Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone look at their rear 742 wheel, then look at the first spoke to the left of the valve stem and tell me which side of the hub that spoke goes to? The drive side or the non-drive side? Secondly, is the elbow of the spoke on the inside of the hub flange or the outside? Thanks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
As I am looking at my wheel from the the drive side, the first spoke to the left of the valve stem goes to the non-drive side and the elbow goes to the outside of the flange. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
First up, which rims are these, the older symmetrical or the newer asymmetrical? If they're the newer asym rim, then it's going to depend on which wheel you're talking about, front or rear, as the rim will be flipped front to rear so the asym is where it needs to be.

I have a set of the new asym rims and although at first glance the holes may look to be drilled centered, they in fact are not and are slightly off to the side the spoke should go in from, so for the rear, that would mean that the first hole to the left of the valve hole, looking at it from the drive side, goes to the drive side. On the front, it means that spoke goes to the non drive side.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
742's are the asymmetrical ones. For asymmetrical wheels like the 742 and 942, the front hubs have the wide side of the rim on the same side as the brake rotor and rear hubs have the wide side on the same side as the cassette.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think the OP also needs to specify the position of the stem, as the spoke “to the left” of the valve will be different if the valve is at 6:00 or 12:00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good point. I was looking at the wheel with the valve stem in the 6:00 position. If at 12:00, the information I provided is the opposite (i.e., spoke goes to the drive side with the elbow going to the inside of the hub flange).

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry! Please rotate the wheel so that the valve stem is at the top of the wheel (12 o'clock). My 742 *rear* wheel has spoke holes that are offset 5mm from the center of the rim. On the rear wheel, the rim should be orientated so that the offset is away from the cassette.

If at 12:00, the information I provided is the opposite (i.e., spoke goes to the drive side with the elbow going to the inside of the hub flange).
Thanks fisherk!

·
Registered
221 Posts
My rear 742 has the wide side of the rim on the same side as the cassette and with the valve stem at 12:00, the spoke to the left of the valve goes to the drive side with the elbow going to inside of the hub flange.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sorry, always talk as if dealing with actually building a wheel and doing that you start with the valve hole away from you at 12 O'clock.

Good point. I was looking at the wheel with the valve stem in the 6:00 position. If at 12:00, the information I provided is the opposite (i.e., spoke goes to the drive side with the elbow going to the inside of the hub flange).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.