Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ibex Trophy Comp X7 or Motobecane Fantom Comp?

Hey folks,

Newbie here but rapidly getting more and more hooked on riding each weekend I am on the trails.

Currently riding a Columbia Trailhead mountain bike with disc brakes I bought at a Dick's Sporting Goods for $169. Good beginner bike and one I will hang on to, but have the bug for a better bike.

I have spent a lot of time reading about the Ibex bikes and am pretty sold on the quality and value of Ibex. Was ready to pull the trigger on the Trophy Comp X7. But I found the Motobecane Fantom Comp with almost identical parts for $100 less ($595 plus free shipping).

Here is a link to the Motobecane:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_comp05.htm

Just would like some overal opinions as to what to buy.

Oh--and I am 6-1 195 lbs and fairly athletic. What size bike should I buy?

Thanks a whole lot in advance for any and all opinions.

See you on the trails.....

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Dont think they have almost the same components. The Ibex Trophy X7 has better shifters and front derailer, a better chain... not too sure about the rest though. That site did not give enough details about some stuff like which Avid disc brakes those are and which RS Tora that is.

And as for frame, i'd definitely go with the Ibex. I've ridden one of Ibex frames and was really impressed with the build and how well they took the abused we gave it. They look sooooo much better then the Motobecane. Here's a pic of JakePay's Trophy...
The X7 is a different colour though, but i doubt it'll look any less good...

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Welcome to the Forums......

Wolfpack, (20" frame :D)
Pull the trigger, order the bike you wanted, (CLICK HERE) before you lost your way...:thumbsup:

IMO, the Trophy Comp X7 cant be compared to the other bike mentioned....
You may ask, why?
(Answer) The list is way to long and I'm not up to all that one finger typing....

Jake :ihih:

PS. XD, thank you for the complement of using my bike as a reference point :thumbsup:

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Jake Pay said:
Wolfpack, (20" frame :D)
Pull the trigger, order the bike you wanted, (CLICK HERE) before you lost your way...:thumbsup:

IMO, the Trophy Comp X7 cant be compared to the other bike mentioned....
You may ask, why?
(Answer) The list is way to long and I'm not up to all that one finger typing....

PS. XD, thank you for the complement of using my bike as a reference point :thumbsup:
dude, that bike looks soooooo good... of course i'd use as a reference point... :)

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Both nice bikes

With that said, you asked your question in the Ibex forum. Highly unlikely that you're going to get a Motobecane recommendation here. :D

Bob

·
Registered
739 Posts
GoWolfpack said:
Hey folks,

Newbie here but rapidly getting more and more hooked on riding each weekend I am on the trails.

Currently riding a Columbia Trailhead mountain bike with disc brakes I bought at a Dick's Sporting Goods for $169. Good beginner bike and one I will hang on to, but have the bug for a better bike.

I have spent a lot of time reading about the Ibex bikes and am pretty sold on the quality and value of Ibex. Was ready to pull the trigger on the Trophy Comp X7. But I found the Motobecane Fantom Comp with almost identical parts for $100 less ($595 plus free shipping).

Here is a link to the Motobecane:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_comp05.htm

Just would like some overal opinions as to what to buy.

Oh--and I am 6-1 195 lbs and fairly athletic. What size bike should I buy?

Thanks a whole lot in advance for any and all opinions.

See you on the trails.....
Although the IBEX is more expensive by $130, including shipping it is a nicer bike. HANDS DOWN ... oh and I do have a MOTO and an IBEX.

The parts seem identical until you look at the crank ...also the Novatec 4/2 Sealed Bearing
Hubs are REALLY NICE.

I also think the ibex has a lot nicer cockpit set and IMO I think the SRAM x7 are just as good if not better than the deore/xt mix.

I you want a really fast, super light XC only bike look at the fly pro ....but the rims are really weak...the X7 for 730 is a great price!!!!!!!!

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
txjohng said:
The parts seem identical until you look at the crank ...also the Novatec 4/2 Sealed Bearing Hubs are REALLY NICE.
The parts mix isn't really identical. The XT rear derailleur is a step up from the LX we put on the Alpine 650 ($569), but the Deore shifters are what we use there. They are not equivalent to the X7. And, yes the Iso-Flow crank is glaringly under-spec'd. It's not bad for an entry-level crank. We use it on our Alpine 450 ($369)

txjohng said:
...I think the SRAM X7 are just as good if not better than the deore/xt mix.
Deore matches up with SRAM's SX5. X7 compares favorably with Shimano LX in both performance and price (at OE level, anyway).

txjohng said:
....but the rims are really weak...
I don't know that those WTB SpeedDisc rims are weak, but again, not up to the level of the Sun's on the Trophy. We use SpeedDiscs on our Alpine series (Alpine 450, 550 & 650).

I also think the OP would find the Tora 318 Air fork on the IBEX Trophy Comp X7 more useful with air and lockout than the coil sprung U-Turn version. MotoB doesn't list the level of that fork, so I suspect it's the Tora 289. Rock Shox makes the Tora U-Turn in 289, 302 and 318 versions with about $200-$250 retail separating the bottom one (Tora 289) from the top-of-the-line Tora 318 Air.

Look, it's not unusual for a big manufacturer to use the lowest model in a fork platform because they get the "umph" of the name at the lowest cost. At IBEX we tend to do just the opposite. Most of our bikes, including the Trophy Comp X7, use the highest model from any given fork line-up. We like to have the full features like air, lockout and external rebound that make a fork more tuneable and more rideable. There are certainly exceptions like our choice of the Rock Shox Dart-1 on the Alpine 450, but that one came down to a choice of going with a lesser name like RST or pushing up to the Rock Shox... and it is an entry level bike with an entry level fork for entry level riders who may be a little lost with too many adjustments on the fork.

Regards,
Jack A.
IBEX Bicycles.

·
Registered
739 Posts
ibexbikes said:
The parts mix isn't really identical. The XT rear derailleur is a step up from the LX we put on the Alpine 650 ($569), but the Deore shifters are what we use there. They are not equivalent to the X7. And, yes the Iso-Flow crank is glaringly under-spec'd. It's not bad for an entry-level crank. We use it on our Alpine 450 ($369)

Deore matches up with SRAM's SX5. X7 compares favorably with Shimano LX in both performance and price (at OE level, anyway).

I don't know that those WTB SpeedDisc rims are weak, but again, not up to the level of the Sun's on the Trophy. We use SpeedDiscs on our Alpine series (Alpine 450, 550 & 650).

I also think the OP would find the Tora 318 Air fork on the IBEX Trophy Comp X7 more useful with air and lockout than the coil sprung U-Turn version. MotoB doesn't list the level of that fork, so I suspect it's the Tora 289. Rock Shox makes the Tora U-Turn in 289, 302 and 318 versions with about $200-$250 retail separating the bottom one (Tora 289) from the top-of-the-line Tora 318 Air.

Look, it's not unusual for a big manufacturer to use the lowest model in a fork platform because they get the "umph" of the name at the lowest cost. At IBEX we tend to do just the opposite. Most of our bikes, including the Trophy Comp X7, use the highest model from any given fork line-up. We like to have the full features like air, lockout and external rebound that make a fork more tuneable and more rideable. There are certainly exceptions like our choice of the Rock Shox Dart-1 on the Alpine 450, but that one came down to a choice of going with a lesser name like RST or pushing up to the Rock Shox... and it is an entry level bike with an entry level fork for entry level riders who may be a little lost with too many adjustments on the fork.

Regards,
Jack A.
IBEX Bicycles.
the rims are weak comment actually applies to the Moto Fly Pro. Either way IBEX wins hands down .....

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Thread Hi-jacked....

Texas John,
txjohng said:
Yeah that Trophy X7 is a GREAT DEAL -- WOW .... I'm still super happy with my Asta X9 though!
When you going to post a picture in the Post your IBEX thread. You'd be the 1st 07' ASTA in the thread :thumbsup:

PS. People shopping like PICTUREs :yesnod:

EDIT: CmC and the Administration cleaned up the B-F-Pictures so its easier to manipulate and browse the thread :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Nice choice

Very nice bike you're buying. The Trophy Pro on ebay was a steal. I watched that auction myself. Don't second guess your choice though, it's a very nice bike you're getting.

Bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.