Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Who is the Drizzle?
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen Ibex and Motobecane bikes a couple times but I've never heard anything very great about them. They are pretty cheap, which is one thing I like, but are they crappy bikes? :confused:

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I can speak for Ibex

I own two of their bikes. I own an Atlas Expert and a B-24 RSR. The Atlas is a great single-pivot All Mountain rig, and the B-24 is a hybrid/street bike. Both are great bikes with quality frames, good, balanced specs and represent excellent values. I can't speak for Motobecane, but I've seen plenty of people in these forums who have bought them and are satisfied.

Beware, there will probably be a deluge of opposing opinions on these bikes. There will be the Ibex and Motobecane owners who will tell you how great the bikes are, and the others on the outside looking in who don't own either bike, but seem to have some sort of chip on their shoulders about the two vendors. Use your best judgement in reading between the lines on BOTH sides of the debate.

Bob

·
Registered
111 Posts
motobecane

i love my motobecane phantom comp ds..... i dont feel like its crap at all... its welds look just like those of specialized, trek and other leading brands. in fact i read somewhere (and i am not positive on the source but thought i would share any way) that motobecane frames are manufactured by the same company as those of specilzed, trek, etc...KINESIS bike works i think is the name. I have been riding my moto for about 5 months now and haven't had any problems. and i usually take it on some pretty moderate trails... some a little rougher than others. Arizona riding. Im not sure about Ibex though. it seems that they are pretty nice bikes as well.... i have read a lot of good reviews about people and their ibex. Somewhere on this forum i have pics of my motobecane phantom compds if your interested.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I also own an Ibex Atlas and love it. At first I was leary of ordering a bike online. But the compoenets were all top notch. My back up plan was that if i didn't like the bike I would buy a Kona frame I found online and use the Atlas parts as a build kit. Even that way i would have still been way ahead of the game. As it turns out I loved the Atlas and didn't have to resort to my back up plan.

FWIW I will always recomend Ibex to my friends looking for bikes becuase of the value. But they are not the only thing I will recomend. Just this past week a friend new to MTB was looking to get a new FS bike. I recomended he look at the Ibex Asta as it was with in his budget and a sweet ride. He was seriously considering getting one. Then Last week on his way home from work he stopped into a LBS and found a sweet deal on a left over Cannondale Rush. He asked my opinion and I told him he should jump all over the Rush. It was the same price as the Asta but the components were slightly better and he knew it fit like a glove. He picked the bike up yesterday. We are riding this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
FreeRideHaro said:
I like to ride technical/ aggressive trails along with doing some moderate jumps. Which Ibex and Motobecane bikes are good choices?
With Ibex I would say the Atlas would fot the bill. But Ibex only has Atlas frames, no complete bikes till 2009.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have an Ibex Atlas and it is a nice bike. Only issue is they NEVER HAVE ANY BIKES! Seems like they are always sold out of what I want. They do make nice bikes for the price but if you see one you want you better jump on it because they go fast and they never order enough of them! It might not hurt to cruze your LBS's to see if they have anything they are blowing out like last years demo's or older models. I have heard of a lot of people getting some pretty great deals like that.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Here's a good summation from a recent, similar thread:

The1 said:
Do some of these brands offer a better parts kit for a similar price point than a bike shop, nationally recognized brand? Sure! But be aware of what you give up in order to pay for those parts upgrades.

If you feel OK spending that kind of cash for a private label, sight unseen bike, go for it. If you want additional benefits by dealing locally, having aftermarket support, and a brand name you could pre-test ride, check out your LBS.
Ant

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
elsinore said:
Just wondering what was not objective about Bob's statement?
The insinuation that the disapproval of past Ibex tactics on this forum was unsubstantiated and merely a "chip on shoulder" by MTBR members (whose opinions on Ibex tactics apparently matter less because they do not own Ibex bikes and are "outside looking in").

Objective, IMO, would have read something like:

"Beware, as this question may cause a debate between vocal Ibex owners who love their bikes and other MTBR members who have been skeptical of their autonomy from Ibex".

See, no need to take a side. Or better yet, CMC could have skipped the "beware" altogether.

Just my opinion.

Ant

·
Just ride
1,048 Posts
another Thumbsup for the Ibex!!

great bikes, great service, and a great community

·
uhhhhhyea
335 Posts
I was looking at frames from both, looking to go FS on a budget when I happened across a cheap Atlas frame on ebay, the thing has been awesome and I do the type of riding you mention. Actually, since I've built up the Atlas I've been going bigger and bigger with drops and jumps, it's very forgiving and definitely very conducive to progression for those kind of things. I literally fly over stuff I used to tiptoe through on my hardtail. Every season I've gone up to a newer, better frame, but I think I've found a keeper.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
I've got 2 Ibexs... My first Ibex is a Zone. Awesome bike. Handles extremely nimble for a big bike and it is currently my race bike right now. I've beat on this bike as an FR bike for the longest time and now have just recently come to realise it is very race worthy as well. Just awesome. My second bike is an Ignition. Very fun AM worthy bike which i basicly freeride also. Extremely flickable allowing you to throw it around and yet handles the rough surprisingly well for a 120mm bike. lols... Both frames down right shred. My experience with Ibex has been nothing short of amazing. They make awesome frames, they're extremely well specced and the guys running the company are just really cool dudes.

Ime and everyone i know's experience with Ibex, i think they would agree that the guys at Ibex will always make sure you're taken cared of...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.