Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to pull the trigger on another wheelset. I already have a set of Phil's and they have been the best hub I have owned to date. The reviews on the 1'9's have me thinking. Anyone have both or ridden either extensively?

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
JrockFeltaz said:
looking to pull the trigger on another wheelset. I already have a set of Phil's and they have been the best hub I have owned to date. The reviews on the 1'9's have me thinking. Anyone have both or ridden either extensively?
Don't buy into a fad when you already know what is best for you.

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do appreciate your input, however I am looking for a response from someone that has both or that has ridden on both for sometime. Thank you for being diplomatic and keeping this thread on topic.

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
JrockFeltaz said:
I do appreciate your input, however I am looking for a response from someone that has both or that has ridden on both for sometime. Thank you for being diplomatic and keeping this thread on topic.
you are just mad because you still have my Whitesnake cassette.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I've got Phil hubs... to be honest I'm not that impressed with them. Here's why.
1. although the hub body is a work of art, it's also ridiculously heavy. They're standard hubs weigh more than heavy duty dh hubs, this makes them impractical on any buildup that is intended to be light weight.
2. The freehub body is a Joytech, if you know anything about Joytech freehub bodies you'll know that they're cheap garbage that gets specced on cheap garbage hubs... Definately not something that should belong on a hubset that costs $700. If you disagree, simply disassemble the internals and compare them to King internals, Hope, Hadley, heck even DT Swiss and Shimano... they are lightyears better.
3. The pawls in said freehub body wear out FAST, they also eat into the teeth on the ratchet mechanism... Have fun getting anyone other than Phil Wood to rebuild your hub when that happens.

They do have they're semi-lifetime warranty going for them though, and thats cool.

I'm not a big fan of I9's either... or at least the ones with the straight pull spokes. I'd go traditionalist and use their standard spoke hubs, the i9 freehub body is bombproof and a work of art. Much better than a Phil Wood.

Basically, if you're stoked on the quality, craftmanship, and performance of the Phil Woods then get the i9's and you'll be absolutely blown away.

·
Banned
226 Posts
JrockFeltaz said:
looking to pull the trigger on another wheelset. I already have a set of Phil's and they have been the best hub I have owned to date.
If they are the best you've ever owned then how much of an improvement could you possibly expect?

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
his dudeness said:
I've got Phil hubs... to be honest I'm not that impressed with them. Here's why.
1. although the hub body is a work of art, it's also ridiculously heavy. They're standard hubs weigh more than heavy duty dh hubs, this makes them impractical on any buildup that is intended to be light weight.
2. The freehub body is a Joytech, if you know anything about Joytech freehub bodies you'll know that they're cheap garbage that gets specced on cheap garbage hubs... Definately not something that should belong on a hubset that costs $700. If you disagree, simply disassemble the internals and compare them to King internals, Hope, Hadley, heck even DT Swiss and Shimano... they are lightyears better.
3. The pawls in said freehub body wear out FAST, they also eat into the teeth on the ratchet mechanism... Have fun getting anyone other than Phil Wood to rebuild your hub when that happens.

They do have they're semi-lifetime warranty going for them though, and thats cool.

I'm not a big fan of I9's either... or at least the ones with the straight pull spokes. I'd go traditionalist and use their standard spoke hubs, the i9 freehub body is bombproof and a work of art. Much better than a Phil Wood.

Basically, if you're stoked on the quality, craftmanship, and performance of the Phil Woods then get the i9's and you'll be absolutely blown away.
dear Lord. Forgive him. He does not know what it is he speaks.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
his dudeness said:

Thank You!

G

·
Phils look like every other ratchet drive hub, just with nicer sealed bearings and a nice hub body. Everything else looks pretty standard.

I9's are nice, their standard J spoke hubs will work with any rim out there and no messing with goofy proprietary spokes.

They are a dual ratchet drive system, so its 6 pawls in 2 groups of 3, so at any given time, only 3 pawls are engaging, but since the other 3 are offset it gives the hub a smaller degree of rotation before engagement.

Also, the I9's claim to have a 120 engagement point hub body, but again, since its a offset 3 + 3 pawl system, it's actually only 60 teeth which overcomes the torque problem like Hadley was having on their 102 pt hubs.

For that kind of money though I would say Chris King all the way, their ring drive system is second to none for engagement and torque load.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
yetisurly said:
dear Lord. Forgive him. He does not know what it is he speaks.

I don't? I'm pretty sure I do. I bought a pair of beautiful polished black Phil Woods in the summer of 2006. 20mm front hub and the standard 135 spacing rear (they do 150mm in case you didn't know). The front hub is fine, matter of fact I really have no complaints for the front. The high flange system does build up a relatively tough (and very heavy) front wheel. And Phil Wood to their credit has amazing seals on their bearings (hence people bragging about 30 year old Phil's). However my rear hub has been rebuilt THREE TIMES due to the cheap pawls and they're bad interface with the ratchet mechanism. Each time it's been covered under warranty which is great and cool and yippee for good customer service... but at the same time that shouldn't happen on a rear hub at that price level. The freehub body on that rear hub is an absolute joke and has no resemblance to anything that I'd consider "durable." Phil takes great pains to produce a high quality looking product, and they do a great job to achieve this lie. Notice how just about everything on a Phil Wood is polished... it adds to the bling factor I admit, but all the shiny exterior does is hide an inferior drive mechanism.

I'm 6'3, 200 pounds and have these hubs laced to DT Swiss 4.2 rims and they're on my 32 pound trail bike. That particular bike doesn't even get ridden as much as my road bike or my dh bike. I could understand blowing through freehubs this fast if it was a cheap hub and I was on a dh bike... but thats not the case. Do the math, that's about a thousand dollar wheelset that I haven't had to seriously true in a long time but I've had to service three times. I'd rather not wait the week or so turnaround time. my next wheelset will have anything but Phil Wood hubs. I'm probably going to DT SWISS for their superior performance and user serviceability (no tools to service the internals).

I'm really not joking. Call Phil Wood up right now and ask them who makes their freehub bodies. When you work around (and build) as many wheels as I do you get to know some of the standard parts that certain companies use. I'm about 99% sure its a Joytech freehub body. If anyone proves me wrong I'll gladly take it back... but at the same time I still wouldn't recommend these hubs to anyone that actually rides a bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts