Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am interested in getting into mountain biking and I have been doing a lot of research over the past week. Most of my reading was on this board. I was ready to purchase an Ibex Alpine 450, but I waited too long and now they are sold out until at least summer. So, I decided to up my budget $100 more and now I am looking at the Alpine 550 and Randall Scott has a 2006 Iron Horse Warrior Expert XC Race for the same price ($499). There are a couple of other bikes for the same price like the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc and the Trek 4300 Disc, but they seemed to have lower grade components for the same price. I am 6'1" 240 and I plan on doing mostly trail and some pavement. Which bike do you all think I should go with. I appreciate all the info you can give me

Thanks
LardyG

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Get the Iron Horse

The bike has a better overall component spec. Of note is the fact that the fork on the IH has larger stanchions. The fork on the Ibex will probably flex at your weight. The only glaring bad part on the Warrior Race is the Sole brakes. Thet do not have the best reputation.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Bob,

On rscycle.com the specs say that the brakes are Avid BB-5 cable disc and the levers are Avid FR-5s. I am looking at the Expert. The Sole brakes come on the Race. Are the Avids worse than the Sole brakes?

Thanks for the info
LardyG

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
My bad

LardyG said:
Bob,

On rscycle.com the specs say that the brakes are Avid BB-5 cable disc and the levers are Avid FR-5s. I am looking at the Expert. The Sole brakes come on the Race. Are the Avids worse than the Sole brakes?

Thanks for the info
LardyG
I was looking ath the Warrior Race, not the Warrior Expert . Again, a nice bike, but the weak spot on that bike will be the fork. The Warrior Race comes with the Rock Shox Tora. I like that fork becaise it's got beefier stanchions. The Warrior Expert comes with the Marzocchi MZ-1 fork. At 240 lbs, you'll find the limitations on the MZ comp at some point.

Overall, both bikes are good choices, but from my personal perspective, both have a weak spot that will eventually have to be dealt with. To answer your original brake question, the Avid mechanical brakes are the best mechanical brakes out there, and while I've never used the Sole's, I'd say the Avids will be a better choice based on what I've seen in these forums.

Bob

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.