Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Other than a Knard that is.

Ibis says that tires that have a fairly rounded tread shape work best with these rims. I just set up a Magic Mary 2.35x29 tubeless on a W35 MX wheel, 28.4mm internal, and it looks like a good candidate to try on an Ibis Mondo rim. The Hans Dampf of the same size looks good too, still pretty rounded, on another W35 wheel also.

I have some 2 ply 2.5 DHF Minions on a set of the Derby carbon rims and I'm not so sure that they would benefit from a much wider rim. I have a set of the 2.5 Exo DHF's on Gordo rims, tubed, and they stretch a bunch more than the dual ply version so they may like an even wider rim.

The MX35, Derby and Gordo rims are so close to the same internal width that it does not really matter.

How round are the 2.4 Conti Trail Kings? Any other burly 29er meats that might like a 35mm internal rim worth considering?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Off the topic

Ibis says that tires that have a fairly rounded tread shape work best with these rims. I just set up a Magic Mary 2.35x29 tubeless on a W35 MX wheel, 28.4mm internal, and it looks like a good candidate to try on an Ibis Mondo rim. The Hans Dampf of the same size looks good too, still pretty rounded, on another W35 wheel also.

I have some 2 ply 2.5 DHF Minions on a set of the Derby carbon rims and I'm not so sure that they would benefit from a much wider rim. I have a set of the 2.5 Exo DHF's on Gordo rims, tubed, and they stretch a bunch more than the dual ply version so they may like and even wider rim.

The MX35, Derby and Gordo rims are so close to the same internal width that it does not really matter.

How round are the 2.4 Conti Trail Kings? Any other burly 29er meats that might like a 35mm internal rim worth considering?

Hi,
I have looking for 29'r Magic Mary for awhile, but I could not find any online or my LBS. Where did you able to purchase the 29'r Magic Mary?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
367 Posts

I have some 2 ply 2.5 DHF Minions on a set of the Derby carbon rims and I'm not so sure that they would benefit from a much wider rim. I have a set of the 2.5 Exo DHF's on Gordo rims, tubed, and they stretch a bunch more than the dual ply version so they may like and even wider rim.

I want to run 941's with single ply Minions on my Enduro Comp 29...if you mount the Minions on 941's, can you measure their width and give a ride report?

I'm not sure when I will be able to order the 941's...

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to run 941's with single ply Minions on my Enduro Comp 29...if you mount the Minions on 941's, can you measure their width and give a ride report?

I'm not sure when I will be able to order the 941's...
I don't have any 941's at the moment, not sure that they are available yet. But sure, if I end up getting some, I'll do that.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi,
I have looking for 29'r Magic Mary for awhile, but I could not find any online or my LBS. Where did you able to purchase the 29'r Magic Mary?
Thanks for your help.
I got the last two 29er snakeskin MM's in stock from Chain Reaction Cycling in the UK. CR's listing states that more should be available in about a month.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I don't have any 941's at the moment, not sure that they are available yet. But sure, if I end up getting some, I'll do that.

Will you post up a link with the Ibis rims? I thought I read that those rims were 35mm outer width, or essentially similar to the Derby rims.

Edit: Nevermind, I used the Google machine: Ibis' New Ultra Wide Carbon Rim Wheelsets - Pinkbike

Must have been confusing Ibis with some other rim.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

I called Ibis: These wheelsets won't be available until June-July as the first number of sets will be reserved for bike build kits.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Update:

I called Ibis: These wheelsets won't be available until June-July as the first number of sets will be reserved for bike build kits.
When I sent an email they responded that they have had a lot of inquiries with a waiting list link that uses google forms...you fill out your info and select which model you want, shimano/SRAM driver...form says they will contact you at their convenience.

I also asked about 20 mm front caps and they said only 15 mm and qr...but that they will eventually sell the rims separately so you can lace them to your favorite hubs.

They also mentioned no weight limit.

The Ibis website mentions Derby rims...I assume Derby will be selling a similar rim in the near future.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Good news about the Ibis wide rims being sold eventually. Not totally thrilled with the hubs that Ibis will be building the wheelsets with. The rear hubs use a conventional pawl set up. That design is not as robust as the DT or Syntace ratchets systems.

I think that waiting and building up a set of wheels with Syntace or DT rear hubs is the way to go for me.

I think that Derby will be forced to come out with wider rims, or loose sales, as more wide rims become available. For example, see link below, Nox Composites is about to release their 35mm external 29mm internal carbon hookless bead rims. Not as deep a section as the Derby rims but featuring an offset spoke bed.

AM-29 Carbon Fiber Mountain Wheels | Nox Composites Carbon MTB Rims and Wheels

·
Registered
281 Posts
Can you post the nox link please?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
Good news about the Ibis wide rims being sold eventually. Not totally thrilled with the hubs that Ibis will be building the wheelsets with. The rear hubs use a conventional pawl set up. That design is not as robust as the DT or Syntace ratchets systems.

I think that waiting and building up a set of wheels with Syntace or DT rear hubs is the way to go for me.

I think that Derby will be forced to come out with wider rims, or loose sales, as more wide rims become available. For example, see link below, Nox Composites is about to release their 35mm external 29mm internal carbon hookless bead rims. Not as deep a section as the Derby rims but featuring an offset spoke bed.
On a page on the Ibis site, it says if you want just a rim, they recommend Derby rims.

I don't think Derby has officially announced his 41 mm version yet...supposedly Ibis shared the cost of the original tooling expense with Derby...they will be manufacturing separately.

I will most likely get the 941...I would prefer to have a front hub with 20 mm end caps...but it seems like a good price...if they are available in June, I know what I will be buying myself for my birthday present.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On a page on the Ibis site, it says if you want just a rim, they recommend Derby rims.
I like the Derby rims that I have just fine. I just have way more 35mm external width 29er rims/wheels than I can use.

I'm mainly lusting for one or two of the 941's built a fronts as I like a slightly wider rim in the front.

If it were possible to safely, by MY standards, run the Gordo or MTX rims that I have tubeless I would be probably still be riding with a MTX33, 26mm internal, in the rear and Gordo, 29mm internal, up front. So I'm guessing that I would like a 941 front and Derby setup even better.

·
Registered
339 Posts
This thread started out promising but got off track.
So far I hear:
Magic marry
Hans dampf
Minion's
Any others? I really like the specialized tires but think they would be too square

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jensonusa is finally showing the ibis 941 Wheelset being available in a few days. Thinking about selling off my haven carbons and giving these a whirl.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts