Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Val Garou said:
Is this good news or the start of the death-watch?

pitviper33 said:
This seems really weird to me. What kind of business EVER let's itself run completely out of product? You guys that have been around longer: Do they do this every year? Or is this a sign of something (probably something bad) happening at Ibex?
This is a first.

Now do you understand my questions below?
If the 2010's are to continue with this design!!!

If IBEX is "not" going to fix this problem for the 2010 line-up:
a) Will there be a 2010 Ignition?
b) Will there be an IBEX in 2010?​
I know Jack reads the IBEX board here on MTBR.

If he wants me to stop this line of questioning he can email or call me.
He has my contact information.​

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's kind of depressing, as I've enjoyed my Ignition for the last two years.

I started to smell trouble, though, when the road bikes, essentially, got dropped and that 650b never materialized.

If Jack wants the questions to end, he could put up some photos of the 2010 line. Otherwise, I don't see what say he has in our discussing things.

·
Registered
263 Posts
To put it in perspective (I was not "fooled" by Ibex though), Ibex offeres good value to the vast majority of owners. It allowed me to get on a great handling and well equipped full suspension bike for under $1500 bucks. I did crack the frame on the third year. I did get a replacement main triangle (shiny new!). Turns out my BB, pivots, and cables needed some attention as well which made the work worthwhile. I did pick up a longer seat post to help prevent another crack. I figure by that time, my forks and shock will be obsolete and at that point - it's a new bike. Now that I've some time with my FS bike I may look into a more "boutique" frame. At least now I know what I'm looking for.

Still a happy camper. Hope they stay around to provide an alternative product.

--
Bill

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
wmalan said:
Still a happy camper.
I hear ya.........
My 05' ALP / 07' Trophy and ATLAS (frames) are keepers..

My 08' ASTA went to Linga so he could build a sweet racer at an excellent price.
Gotta help them College students

My 08' Ignition is/was my only disappointment

~Jake........................

PS. Still hoping I get contacted and get some "facts" I can share with ya all :D

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
By this time of year, IBEX usually has some kind of news on when the presale luanch will start on the 2010 line etc... this year not a peep... I think the ship has sunk... explains Will's leaving the company.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wickerman1 said:
By this time of year, IBEX usually has some kind of news on when the presale luanch will start on the 2010 line etc... this year not a peep... I think the ship has sunk... explains Will's leaving the company.
IBEX said:
May, 2009 - Here's an inside look at our bicycle R&D department. All 2009 IBEX models are in now and we're anticipating rolling out the 2010's beginning in late-November. We welcome your input on these developing ideas as well as other suggestions or improvements to existing models.
As I've stated before, "Will" graduated from College (last spring) and went on to pursue his carrier.

Let's stick to facts :madman:​

·
Registered
411 Posts
MiniTrail said:
I am not hoping they are on the way out. I just think they are in a situation that will be very tough to come back from. The Asta shouldn't be an issue and I can understand Asta owners getting defensive on this. The Ignition has never been a bike that I would flat out say "buy one" and my recent experiences have changed that so now I know I would have to side against it. Who could blame me?

All anyone has to do that would even consider buying a new Atlas is to look at how the Ignition was handled. If you want to be IBEX R&D go ahead but don't be surprised to find yourself living with issues that you shouldn't have to.

Add to that Jack's poor treatment of many customers (not just myself) and all around poor service in general and I have to ask why would anyone choose to do business with IBEX.

Past performance means nothing. The once shining example that was IBEX service is gone!
Customer service was the biggest downfall I think. I remember back when, if a customer had a problem, it was taken care of immediately and the customer would be on the IBEX board singing deserved praise. Now, every time I read the IBEX forum, it is threads like this. I wonder, what is Jack thinking? Why did he let it get to this, where even the IBEX faithful are questioning it? Look at how many bikes some of you have bought. He should go out on limbs to make sure that you are completely satisfied, not try to blame your build for the problems that are on some of these bikes.

·
Registered
534 Posts
taterbug said:
I wonder, what is Jack thinking? Why did he let it get to this, where even the IBEX faithful are questioning it?
MTBR was the best thing for Ibex and also it's downfall...this site was integral to Jack's success, and I'm not just talking about banner ads. His participation in the forums was certainly part of his business strategy and was a great way for a small company to make contact directly with consumers. It all came crashing down in rather spectacular fashion...

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
GregC said:
MTBR was the best thing for Ibex and also it's downfall...this site was integral to Jack's success, and I'm not just talking about banner ads. His participation in the forums was certainly part of his business strategy and was a great way for a small company to make contact directly with consumers. It all came crashing down in rather spectacular fashion...
Good words but we dont know if it's spectacular yet it could be the calming of a storm??? :thumbsup:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Pedrocyclo said:
Yes, I went to college but I understood the expression "calm before the storm" when I was in elementary school.

Now you do as well so the world is just a teensy tiny bit less dumb. Maybe.
Knap stills dumminz can yo educat me caus the world be crmblin :cool:

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
Pedrocyclo said:
Sorry, you've proven over the years to be incredibly resistant to being educated.
So you've obviously been around for a while, but either you:

a) don't have the nads to post here under your proper name, or

b) have been banned for been a total douchebag and are back under a new name.

Either way, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
203 Posts
wmalan said:
To put it in perspective (I was not "fooled" by Ibex though), Ibex offeres good value to the vast majority of owners. It allowed me to get on a great handling and well equipped full suspension bike for under $1500 bucks. I did crack the frame on the third year. I did get a replacement main triangle (shiny new!). Turns out my BB, pivots, and cables needed some attention as well which made the work worthwhile. I did pick up a longer seat post to help prevent another crack. I figure by that time, my forks and shock will be obsolete and at that point - it's a new bike. Now that I've some time with my FS bike I may look into a more "boutique" frame. At least now I know what I'm looking for.

Still a happy camper. Hope they stay around to provide an alternative product.

--
Bill
I have to agree with wmalan on this one. As an asta owner who would still be under warrantee, I am still not upset. I got a very competent bike for a super price and when it dies I will take what I can off it and transfer to a shiny new frame and be happy. I think it is at best optimistic and at worst delusional to think that ANY bike will last in full more than 3 years (if you ride it!!). Life, like MTBing, is risky. Put on your big-girl panties and get over it.

For me, if I make it the three years without giving into the 29er Kool-Aid, well, that will be a miracle. Anyone taking bets?

1 - 20 of 312 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.