Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 31 year old male. I rode mtb casually in the nineties on a rigid crossover bike on fairly tame trails. I have been pretty dormant lately and thought getting back into mtb would be good exercise and good fun.

I am torn between the ibex Alpine and the Ignition. I tend to think the hardtail Alpine would be sufficient. However, I live in WInchester, VA right in the Shenandoah Valley, a real hot spot for mtb. I imagine some of the trails I might end up riding would be better suited for the full suspension ignition.

Any thoughts?

Sean

·
Registered
169 Posts
What Would Sean Do said:
I am a 31 year old male. I rode mtb casually in the nineties on a rigid crossover bike on fairly tame trails. I have been pretty dormant lately and thought getting back into mtb would be good exercise and good fun.

I am torn between the ibex Alpine and the Ignition. I tend to think the hardtail Alpine would be sufficient. However, I live in WInchester, VA right in the Shenandoah Valley, a real hot spot for mtb. I imagine some of the trails I might end up riding would be better suited for the full suspension ignition.

Any thoughts?

Sean
Different state same story :D Even the same timing except I started back a year and a half ago. I went with an Ignition Super '08 and love it. It took me a while to get used to the rear shock but I love it.

Rich S.

·
"They Call Me Bone'z"
1,609 Posts
if i had a better idea of your trails id toss up my opinion. but a good hardtail and good skill you can tackle a lot. although for you i say ignition. a full suspension is so much more fun! i love the iggy and i can race i in crosscountry and still do damn good.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hardtail! As people say, youll develop better skills on a hardtail than fs. Soon youll be passing all the people on fs. You'd be amazed at the stuff you can ride on a hardtail. I just finished riding in tahoe on my trophy, where there were jumps, drops, rocks gardens, and roots. While it may be more "enjoyable" on a fs, a hardtail is more than sufficient and responsive. Also its way easier to maintain and is lighter for the money.

Jake- Where did you get that red emblem!!??

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
FortOrdDirt said:
...............Hardtail! .:thumbsup:
.......................Jake- Where did you get that red emblem!!??
It's the silver one that came off the ATLAS Sporty..
I used the red touch-up paint that came with the bike..

~Jake....................

PS. I've got some red chain-ring fasteners, spaces and a seat post clamp coming in on Monday...;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all the amazingly quick replies. I think I am going with the majorities advice here and opting for the hard tail. I looked into the trophy but the Alpine's more comfortable less aggressive frame will probably suit me better. Plus I would rather choose where to put the 100 bucks into upgrades myself. I have never left any vehicle stock and I am sure this will be no different.

I have a 7 week old son who I want to eventually pull on a kiddie trailer and a wife who will wwant to ride on simple trails (paved and unpaved) so I think a HT will suit me for this and help e develop skills o the more fun mountaneous trails. If I really get into it I can then later justify a high end Ibex FS than the iggy and still have the HT for rides where it will be more suited.

I should be ordering Monday, I look forward to sharing my experiences and learning from this forum more after that.

Sean

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hope I'm not too late with my opinion...I live in Richmond and ride out in the GW quite a bit. A hardtail is not very comfy on those trails. You will tak a lot of abuse on a HT. I have ridden both and would defnitely recommend the Iggy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, a little late there. I already ordered the Alpine. I think at my level I will be fine on the Alpine and if I get one good season out of it and feel I need more upgrading to a FS bike is not out of the question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts