Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Recently I crashed pretty hard and bent the derailleur hanger on my Ibex Asta. In the meantime I'll probably get it bent back at the LBS so i can start riding again, but I'll buy a few spare hangers just in case it happens again (the stock hanger cost $13 on the website but costs $15 to bend at the LBS!). On the website, there are two kinds of hangers, one softer than the other. Which one do you guys use? Or do you use the tool? I'll probably be buying the stock hanger because I tend to stay on the safe side.

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
In all the years I have been riding mountain bikes, I have broken three hangers during rides.........a hanger is designed so that it brakes before a large force from pedaling and/or shifting under pressure is transmitted to your chain-stay and thus damaging your frame....

Every hanger i have broken has broken "in-ward" meaning towards your cassette if looking a the bike from the right side.......the tension is so great that I have had rear deraillers litteraly go through my spokes and bend them.

The last time this happened, I installed a "heavy duty" hanger. After a few years, this one also broke, but before it did, because it was harder the forces on it tried to pivot around the mounting bolt and it almost stripped the indentation that prevents it from spinning around on your chain-stay.

fortunately, it snapped before the chains-stay got seriously damaged. After that, I just stick with the stock "weaker" hangers and let them do their job. just my 2 cts.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm buying the stock hanger to be on the safe side, and I don't expect to be messing up derailleur hanger very often (I hope). I've had the bike for about a year and I fell on the derailleur a few times, but this was the only time I messed it up. Thanks for the input!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
aznfatnerd said:
I'm buying the stock hanger to be on the safe side, and I don't expect to be messing up derailleur hanger very often (I hope). I've had the bike for about a year and I fell on the derailleur a few times, but this was the only time I messed it up. Thanks for the input!
I say go with the HD Ibex one. :rockon:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My derailleur's bent too

I received my derailleur hangers in the mail and put them on right away. Turns out that both the hanger and the derailleur bent during my crash because the derailleur still scrapes the spokes on first gear. So much for the stock hanger being "soft". :madman: Is it possible to bend the derailleur back, or am I out $70? I'm kind of bummed out because if I have to replace it I'll probably be downgrading to the X7's instead of staying with X9s, which I really like.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are two photos (the chain is off). I turned the bike upside down, so the pic is from underneath with the derailleur retracted. Right now the bike seems to be shifting ok, so maybe I'm just paranoid. What's bothering me is that the derailleur cage scrapes the spokes in the derailleur's fully retracted position on first gear. Is there anything wrong with a derailleur that's slightly bent?

Attachments

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Shift the front to second gear.

Shift the rear to fifth gear.

Take a picture of the r/d with the bike as straight as possible.

Is the X9 long or medium cage?

Is the cage made of alloy or composite? and or both?

Answer all that and I'll give you my opinion (if that's worth anything) on whether it can be safely bent back into shape or not.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Jake Pay said:
Get up dog character smileys[/indent]
Shimano still wins more races than Scram. :lol:

So what the video is not showing is the Scram smacks every thing in sight while the Shimano is hopping over. :D

Jake up N out :prft:

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel stupid now...

Now that I look at it, it looks like the derailleur isn't bent much, if at all. With the chain on, the cage doesn't hit the spokes. The cage is stock (not sure what material), and it is long. I won't be attempting to bend it since it will make it even worse. Thanks for your help.

BTW, picture 24 really caught me by surprise. :nono: Nice one:D

Attachments

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
aznfatnerd said:
Now that I look at it, it looks like the derailleur isn't bent much, if at all. With the chain on, the cage doesn't hit the spokes. The cage is stock (not sure what material), and it is long. I won't be attempting to bend it since it will make it even worse. Thanks for your help.

BTW, picture 24 really caught me by surprise. :nono: Nice one:D
What do you see?

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info and pic. I thought they could only align derailleur hangers, but I'm happy that there's a cheaper fix than buying a whole new derailleur.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts