Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.
I'm in the market for a new bike and I was going to purchase a Prophet 4 or 5, but the value for your dollar of the Ibex bikes really caught my attention. I am not an experienced rider and I'm not looking for an extreme machine. What I really want is a bike that is reliable and can take some more abuse than the typical walmart machine without faltering. I've been eyeing the Ignition series, especially the ignition 3. I don't know much, but they look like they will be able to take some good New Jersey and New York riding without breaking or getting out of alignment. What do you guys think? Remember, I'm not out to purchase a 1000+ dollar bike, I'm a first time serious rider, I'm not in the best of shape yet and I'm getting hit hard by the expense of college.

I'm 5 foot 11 and about 200 pounds. When I said not in the best of shape, I meant not good enough to ride 30+ miles in one sitting. I'm still better than most.

Thanks guys.
 

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
Joined
·
11,813 Posts
a better comparison to the Cannondale Prophets would be the Ibex Atlas... both with 5" of rear travel and both single pivots. I'm not too familiar with the terrain of NewJersey and NY... but you got Diablo Bike Park near there... i'm jealous... :)

What type of riding are you looking to be doing??? If you're main riding is XC and some AM stuff the Ignition will serve you well. If you see yourself going into more serious XC stuff in the future then consider the Asta. If you see yourself going bigger, then look into the Atlas... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mrpercussive said:
a better comparison to the Cannondale Prophets would be the Ibex Atlas... both with 5" of rear travel and both single pivots. I'm not too familiar with the terrain of NewJersey and NY... but you got Diablo Bike Park near there... i'm jealous... :)

What type of riding are you looking to be doing??? If you're main riding is XC and some AM stuff the Ignition will serve you well. If you see yourself going into more serious XC stuff in the future then consider the Asta. If you see yourself going bigger, then look into the Atlas... :)
I see myself doing more AM than anything else. Jersey is a pretty populated area and we don't have too much open space to go XCing.

My question to you, though, is will I even be able to use the full capabilities of the Atlas? The Ignition seems pretty good as it is, and the Atlas is a pretty penny more.
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Nice choice

While I would agree with mrpercussive's comments, given your circumstance as a college student, the I 3 is a good option as a newbie full suspension ring. Given that you can't spend $1000, the choice is a very good one. The only other recommendation I would make is to give very serious consideration to the Trophy Comp X7. It's a hardtail, but it has a far better overall component spec, and is on sale at a ridiculously low price of $700. This is a bike you could own for years and not think once about an upgrade.

Bob
 

·
Cuánto pesa?
Joined
·
7,823 Posts
back at ya :D
Whitebread said:
Hello everyone.
I'm in the market for a new bike and I was going to purchase a Prophet 4 or 5, but the value for your dollar of the Ibex bikes really caught my attention. I am not an experienced rider and I'm not looking for an extreme machine. What I really want is a bike that is reliable and can take some more abuse than the typical walmart machine without faltering. I've been eyeing the Ignition series, especially the ignition 3. I don't know much, but they look like they will be able to take some good New Jersey and New York riding without breaking or getting out of alignment. What do you guys think? Remember, I'm not out to purchase a 1000+ dollar bike, I'm a first time serious rider, I'm not in the best of shape yet and I'm getting hit hard by the expense of college.
I'm 5 foot 11 and about 200 pounds. When I said not in the best of shape, I meant not good enough to ride 30+ miles in one sitting. I'm still better than most.
Thanks guys.
IMO, your looking at the right choice in the (click>) IBEX Ignition-3..Pre-Launch Special: $769 :thumbsup:

I've posted the specs so that others can see the bike in question:

Frame: 6061 Aluminum
Fork: Manitou Slate Super Lockout 100mm w/ TPC Lockout & E2 Air*
Rear Shock: Rock Shox BAR 2.1 Air*
Shifters: Shimano Deore Rapidfire
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX
Crankset: Shimano M442 (44/32/22T)
Cassette: Shimano HG50 (11-34T)
Chain: Shimano HG53
Brakes: Avid BB-5 Mechanical Discs
Levers: Avid FR-5
Rims: WTB SpeedDisc All-Mountain
Hubs: Formula Disc
Tires: WTB VelociRaptor - 26" x 2.10
Headset: Aheadset STS-2K
Cockpit Set: UNO Alloy
Saddle: WTB Speed V Comp
Pedals: Shimano M505 Clipless
* shock pump required


The drive-train is strong and wont let you down in the hills..
The air fork and shock are very tunable for riders weight and terrain..

As for Ibex workmanship in the frame department, I'll gladly vouch for them..I personally own two of the Hardtail frames, (05' Alpine and 07' Trophy Pro) there solid yet responsive and agile..All good STUFF :thumbsup:

Happy shopping and buy IBEX :cornut::D

Jake :ihih:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the recomendations guys. I'll look at both the X7 and the Ignition 3. I do have the money to purchase teh bikes right now, but I'd rather wait until I have all my school funds squared away and until I can afford to purchase both the bike AND all the gear I need (helmet, clothing, camelback, shoes, gloves, etc). So, how much would the Ignition 3 cost normally?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
You can ride the bike with out all the items on your list.:) One thing you should not ride without is the helmet.:nono: I looked up all of what was on your list at Price Point and I think you could get all for $100-$150 maybe even less:thumbsup: Just ride baby, just ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I understand that your going to be doing mostly all mountain riding, but I tend to agree with call me clyde and jake pay on the trophy comp x7. Not just because they helped me either :)

The comps on the Trophy x7 are crazy for what they are asking at $699. It is a hard tail, but unless your doing some serious drops and jumps I dont know that youll find to much a difference between the hard tails and the full suspension. You really may just want to consider the trophy comp X7 for now since your like me and a novice in the sport. If you end up wishing you got a full suspension you can always look at trading components or buying just a frame later. But seriously, you cant beat the price for what your getting on either bike. I did alot of research before making a recent purchase from ibex.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,857 Posts
^^ There are XC full suspension as well, and they don't do many drops and jumps. A full suspension tracks the ground more, giving more traction, is more forgivable than a hardtail if you make "mistakes" while riding.
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
My thoughts exactly

hoof said:
The Atlas looks really nice if you're looking for a poor (smart?) man's Heckler. I'll probably buy one if I have the money for it.
I ride in the Philadelphia area and we have very similar terrain to NNJ. While my recommendation to the OP was for a hardtail becuase of budgetary constraints and overall bang for the buck, I happen to think full suspension is the way to go if you have the money to buy a better rig. With that in mind, I plunked money down on the Atlas Expert because of it's comparisons and relative similarities to the Heckler.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,857 Posts
lakeafire said:
I definitely agree that the FS bikes perform better and offer a better ride over tough terrain. I was also just suggesting the compx7 because of the fiscal advantage.
Yes, according to the OP
What I really want is a bike that is reliable and can take some more abuse than the typical walmart machine without faltering.
The ignition three would be an amazing step, it's still a great bike, its the top of the line ignition, it's like the Alpine 650 except with full suspension.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes the Trophy does seem to have better components than the Ignition 3. If I find that the Trophy's lack of a rear suspension becomes a hinderance, would I be able to fit the components off of the trophy on an atlas frame?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
O, and another question. Ibex has three bikes all within 100 dollars of each other, Why the X7 over the Trophy comp or Trophy comp SS.

If you can't tell, I don't yet know what components are good and what are not.
 

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
Joined
·
11,813 Posts
Whitebread said:
Yes the Trophy does seem to have better components than the Ignition 3. If I find that the Trophy's lack of a rear suspension becomes a hinderance, would I be able to fit the components off of the trophy on an atlas frame?
yes you can except for maybe the front derailer and the seatpost and clamp. Not sure if you'd really like that though cause stuff like wheels are meant for XC use and might be a littlw weak should you feel the urge to do a 5 foot drop.

As for the difference in those 3 bikes... I think the maine difference between the X7 and the Comp would be the brakes. Juicies are better then the BB7 IMO although some may think other wise. Also it would be the Sram drivetrain vs the Shimano drivetrain. Both are good, thats up to personal preference. The X7 an equivelent to an LX. As for the SS, it's a single speed. The whole idea of a single speed is to be light, simple and effective. It's only got 1 gear but it only weighs 24lbs...
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top