Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for stopping by and looking for help. Please understand that since you're in the Ibex Forum, you're going to get a biased opinion :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, if you take both bikes and look at the components and compare, I feel the Ibex has a better overall spec.

I'll take the Ibex's Marzocchi fork over the Judy on the Moto, the front derailleur is better on the Ibex, the brakes are definitely better on the Ibex, and while I don't know much about the wheelset on the Motobecane, I do know the quality of the wheelsset on the Ibex, as I've ridden a very similar set. I also know that the Ignition frame has a pretty solid reputation based on the reviwews on this site.

Again, please understand that I am a huge Ibex proponent, but I think that if you ask around regarding the components I've compared, others with no bias will probably give you similar answers.

I hope this helps.

Bob

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Comparison between the Ibex Ignition 3 and the Motobecane 700 DS

What I like about the Motobecane
Tires - Weirwolves are nice. Dont really see them on bikes at this budget.
What i dont like about the Motobecane
Fork - Judy TT is a pogo stick
Shock - Not too sure whats coming with it but i think it's going to be generic
Front Derailer - Not sure if it's even considered entry level

What i like about the Ibes Ignition 3
Better fork - The Slate will pawn the Judy TT with the TPC dampening. It's also got a lockout feature and is air adjustable for compression. It's also an 07 fork. The Judy TT is from 2004 - 2005 i think
Brakes - BB5 are pretty good. Only a slight difference in performance compared to the BB7. Also the FR-5 levers arent bad compared to the Tektros
Drivetrain - Better drivetrain overall with LX rear and Deore front with Deore shifters.
Rear shock - The Bar might be entry level, but it's definitely better then any generic shock. They have had their problems in previous models but the one coming with the Ignition 3 is the 07 model which possibly might have all those problems fixed. It's also air adjustable to fit rider weight and riding style...

Also difference in frame. The Ibex is a Faux bar design while the Motobecane is a single pivot... Without a good rear shock, a single pivot will definitely lack in performance compared to a Faux bar in my opinion in terms of brake jack, sensitivity, pedaling and etc...

Overall, Ibex Ignition 3 is definitely the better deal over the Motobecane 700 DS and is only $10 more... Your choice...

ps - my opinion may be biased as well... but i think i gave pretty good reasoning...

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
How much travel?

ayzngod said:
Trying to buy a new bike just wondering which is better. just wanted to know some honest opinions.
The Ignition frame has four inches of rear travel. How much rear travel does the Motobecane frame have? I suspect two or three inches from the picture. My son had a CTC Schwinn DSA 240 bike with a frame that was almost identical. The rear triangle was steel, although the rest of the frame was aluminum. It only had two inches of rear travel.

old dude

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Ayzn! Good to see someone else with a similar dilemma to what I had. I spent alot of time comparing various models against the DS series of Motobecane bikes ( even compared the DS line to some hardtails including the ibex alpine line and the Ironhorse bikes that have a clearance on last year models at rscycle.com)

The best advice I can give you after literally almost a month of fact comparing, quality comparing, and equipment comparing is you have to do what feels best for you. It will be a rough decision, but if you would like an unbiased opinion....I would say go with an Ibex. The only reason I didnt was the long wait on the shipping backorders for the particular model I wanted. There are times I still regret that, but I went with an HT maverick team model from Ironhorse. I LOVE my bike dont get me wrong, but there will always be that "maybe I should have just waited for an Ibex" feeling lol.

For the components, quality, and price the Ignition series is clearly the victor. Spend the extra money and get a nice quality bike. I went with the "cheaper" route and took a last season clearance bike and love it...some others arent so lucky. The only problem I have had is the front deraileur ( Shimano POS that seems to be getting prone to ghost shifting and is never quite "on" despite my many adjustments, but that may be part of the problem too lol ). And there was a few wierd shipping bugs that I had to squash before I could enjoy the bike ( front deraileur shifter was broken and the neck was preinstalled upside down lol ).

If I could do it over again would I do it the same way? Possibly. The money I saved on the bike can go toward replacing the crappy deraileur, so its no big deal. I just hate the Ibex demon that climbs on my shoulder every time I have to tweak or fix something and says, "shoulda bought an ibex" haha.

Good luck on your decision. I hope everything works out for you! Remember, the bike you choose may look the ****, but if it's a piece of **** you'll spend everyday hating it and yourself for an ill timed quick pick that suits your wallet.

By the way, would you consider yourself a "bigger" rider ( over 200lbs or over 6ft tall)? If so, then definately stay away from the MB DS series...lots of linkage problems I have heard about for heavy riders and one I have seen from a friend of the fatass persuasion ( I am a fat bastage too, but his big ass broke it lol).

Cant go wrong with an Ibex....I mean, what other bike company has a reich of bikenazis like Ibex? LOL j/k guys. You know I got the love for ya. I'd be one too if I coulda waited haha :)

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
the ignition's components kill the moto's. especially the slate VS the "long travel" judy, that is actually like a 03 judy ? the ignitions are nice bikes, the slate fork I finally got to ride one. very interisting I liked it a lot.

go with the ibex

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Tektro X9 brakes?

txjohng said:
the moto also does not have non disc specific rims ....which seems odd to me...
I'm not so concerned about the dual purpose rims. My Rhynolites are rom or disc compatible. Having just looked at the specs again, I'd be more concerned about the
Tektro X9 brakes. I've owned the Tektro I/O brakes and wouldn't use them off road personally. In addition, Tektro doesn't list an X9 model. Could be an older model, I don't know.

Bob

·
Registered
534 Posts
Buy a hardtail...Full Suspension is overrated. :D Seriously, if I only had $500-600 to spend, I would not even look at a FS bike. The Alpine 650 would be better choice IMHO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bhelv82 said:
Hey Ayzn! Good to see someone else with a similar dilemma to what I had. I spent alot of time comparing various models against the DS series of Motobecane bikes ( even compared the DS line to some hardtails including the ibex alpine line and the Ironhorse bikes that have a clearance on last year models at rscycle.com)

The best advice I can give you after literally almost a month of fact comparing, quality comparing, and equipment comparing is you have to do what feels best for you. It will be a rough decision, but if you would like an unbiased opinion....I would say go with an Ibex. The only reason I didnt was the long wait on the shipping backorders for the particular model I wanted. There are times I still regret that, but I went with an HT maverick team model from Ironhorse. I LOVE my bike dont get me wrong, but there will always be that "maybe I should have just waited for an Ibex" feeling lol.

For the components, quality, and price the Ignition series is clearly the victor. Spend the extra money and get a nice quality bike. I went with the "cheaper" route and took a last season clearance bike and love it...some others arent so lucky. The only problem I have had is the front deraileur ( Shimano POS that seems to be getting prone to ghost shifting and is never quite "on" despite my many adjustments, but that may be part of the problem too lol ). And there was a few wierd shipping bugs that I had to squash before I could enjoy the bike ( front deraileur shifter was broken and the neck was preinstalled upside down lol ).

If I could do it over again would I do it the same way? Possibly. The money I saved on the bike can go toward replacing the crappy deraileur, so its no big deal. I just hate the Ibex demon that climbs on my shoulder every time I have to tweak or fix something and says, "shoulda bought an ibex" haha.

Good luck on your decision. I hope everything works out for you! Remember, the bike you choose may look the ****, but if it's a piece of **** you'll spend everyday hating it and yourself for an ill timed quick pick that suits your wallet.

By the way, would you consider yourself a "bigger" rider ( over 200lbs or over 6ft tall)? If so, then definately stay away from the MB DS series...lots of linkage problems I have heard about for heavy riders and one I have seen from a friend of the fatass persuasion ( I am a fat bastage too, but his big ass broke it lol).

Cant go wrong with an Ibex....I mean, what other bike company has a reich of bikenazis like Ibex? LOL j/k guys. You know I got the love for ya. I'd be one too if I coulda waited haha :)
So if you're only 115lbs, would the Motobecane 700DS be an okay first bike?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Thanks for stopping by and looking for help. Please understand that since you're in the Ibex Forum, you're going to get a biased opinion :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, if you take both bikes and look at the components and compare, I feel the Ibex has a better overall spec.

I'll take the Ibex's Marzocchi fork over the Judy on the Moto, the front derailleur is better on the Ibex, the brakes are definitely better on the Ibex, and while I don't know much about the wheelset on the Motobecane, I do know the quality of the wheelsset on the Ibex, as I've ridden a very similar set. I also know that the Ignition frame has a pretty solid reputation based on the reviwews on this site.

Again, please understand that I am a huge Ibex proponent, but I think that if you ask around regarding the components I've compared, others with no bias will probably give you similar answers.

I hope this helps.

Bob
Bob
I am shocked at your comments - so bais that it is sick

How is the Alivio frt on the IBEX better than the DEORE frt on the Moto???
this comment alone shows how bais you are --
Moto has better drive train period - no question

Moto is 27-speed - better shifters, better der, and the Aquila brakes are better than low-end Hayes in all our tests; in fact the Aquila is equal in function and setup to BB5s {if you have not setup and used Aquilas I would not comment on them - Hayes costs less to spec and for good reason}. Skipping mentioning the drive train is strange. Moving from 24-speed to 27-speed is expensive in spec.

In fact, comparing to a 600DS would be more spot on [and that is over $100 less than the Ibex -- heck the 700DS is about $70 less].

Truth is - we sell out of 700DS and 600DS all the time and there have thousands of riders using this frame and Kinesis is known as tops in quality of frames. We have never seen one frame defect on this frame. It is not a top end FS frame - but never is the IBEX. These are price point FS bikes -- both are great deals. But your comparison is just wrong.

I think you should be more even handed
and learn more about specs before commenting
just my opinion

mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
bikesdirect said:
Bob

Moto is 27-speed - better shifters, better der, and the Aquila brakes are better than low-end Hayes in all our tests; in fact the Aquila is equal in function and setup to BB5s {if you have not setup and used Aquilas I would not comment on them - Hayes costs less to spec and for good reason}. Skipping mentioning the drive train is strange. Moving from 24-speed to 27-speed is expensive in spec.

In fact, comparing to a 600DS would be more spot on [and that is over $100 less than the Ibex -- heck the 700DS is about $70 less].

Truth is - we sell out of 700DS and 600DS all the time and there have thousands of riders using this frame and Kinesis is known as tops in quality of frames. We have never seen one frame defect on this frame. It is not a top end FS frame - but never is the IBEX. These are price point FS bikes -- both are great deals. But your comparison is just wrong.

I think you should be more even handed
and learn more about specs before commenting
just my opinion

mike
Wow, good point. I actually compared both myself and ended up choosing the Moto 700DS over the Ibex simply because it seemed to have more/better components for roughly the same price. Dunno much about bikes though.

Plus, the Moto 700DS just looked really nice. :D

Glad to hear another point of view though. ;)

·
Registered
739 Posts
About CMC and BikesDirect

bikesdirect said:
Bob

I think you should be more even handed and learn more about specs before commenting
just my opinion

mike
Mike, I've been on these boards long enough to realize that bob knows that Deore>Alivo... I think he made some kind of mistake and got components confused. I know that he would not do something like that on purpose. Bob is a very respectable guy. I know he loves his Ibex and Ibex the company, but he is way above doing that kind of crap. I think you know that too.

The only thing that I can think of is that the Moto drive train is now upgraded. When bob posted, is might not have been.

Also, there are other posts around the same time that say the FD of the moto is crap, and I gotta agree that the M330 is crap. But the Deore is NOT. This post started 6 months ago!

<<<<<<<<<<<
Front Derailleur Shimano M330 Factory UPGRADED to Deore
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore Factory UPGRADED to Deore XT
>>>>>>>>>>>>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.