Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, this is by no means meant to be a flameboard post so if that is your intent then please don't even bother posting. I am looking for serious, no nonsense answers here cause this is a big choice for me.

I am getting back into MTBiking after quite a few years and am hoping to get some help in the choice of a bike. I am posting it here cause I am hoping to get a response from Jack at IBEX and from a few others that I know are avid IBEX or Motobecane riders.

I am on a very limited budget at the moment so I know that the bikes I throw at you guys for discussion may be ripped apart, but that's ok. I am looking at the IBEX Alpine 450 and the Motobecane 600DS. I understand they are very different bikes in terms of frames, but I am looking for some input on them.

Just some background...I'm a clydesdale...definately. 5'11" @ 313lbs isn't nice to a bike so that's why I am really interested in some feedback. I haven't been on a MTB for over 10yrs and I am getting back into it.

Just a note: I am not looking to necessarily hit any nasty trails or anything of the sort, but I would like to ride some beginner/intermediate trails that are close to home.

I noticed that alot of the parts are very similar on the two bikes and was mainly wondering if the IBEX or the Moto would stand up to the punishment of a Clydesdale like myself, and if so for both then what would be better recommended for a heavier person like myself...the FS moto or the HT ibex.

Thanks for hearing me out and remember...please don't turn this into a flame post against either company. Stick to cold hard facts ( with some personal experience / opinions tossed in the mix ).

Thanks again -Bill

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
For starters you shouldn't compair a FS to HT with a low price point like you are looking at. A FS at that price is going to get you extreamly low end components. Being a clyd you should be looking for air or air assisted fork. Within your price range & picks i wouldnt recomend either one. I would highly suggest you look at the Alpine 550 instead as your do all bike. :thumbsup:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-550-Details.html

If you want to go FS i would recomend you bump the duckets up. :)

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-COMP-X7-Details.html

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Bhelv82 said:
Hey all, this is by no means meant to be a flameboard post so if that is your intent then please don't even bother posting. I am looking for serious, no nonsense answers here cause this is a big choice for me.

I am getting back into MTBiking after quite a few years and am hoping to get some help in the choice of a bike. I am posting it here cause I am hoping to get a response from Jack at IBEX and from a few others that I know are avid IBEX or Motobecane riders.

I am on a very limited budget at the moment so I know that the bikes I throw at you guys for discussion may be ripped apart, but that's ok. I am looking at the IBEX Alpine 450 and the Motobecane 600DS. I understand they are very different bikes in terms of frames, but I am looking for some input on them.

Just some background...I'm a clydesdale...definately. 5'11" @ 313lbs isn't nice to a bike so that's why I am really interested in some feedback. I haven't been on a MTB for over 10yrs and I am getting back into it.

Just a note: I am not looking to necessarily hit any nasty trails or anything of the sort, but I would like to ride some beginner/intermediate trails that are close to home.

I noticed that alot of the parts are very similar on the two bikes and was mainly wondering if the IBEX or the Moto would stand up to the punishment of a Clydesdale like myself, and if so for both then what would be better recommended for a heavier person like myself...the FS moto or the HT ibex.

Thanks for hearing me out and remember...please don't turn this into a flame post against either company. Stick to cold hard facts ( with some personal experience / opinions tossed in the mix ).

Thanks again -Bill
Wickerman, JakePay and CallMeCLyde are clydes and they seem to be happy with their Ibex bikes...

As for specs... in order to give you full suspension on the motobecane at that price point, you get really really entry level stuff... The Ibex outspecs the Motobecane in almost every component. IMO, I'm not too sure you should be looking at an FS rig at that price point and especially since you're a clyde since you're going to be skimping out on a lot of things just to give you an FS setup.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. After looking at the 600DS and the alpine 450, it seems that they are very similar as far as components go, but there are a few key parts that the 450 has over the 600DS so I can definately give you that one.

One question I did NOT make clear was the whole FS over HT...is FS better than HT for a clyde or is it the opposite? I just had it in my mind that FS would be better for a clyde do to the fact that weight distribution would be better ( saves the tires, rims, hubs etc. ). Is that not the case?

Also, check the parts quick :
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-450-Details.html

and the Moto:
Frame: Oversized Bearing Pivot, Custom Formed TIG Welded 7005 Aluminum Front and Rear Triangle, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, Adjustable Rebound CoilOver Rear suspension
Fork: RST Capa T4 Long Travel Adjustable Suspension
Crankset: TruVativ ISOFLOW 22/32/44T
Bottom Bracket: Sealed Cartridge Unit
Pedals: Dual Steel/Resin Beartrap
Front Derailleur: Shimano M330
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
Shifters: Shimano CIDeck PLUS 8Spd Trigger Shifters
Cassette/Freewheel: Shimano HG 12-30T 8 speed
Chain: KMC 8 Spd Narrow
Hubs: MWing Forged Aluminum Disc Comp. w/Q.R.
Spokes: Stainless Steel
Rims: Alex Adventurer double wall black finish
Tires: WTB Velociraptor FR/RR 26x2.1
Brakes: Tektro Mechanical disc
Brake Levers: Shimano
Headset: Tioga Alchemy 1 1/8" Threadless
Handlebar: MWing 20° rise Aluminum Alloy
Stem: MWing Comp Forged Aluminum Threadless
Tape/Grip: WTB Double Density Black
Saddle: WTB Speed V with LoveChannel
Seat Post: MWing Aluminum alloy MicroAdjust
Seat Clamp: Alloy Q.R.

Also...does anyone know when IBEX restocks thier bikes? The size 450 I need is not available at the moment and I definately don't want that being the decision maker lol.

I saw the HT version ( comparable ) of the 600DS....the 600HT. How would you rate that against the 450? It has the same parts as the FS version, just HT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On another note...if there is another bike you can think of from either company or even a totally different company in the under $400 price range, let me know. I'm open to suggestions. Also...thanks for the help so far. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been wrestling with this decision for about 2 weeks now. I've checked so many different manufacturers and I know if I had'nt taken notes I'd be lost by now. I have decided on the Alpine 450 to start out. I will save up for 6 months to a year and stash away cash for a high end FS and then go with the Asta pro or the Atlas pro ( which is a decision I am not looking forward to making lol ).

The issue I see right now is the availability for my size 19" alpine 450. The only problem now is the wait...can I hold out long enough? haha we'll see. Thanks a TON for all your help mrpercussive and dogonfr. enjoy riding your Ibex's and hopefully I will be able to order mine soon.

-Bill

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Good choice

As a larger rider (I go 250) I would say stick with a hardtail in this price range. It's not really a matter of which one is better for a clydesdale, but more to do with the quality of full suspension bikes in this price range, and the ability of the suspension linkage and components to hold up under our weight. Your plan sounds realistic to me. Buy the hardtail now, and if you take to the sport, save up money for a better rig in a year. As an added bonus, in that year, you'll probably see a decrease in weight and an increase in fitness level as a result of the purchase :thumbsup:

Save as much as you can in that year. Figure $1000 as your target. This puts you well within the reach of an Asta if you go full suspension, and in the saddle of a very nice Trophy if you go hardtail.

Bob

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'd agree with Jake Pay in recommending the Alpine 550 ....

The only moto mountain bikes I'd recommend are the Fly Pro, Fly 9357, and Fly Team ... all of them are $800+, and are extremely light and fast ...however they are XC only with light, but very weak wheel sets ( something a clyde would NOT want)

For everything else, I would recommend IBEX

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
1st post in this thread........Hummmmm........

tjhg said:
I'd agree with Jake Pay in recommending the Alpine 550 ....
300+pounds on an entry level fork is not a recommendation I would make :nono:

Bill,

When your ready in the money department be sure and come and ask-up some questions.
Hell, hang around and learn..You don't have to have a bike to kick-it with the Goats..

Jake :ihih:

PS. I'm getting a reading in the Crystal Ball....Its says Atlas Sport...............:lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, after some consideration and looking at some other bikes I have decided to go with the Iron Horse Maverick Team which is on a sweet sale right now. It looks to be about the same bike as the Alpine 450 ( which is still not able to be ordered...main reason I went with the IH ) just last year's model.

I think that bike will do well for me for the time being and leaves me a bit of cash left over to do some upgrades which is nice. It seems to be a nice entry level bike ( maybe a bit heavy, but that's ok. Prepares me for my Atlas in the future lol ) so I think it's a good deal.

As for my Ibex plans....like I said, when I have the money for the Atlas I will be getting one as soon as possible. IH will do for now, but for the money it seems that Ibex gives the best bike for the cash, so I can't wait to get one.

Thanks again for all your input and I'll be posting pics of my Atlas when I get there. Later!

-Bill

·
Registered
739 Posts
Bhelv82 said:
Well, after some consideration and looking at some other bikes I have decided to go with the Iron Horse Maverick Team which is on a sweet sale right now. It looks to be about the same bike as the Alpine 450 ( which is still not able to be ordered...main reason I went with the IH ) just last year's model.

I think that bike will do well for me for the time being and leaves me a bit of cash left over to do some upgrades which is nice. It seems to be a nice entry level bike ( maybe a bit heavy, but that's ok. Prepares me for my Atlas in the future lol ) so I think it's a good deal.

As for my Ibex plans....like I said, when I have the money for the Atlas I will be getting one as soon as possible. IH will do for now, but for the money it seems that Ibex gives the best bike for the cash, so I can't wait to get one.

Thanks again for all your input and I'll be posting pics of my Atlas when I get there. Later!

-Bill
have fun on your new bike .... either way riding is FUN

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Bhelv82 said:

-Bill
I really hope you got the hardtail ...right ? the maverik full suspension frames crack super easily.

but if you did get the hardtail version, you got a pretty nice bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I got the Candy Red Maverick Team hardtail....the FS looked shady and after listening to everyone's suggestions that a FS setup at a low price may equal low quality, I decided that HT is the way to go for now :)

And for an update...I got my bike already ( took 3 days lol ) and it looks so amazing. The paint is awesome ( crazy part...i couldnt find any pictures of that paint scheme on the net anywhere. Just that crazy monster green color ). The parts were all in perfect shape except the left trigger shifter ( for the front deraileur ) and I contacted Randall Scott and they sent me a same day email stating that the part was in the mail ( I love fast answers lol ).

I took it for a ride anyway ( just left it on the middle gear for the front and used the rear D for speed/climb control ) and I have to say the bike is friggin awesome. The frame is super rugged and the rear D shifts super fast and smooth. The J1 forks leave a bit to be desired, but still offer a nice fluid ride over not too gnarly branches/roots that I couldn't see due to the 8 inches of snow I tried riding through LOL. One thing...I need a new seat. Lemme rephrase that...I need a new clyde seat. It is so small that I don't wanna lose that thing up my ace, and for those that don't understand....fat asses and small seats DON'T mix at all hahaha. The bike does have the old Moto Raptor tires from WTB which were awesome in the snow ( I didn't wipe out once ) and the disc brakes....all I can say is wow. I am an old schooler and those were the first disc brakes that I have tried. They almost made me wipe out with an ill-timed brake while going around the base of a tree ( remember, snow ) I locked the rear tire up with the brakes and almost lost it, but thanks to the platform pedals I just threw the foot down and kept going.

All in all I have to say that the bike is sweet, but I am looking forward to losing some weight, gaining some cash, and getting a badass FS rig to really tear it up a bit more. Thanks for listening and talk to ya soon. Later! -Bill

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Nice choice!

Bhelv82 said:
Yeah, I got the Candy Red Maverick Team hardtail....the FS looked shady and after listening to everyone's suggestions that a FS setup at a low price may equal low quality, I decided that HT is the way to go for now :)
At $329, you could not do better. Glad to hear you're liking the bike. Please post some pics of that paint job. I'm real interested in what it looks like.

Bob

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.