit of a faith to understand the nature of the beast! The first time you take a stout 15/20mm fork with an All Mountain wheelset through a rock garden, you will know! I always ride tires at 25psi and it is easy to feel the difference.
I see your point, I just feel that there is so much flex elsewhere, that if you remove the part that is flexing the least, I don't see how you will feel it. Sort of like lateral stiffness of the rear. I rode a ventana for years which are laterally very stiff. People like to take bikes like a Mojo and grab the rear wheel and move it back and forth to show how flexy it is. But doing that on a Mojo or my Ventana will show that 95% of the flex is in the wheel or tire and not the frame. If you are going around a turn and the tire deflects a huge amount and the frame deflects a small amount, I don't see how having a stiffer frame will help at all. Using your analogy it is like having shoes 3 sizes too big with 3 pairs of thick socks. If you go back and forth between great/stiff shoes or bad/flexy shoes, you likely won't be able to tell the difference. I admit I could be wrong, but from a technical point of view, it just doesn't make sense to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts