Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a set of I9 All Mountain wheels (lefty front) with the DT Swiss 4.1d rims. The ERD is 538mm. I was looking to change over to the ZTR Arch Rim which has an ERD of 540mm. Any issues with using the same spokes?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I asked that very question several weeks ago. The 'official' recommendation I got from Jeff was that it would probably be ok, but they might err toward replacing the spokes ($$$). I don't know the thread pitch they use, but an extra 1mm on the radius (ERD/2) amounts to ~1/2 thread less engagement. And I would guess each spoke has about 5 or 6. Unless you are a hammerhead, I can't imagine that would be an issue.

Anyway, let me know what happens. I was planning to swap rims (4.1d to Arch) in the off season so I'd be interested to hear your experience.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Always ask for longer spokes than they normally use. Chances are better that you can reuse them for the next rim and at $5 a pop, I don't even care if they are too long as long as I can reusue them. This doesn't help the OP but may help others.

·
Registered
133 Posts
BlueMountain said:
Always ask for longer spokes than they normally use. Chances are better that you can reuse them for the next rim and at $5 a pop, I don't even care if they are too long as long as I can reusue them. This doesn't help the OP but may help others.
Eh? Going long limits the threads of engagement on the initial build (unused spoke threads extend beyond the hub threads) and would ensure a nice rebuild on large ERD rims, but would leave you SOL for smaller ERD rims. I don't see that as a blanket solution.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
multiaxial said:
I asked that very question several weeks ago. The 'official' recommendation I got from Jeff was that it would probably be ok, but they might err toward replacing the spokes ($$$). I don't know the thread pitch they use, but an extra 1mm on the radius (ERD/2) amounts to ~1/2 thread less engagement. And I would guess each spoke has about 5 or 6. Unless you are a hammerhead, I can't imagine that would be an issue.

Anyway, let me know what happens. I was planning to swap rims (4.1d to Arch) in the off season so I'd be interested to hear your experience.
i had previously swapped the 4.1d's for Olympic rims and they worked great. But instead of a light weight wheelset I now want something a little more beefier... The flow rims are the same ERD as the Olympics so I am going to get those instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.