Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 24inch mountain bike for my boy. I have seen a few bikes I like but I think the Ibex is my favorite. I would like to find one used before I fork out close to 500 bucks for a kids bike (after shipping). Does anyone have suggestions on where to look for kids bikes used. I've been watching craigs list for a while but no luck so far. He is an in between size so If I saw a deal on a 320 I would grab it.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was in the same boat...I really wanted a couple of Ibex's for the kids, they really like my Asta, but dang are they hard to find when they're used. I kept my eyes on Craigslist and ended up with a pair of Trek 220's that were just a few years old. I got the boys for $75- it was in good shape and my girls for $100, but it was like new. I just couldn't justify spending the big bucks when I knew they were going to grow out of them. I had a 20 inch Trek and a 20 inch Specialized for them and they outgrew them in a year. Good thing I bought those used also. Keep your eye's and options open, if you know what you're looking for, with patience, you can find it. Look at Trek's, Specialized, Scott, even some of the Jamis's can have very small frames...maybe your kid can fit a 26inch with an 11 inch frame. If you go to the bike's craigslist for your area and just type in the search box "24" it will narrow down all the stuff you gotta go thru.
Hope that helps.
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that does help. Its hard to find good quality bikes for the kids. Any makes and models you can recommend I would be interested. Sometimes I see bikes on Craigs list and its hard to tell if they are decent or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have two sons I am shopping for, both are beginners but they have been out every weekend for a few months and seem very aggressive. No problem with single track cross country and they want to tackle anything they see in front of them.
The oldest boy is 12 years old 5ft tall with an inseam of 28 inches he weights 85 lbs
The younger is 9 years old 4ft 5 inches tall with an inseam of 24 inches and he weights 65 lbs

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Sounds like you might need a 24" and a 26". The 12 year old could ride the 14" Alpine for about 2 years then pass it off the the now 9 year old. Finding a good used 24" wheel bike could be tough since most are manufactured for the entry level, say Kmart, and have poor components. Another option would be to get a DJ bike with a 1X9 set up or look for a 13.5" bike with a sloping TT. :thumbsup:

Here ya go same bike one when my son was 11 and the other when 19. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
woleary said:
I have two sons I am shopping for, both are beginners but they have been out every weekend for a few months and seem very aggressive. No problem with single track cross country and they want to tackle anything they see in front of them.
The oldest boy is 12 years old 5ft tall with an inseam of 28 inches he weights 85 lbs
The younger is 9 years old 4ft 5 inches tall with an inseam of 24 inches and he weights 65 lbs
wow your 12 year old is almost as tall as me... im 5'2 and 19 years old.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
MiniTrail said:
I don't think I ever got 8 years out of anything

well played! :thumbsup:
I let him work on his own bike 2 years ago the results were crazy. He out jumped mrperc and he only had one side of the BB installed and this was a 4 hour session. Kid didnt know their are 2 bearings supporting the BB. :crazy:

Attachments

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
MiniTrail said:
boy rides hard
he don't need no stinking bearings,
Yes he did ride hard when challenged, he'd crack you up with his spectacular crashes. :lol:

MiniTrail said:
he gots his own!
He aint got much for bearings acting just like his dad did, STUPID :smallviolin:

Ok so I never changed thats different though. :headphones:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts