Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, let me start by saying that I am new to mountain biking so forgive my ignorance regarding many of the components/specs. I am currently trying to decide between the following bikes:

IBEX Alpine 450
Frame: 6061 Aluminum
Fork: Rock Shox J-1
Shifters: Shimano Alivio
Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Crankset: TruVativ 5-D
Cassette: Shimano HG50-8
Chain: Shimano
Brakes: Tektro V-Brakes
Levers: Tektro
Rims: WTB Dual Duty XC Double-Wall
Hubs: Formula
Tires: Kenda Koyote - 26" x 1.95
Cockpit Set: Kalloy Alloy
Saddle: WTB Pure V Comp
Pedals: Wellgo Platform w/ Toe-Clips

Gary Fisher Tassajara
Main frame Gold Series 6061 T6 internally and externally butted aluminum | Genesis Geometry
Fork Manitou Axel Platinum Air w/TPC Lock-Out | 100mm travel | Magnesium lowers
Headset Aheadset | Semi-cartridge | Sealed
Bottom bracket TruVativ ISIS GigaPipe
Crank Bontrager Select 44/32/22
Pedals Alloy platform
Front derailleur Shiman M-510 Deore
Rear derailleur Shimano M-571 LX
Shifters Shimano M-511 Deore
Cassette SRAM PG950 | 11-34 | 9spd
Chain Shimano HG73
Front hub Shimano M525 disc
Front rim Bontrager Camino
Front spokes 14G Stainless Steel
Rear hub Shimano M525 Disc
Rear rim Bontrager Camino
Rear spokes 14G Stainless Steel
Front Tire Bontrager Jones XR 26x2.25
Rear tire Bontrager Jones XR 26x2.2
Front brake Avid SD3 linear pull
Rear brake Avid SD3 linear pull
Brake levers Tektro RS360A
Handlebar Bontrager Crowbar Sport
Stem Bontrager Sport | 10d rise
Grips Bontrager Dual Density
Saddle Bontrager Select ATB
Seatpost Bontrager Sport

After shipping on the IBEX, we're talking roughly a $120 price difference. My question is whether or not there is $120 worth of difference between these two setups. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only real difference I saw between the 450 and the 550 was the disc brakes which really aren't that important to me. Other than that, the other components looked the same. But, like I said, I'm pretty much ignorant regarding the quality of the components which is why I am asking you guys for help. Thanks for the responses. Any other opinions?

·
Yasco
59 Posts
I ride Alpine 450, but $550 is a great deal on GF in case you don't need disc brakes. Otherwise, $600 for Alpine 650 would be a better deal. BTW, the Alpine 450 is more comparable to GF Marlin. So, you are lucky to have extra $$ to spend and you should enjoy riding GF, good upgrade from Alpine 450.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
kidnova said:
The only real difference I saw between the 450 and the 550 was the disc brakes which really aren't that important to me. Other than that, the other components looked the same. But, like I said, I'm pretty much ignorant regarding the quality of the components which is why I am asking you guys for help. Thanks for the responses. Any other opinions?
What are you planninig to use the bike for :confused::confused: what type of riding :confused::confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.