Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
meltingfeather said:
except for the head tube and down tube.
and the FD cable routing and the rear brake mount design. Besides, it's unlikely that Marin did too much of the design work for their frame either.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
meltingfeather said:
except for the head tube and down tube.
It is possible that the Marin and the Ibex are sourced from the same open source moldings. Changes can be specified by the brand/designers which the factories will accommodate.

There are a lot of similarities between the two here.

I'm not saying I know these are similar/from the same source, but I am saying it is entirely possible that they are, based from what I've been told about the industry and how it works over there.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,311 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
It is possible that the Marin and the Ibex are sourced from the same open source moldings. Changes can be specified by the brand/designers which the factories will accommodate.

There are a lot of similarities between the two here.

I'm not saying I know these are similar/from the same source, but I am saying it is entirely possible that they are, based from what I've been told about the industry and how it works over there.
I understand that for sure, and don't disagree, but every time someone posts a picture of a carbon 29er HT people do this. sure they look somewhat similar... they're both carbon 29er HT frames. that's kinda like saying all pick-up trucks look the same.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Maybe people can buy them, and when they start failing and needing warranty the company can go under again (like their last 29er).

Remember, a warranty is only as good as the companies financial position...
You mean like this one?

This was a friends bike, and they sent him a Soma Juice as a replacement since they no longer made the frame.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
meltingfeather said:
I understand that for sure, and don't disagree, but every time someone posts a picture of a carbon 29er HT people do this. sure they look somewhat similar... they're both carbon 29er HT frames. that's kinda like saying all pick-up trucks look the same.

Actually the similarities are far greater than you are acknowledging. I don't know if the Marin frames have a bend in the DT near the BB, but the cross-section of the tubing is identical. Also they both have tapered HTs that are probably more similar than they look in the pics. An additional difference, however, is the disc mounts.

I'd guess the Ibex is a clone of the Marin made by the same people in the same factory with similar materials. It's nothing like comparing trucks, which have completely different factories for production. Most carbon frames (and other bike parts, for that matter) are made in a handful of shops overseas, so it's interesting to see which ones were probably made in the same shop.

And there's nothing wrong with people posting comparisons, as it leads to discussions about possible cheaper options, or the strengths and weaknesses of frame designs. Personally, I like to see what frames are similar in design, just for entertainment value.

So post away!

·
transmitter~receiver
9,311 Posts
jtmartino said:
Actually the similarities are far greater than you are acknowledging. I don't know if the Marin frames have a bend in the DT near the BB, but the cross-section of the tubing is identical. Also they both have tapered HTs that are probably more similar than they look in the pics. An additional difference, however, is the disc mounts.

I'd guess the Ibex is a clone of the Marin made by the same people in the same factory with similar materials. It's nothing like comparing trucks, which have completely different factories for production. Most carbon frames (and other bike parts, for that matter) are made in a handful of shops overseas, so it's interesting to see which ones were probably made in the same shop.
allright, allright, i give... post pics of the axman and eliflap's eventi and why not the new kona while we're at it? :D
there are some similarities (naturally) but also some significant differences:
the IBEX has a bent seat tube.
where are you getting the "identical" cross section for the tubing? that is certainly not true everywhere. the top tube on the IBEX does not taper down at the seat tube like the Marin. The IBEX's seat tube is also tapered to greater width at the top tube/seat stay junction, unlike the Marin. The shape of the bend in the seat stay just above the rear d. hanger is not the same... and that's probably not all.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
meltingfeather said:
allright, allright, i give... post pics of the axman and eliflap's eventi and why not the new kona while we're at it? :D
the IBEX has a bent seat tube..
Also ...please admit you are not acknowledging that all pick ups are not the same... some have dual cabs.;)

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
Captain_America1976 said:
You mean like this one?

This was a friends bike, and they sent him a Soma Juice as a replacement since they no longer made the frame.

You should've just ridden it out as a unicycle. You know....like the batmobile, when it takes too much damage and half the car drives off as a wide-tire motorcycle. Perhaps what you see above is a feature!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
meltingfeather said:
i might have to kill you. :D
You might be surprised...but I hear that a lot.
The line starts over there.

So...What were we talking about?..oh yeah...the Ibex pick up.
I always thought Ibex was a bike company.....do they still make bikes?

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
meltingfeather said:
the IBEX has a bent seat tube.
where are you getting the "identical" cross section for the tubing? that is certainly not true everywhere. the top tube on the IBEX does not taper down at the seat tube like the Marin. The IBEX's seat tube is also tapered to greater width at the top tube/seat stay junction, unlike the Marin. The shape of the bend in the seat stay just above the rear d. hanger is not the same... and that's probably not all.
I disagree with you on a few cases above, but that's not the point. The point is that the frames are far more similar than many other carbon frames that have been compared on these forums. I was arguing in defense of posting the comparison, with which you seem to disagree. You think it's stupid to post comparisons of frames, but I think it's not due to the striking similarities between these two specific models. You should go look at different pictures of the Marin, because I think the one posted in this thread doesn't provide enough dimension for you to make accurate assessments about things like taper (since both top tubes seem to have the same taper at the seat tube junction, according to other pictures I've seen.) Also, I'm confident both head tubes have the same taper, even though it appears they don't. You are right about the bend above the dropout on the seatstay..looks like they made that angle more pronounced on the Ibex.

Oh and the cross section I was referring to was the for the DT, which seems pretty clear from the sentence.

Edit: this is like car enthusiasts talking about the lines on a new car. It's interesting stuff to some and if you don't like it, you don't have to participate. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts