Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Newbie here.
Been looking around a bit, came to these two. Ibex 350 got spectacular reviews on this forum and few others. Falls right into my $300 spending cap+shipping. Trek is a brand name I've seen around, 4100 almost fits into the same price range. I rode the 4100 about an hour ago, and thought the suspension was a bit stiff - and can't adjust it.

Any opinions are welcome.
Any suggestions for an alternative are welcome as well.
If it helps I'm about 5'7, 150, will be riding mainly in midwest (IL) - which should probably give a clue about the kind of trails.

Thanks much.

·
Premium Member
6,950 Posts
It is probably because everyone thinks you are JamyD aka kkriina. Assuming you are not, I would change your username to something different because you don't want to be confused with that moron.

To answer your question, you should do a search as this question comes up regularly. Basically, at the price you are at, you really should be trying to save up $100-200 more to get a better bike. For the money, the Ibex is a better value, but again, save up at least $70 so you can get the Alpine 450 for $369 which has a halfway decent fork. It is well worth the extra $70 over the 350. I would not bother with a trek unless it was the 4500 or above.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That helps, Thanks.

Unfortunately I can't seem to be able to change my name, unless a moderator/admin would be willing to help me out.

Now, as a follow-up question... at this price range, are there really any noticeable differences in the performance and feel of the fork, or are you talking strictly reliability?

·
Premium Member
6,950 Posts
You are talking about significant upgrades from $300 to $400 to $500. Then the benefit per $ spent starts to flatten out. I believe the Gilla Fork and the one on the Trek 4100 are elastomer forks with no dampining. Compare that to the Marzochii with a coil and simple dampining system. At $500 you should also be looking at the Jamis Bikes and Giant. Both always give a lot of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd really like to stay under $400. Living in Chicago, i won't be riding this bike all year round.

any other recommendations within the $400 price range?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Okay.. so I've expanded a bit.

Trek 4900 vs Ibex Alpine 450.

Anyone?

I know this is probably getting silly, but I come up with these as I look around, my price
cap seems to go up.

Help me out peeps.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,950 Posts
Comparing the Ibex 450 isn't fair against the Trek 4900. One is a $370 bike and the other is a $560 bike. No brainer get the 4900. You should also look at the Fisher Marlin or Tassejera, Jamis Durango Sport SX and Durango SX, Giant Yukon and Iguana. For my money I would get the Durango SX or Tassejera.

Also here are some suggestions to get better deals:

1) If there is a performance bike near you, they will often have Jamis and Giant bikes on sale for $50 or $100 off.

2) See if you can find last years model in your size. At this time, a 2003 should be had for 25% or more off. Also 2005 bikes are coming out in your price range so dealers should start getting anxious to move the 2004 models.

3) Do not be afraid to ask if a dealer can do better on the price. There is nothing wrong with saying on a $600 bike, I really want that model but could only swing it if the price was lower. You should be able to find these models at 10% off retail.

Finally, make sure the bike fits you correctly. This is more important than anything. Do a search to get an idea of how a bike should fit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot man!

Unfortunately you seem to be the only one responding to my posts,
and I'll definitely keep your advise in mind.

The reason I've put these two bikes against each other, is because it seems I might be able to buy the 4900 for under $400 off ebay.
Frame size on it is 18" (I'm 5'7" - on good day 5'8") so it seems like a good fit.
The guy selling it says it's a brand new bike and the components listed match those on Trek's website identically.

Curiously enough the Ibex website seems to be down at the moment, so I can't do a side-by-side compare. Also seem to be gone all the MTB bikes they were selling on Ebay.

I have one more question. Is there a way for me to change my name on here, since you seem to think it may cause complete lack of replies to my posts (other than yours)?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
6,950 Posts
No clue how to change the name. I would e-mail the moderator and ask. While I personally don't have a problem buying used bikes, I would suggest that Ebay is quite a risky proposition. It is amazing how many of those bikes that were "only ridden once" have considerable wear and tear on them. Also, they are often not packed very well and will NOT have a warrantee if they break. I would be inclined to stick with the Ibex 450 or find a used bike locally if you want to go that route.

·
CB
48 Posts
4900 is nice......

kirrill said:
Thanks a lot man!

Unfortunately you seem to be the only one responding to my posts,
and I'll definitely keep your advise in mind.

The reason I've put these two bikes against each other, is because it seems I might be able to buy the 4900 for under $400 off ebay.
Frame size on it is 18" (I'm 5'7" - on good day 5'8") so it seems like a good fit.
The guy selling it says it's a brand new bike and the components listed match those on Trek's website identically.

Curiously enough the Ibex website seems to be down at the moment, so I can't do a side-by-side compare. Also seem to be gone all the MTB bikes they were selling on Ebay.

I have one more question. Is there a way for me to change my name on here, since you seem to think it may cause complete lack of replies to my posts (other than yours)?

Thanks again!
I got mine about 3 weeks and am loving it. I got two sets of tires and switch between the two depending on the riding I plan on doing. The bike seems to handle all conditions very well. If you are comfortable with the Ebay deal, go for it!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CBar said:
I got mine about 3 weeks and am loving it. I got two sets of tires and switch between the two depending on the riding I plan on doing. The bike seems to handle all conditions very well. If you are comfortable with the Ebay deal, go for it!
great,

Thanks again for replying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts