Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Neither

Neither is my honest answer...and its not because I'm an anti-internet snob. I'm not, but my issue is that neither of these bikes are sold through a LBS (local bike shops) so if you have any warranty issues, you'll have no recourse other than to mail the bike and/or parts back...then wait for them to warranty it and mail it back to you. And frankly, bike shops that you may go into to get some work done aren't going to cut you any deals because they'll know its a mail order bike. For your $600 (including shipping), there are several choices available from the following manufacturers. Even if you mail order these, you will still be able to find a LBS who carries them if a warranty issue arises.

Schwinn Rocket Iso-Drive
Mongoose Otero (2007 model)
Mongoose Wing Super (2006 model)
Iron Horse Maverick 4.0 (2007 model)
Iron Horse Maverick Pro (2006 model)
Check out www.rscycle.com for deals on these models
Iron Horse Warrior DS Trail
K2 Attack 1.0
K2 Attack 2.0

But if you must go with your original two, Ibex seems like a better equipped bike and they seem to get good reviews.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Good points

mtnbiker72 has some good points about the pros and cons about buying online, but he also has some misconceptions that I think deserve some clarification. First off, yes, your LBS is supposed to give you good support after the sale and by and large they do. It depends on who you buy from, and there are plenty of nightmares to document poor LBS service. As for how warranty issues are handled by online vendors, each one is different. Yes, you might have to send a part back for warranty, but that's no different than what you experience in many cases with your LBS. The LBS doesn't just give you a replacement part in most cases. They take the part off and have to get authorization to replace it under warranty terms in one of two ways. They send the product back to a warranty or service center, or they have the manufacturers rep look at the part the next time they drop by the shop. Once the part is authorized to be replaced, the manufacturer ships the replacement part to the LBS, and they install it. You may have to pay for labor on the removal of the old part and installation of the replacement

As for how the online vendors handle things, I can only speak for what I've seen in the Ibex forum. Often if a part is bad and needs to be replaced under warranty, a new part is sent to the buyer no questions asked. In some instances, the buyer has been reimbursed for having certain services done at their LBS to resolve a warranty repair or a build issue. This doesn't happen in every instance, but I can say for certain that some vendors won't leave you hanging like mtnbiker72 implies.

As for buying a bike direct from a place like rscycle and having warranty done at an LBS who carrys that particular brand of bike (let's use Iron Horse as an example), you still run chances of shops taking the position of not "going to cut you any deals because they'll know its a mail order bike". Look around for the thread on warranty policies where the LBS allegedly charged $50.00 just to take a warranty claim, regarless of whether the bike was purchased or the fact that the shop was an authorized dealer for that product. Each instance seems to be handled differently, so you can not make the sweeping generalizations that were made in the previous post.

You really need to decide for yourself what works better for you as a buyer. For first time buyers, I think there are more pros than cons in buying from a good, reputable LBS. Key factor-"Good, reputable LBS". Once you get more familiar with bikes in general, what you want in a particular bike, and how to work on a bike, buying direct from the manufacturer or from an online vendor makes more sense in my opinion, as the "LBS support" factor lessens.

Hopefully between these last two posts you'll have a better understanding of what risks and rewards you run in buying either online. Yes, they exist, but in my own opinion from my own personal experience, I think they can be blown out of proportion.

Best wishes in finding the right bike.

Bob

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Some Clarification

As a former bicycle mechanic and warranty manager, let me further explain how the two shops that I did warranty for handled product not purchased from us.

If we were a dealer of a certain brand, we are obligated by the manufacturer to handle warranties of their product. It is true that the shop gave preferential treatment to customers who purchased the product from us. In one shop I worked for there was a $20 handling fee for warranties of product not purchased from us. This simply covered the half an hour or so it took to contact the manufacturer, set up a RA#, and package the item. If the manufacturer covered shipping and/or labor, then we did not charge any extra. If they did not, then yes, there would be that charge as well. Also, depending on the product and the manufacturer, we may or may not replace the product from our stock (if the manufacturer had a reputation of acting quickly with sending a new part, it was common for us to install a replacement part from our stock). Of course coming in with a six pack of Fat Tire always helped expedite the process...try doing that over the phone;) It really depends on the shop and the employees. I tried as a warranty manager to earn future business of a customer (they may have purchased the bike from someone else, but they'll need tune-ups and parts as they wear out) so I did my best to treat all customers fairly. Not all shops will do this, as mentioned above, there are nightmare stories out there. But no matter what the situation, a bike shop cannot warranty a brand that only sells direct. That was my point with Motobecane and Ibex...the option of local support doesn't even exist. So I agree with the above post that you really need to weigh the pros and cons of online purchases VS LBS purchases.

Good Luck with whatever purchase you decide on :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Neither is my honest answer...and its not because I'm an anti-internet snob. I'm not, but my issue is that neither of these bikes are sold through a LBS (local bike shops) so if you have any warranty issues, you'll have no recourse other than to mail the bike and/or parts back...then wait for them to warranty it and mail it back to you. And frankly, bike shops that you may go into to get some work done aren't going to cut you any deals because they'll know its a mail order bike. For your $600 (including shipping), there are several choices available from the following manufacturers. Even if you mail order these, you will still be able to find a LBS who carries them if a warranty issue arises.

Schwinn Rocket Iso-Drive
Mongoose Otero (2007 model)
Mongoose Wing Super (2006 model)
Iron Horse Maverick 4.0 (2007 model)
Iron Horse Maverick Pro (2006 model)
Check out www.rscycle.com for deals on these models
Iron Horse Warrior DS Trail
K2 Attack 1.0
K2 Attack 2.0

But if you must go with your original two, Ibex seems like a better equipped bike and they seem to get good reviews.
Right and wrong.
If your biggest concern is that neither bikes have a local dealer, than your wrong.

Bikes Direct, the authorized retailer of Motobecane, actually has some local shops.
For me, there's one here in Phoenix, Arizona where I bought my Motobecane Fantom FS Comp.

I'm not too sure about Ibex, but I do know for a fact that Motobecane has some local retailers.
Their website should have some more info.
www.motobecane.com

My 2 cents:
If you're looking into Motobecane, I would recommend the Fantom FS Comp over the 700DS any day.
Mine came stock with the RS Tora 289 (U-turn) and the RS Ario 2.2 (with lockout).
Bikesdirect.com has also had NO complaints from the Bureau of Better Business.

Best of luck,
-Brian

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Weird comment

"Bikesdirect.com has also had NO complaints from the Bureau of Better Business."

Where did this come from? I don't think anyone mentioned any of the vendors in question being written up by the BBB. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Just thought I'd clarify.

In any event, the OP has a good deal of information to digest. Some excellent perspectives in this thread. Thanks to everyone for sharing them.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
"Bikesdirect.com has also had NO complaints from the Bureau of Better Business."

Where did this come from? I don't think anyone mentioned any of the vendors in question being written up by the BBB. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Just thought I'd clarify.

In any event, the OP has a good deal of information to digest. Some excellent perspectives in this thread. Thanks to everyone for sharing them.

Bob
No no.
I was simply just stating that they are a realiable establishment to purchase from.

I've heard some horror stories about Bike Direct, but so far, I have no complaints. Same goes for the BBB, apparently :)

Sorry about the misunderstanding.
-Brian

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Motobecane? Who the heck rides a Motobecane? I know that the guys over at RBR really like the Motobecane product... Maybe you could ask them... :lol:

I used to ride a Motobecane.... moped... It had pedals...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Thanks Brian

I appreciate the clarification. I thought maybe I was crazy. (Well, I am, but that's beside the point)

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
29Colossus said:
Motobecane? Who the heck rides a Motobecane? I know that the guys over at RBR really like the Motobecane product... Maybe you could ask them... :lol:

I used to ride a Motobecane.... moped... It had pedals...
Motobecane was one of those multi-product companies.
Much like Yamaha or Mitsubishi.

I am very happy with my Motobecane Fantom FS Comp.
The only things I'm really looking into upgrading are the brakes and the front fork.

I would also like to throw some carbon on the bike :)

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
I agree I would go for a moto comp over the 700ds any day . I own a moto comp frame that I built up and it is a good bike for the price and after some parts wear out you can balance the build out better.

Here is mine . Its very quick ,agile , active and rails down hill very good . Out of all my bikes it is my second favorite. Not a special build as I just bought the frame and built it up from there for around 500 total but I have new stuff going on it soon . Hydro brakes,mc3.3 rear and marz all mt sl plus other parts from my enduro as its getting upgrades. BTW the moto is very close to what the stock comp is .Actually my buddies 05 comp came with judy sl crappy compared to the tora or revelations on the better moto build.

the other bike I ride alot which dosen't climb as good and not as quick off the line but fun :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.