Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode a HDR today and I liked it a lot. I will be ordering one very soon with the X01 build. Does anyone have any input on the Ibis 741 wheels vs the Stan's ZTR that are part of the standard build. I know the Ibis wheels are brand new but this is my first new bike in a while and I don't know much about either wheel set besides whats on the Ibis website. Thanks for your help.

Jim

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
"Do It"

I'm a wide rim believer now. If the Ibis wheels were available when I ordered my HDR, I'd have done it in a heartbeat. A few weeks before they were announced I updated my stock Ibis wheels (Stans ZTR Arch EX for a set of Light Bicycle/King wheels with the LB 27.5 hookless 35mm rims.)

Wow, they DO make a difference. I've got a NNic 2.35 up front and it definitely feels like it somehow adds volume. Honestly though, like so many things with modern MTBs there's a LOT of variables that are different with any of these rims/wheels when you change over:

• Weight - Probably less then your current setup
  • Stiffness - Definitely more then your current
  • Width
  • Tubeless (were you already Y/N ?)
  • Tire choice (same tire Y/N?)

...but overall I think the Ibis deal on those wheels is totally worth doing if you're ordering a new bike.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The only reasons not to buy the wide Ibis carbon rims:
1) I can't afford it
2) I'm going to use a different wide carbon rim for (insert reason here ie. hub preference, hookup price...whatever)
I have the Derby rims, which are blood relatives of the Ibis rim, and I don't like to throw a lot of hyperbole around, but they are game changers.
Once you wrap your brain around the ridiculously low pressures you don't think you should be able to run, but you can, they will improve your ride like your very first suspension fork, 1st time tubeless, 1st time on clipless pedals, etc.
Enhanced steering precision thanks to the stiffness, sooooft grippy magic carpet tire feel that somehow never feels rolly or flexy, improved traction, lighter weight..... WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for your input. I think I am going to go with the Ibis 741 rims.

Jim

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was in the same dilemma, but after doing some research I found out that getting the wheels with the new bike is the best deal.

You are paying just 900 USD, before this, my plan was to get some carbon whels from LB China, which cost 730 USD delivered to Mexico

170 extra dollars will get you an Ibis branded wheels with Ibis warranty

Just hurry up, I decided a couple weeks ago and I need to wait until the end of June to get mine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts