Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GoCyco
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t seem to get the freehub body off the axle, like Fig.4 of the Industry nine service manual.

My understanding is that it is suppose to slide off. Is there some trick?
I reread the service manual and cannot figure out how to get it off.
Goal is to change the axle from QR to 12mm.

I have the axle out of the hub body. Just can't get the freehub off.

Any ideas? (pictures would help)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I can't seem to get the freehub body off the axle, like Fig.4 of the Industry nine service manual.

My understanding is that it is suppose to slide off. Is there some trick?
I reread the service manual and cannot figure out how to get it off.
Goal is to change the axle from QR to 12mm.

I have the axle out of the hub body. Just can't get the freehub off.

Any ideas? (pictures would help)
I've had two sets of I9's and mine came out pretty easily. You might put the axle back in and gently tap the end to loosen it.

·
GoCyco
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enduro 29 wheelset

So, they slide right out? I put mine on an open vise with the disc side down (the pawls resting on the vise and the axle vertical) and tapped the axle with a mallet to knock it thru. But it doesn't budge.

·
empty beer member
292 Posts
The free hub has a flange that sits flush with the hub body. No need for a vise! Just hold the hub at the drive side spoke area with your hand and tap the axle through from the non drive side.

·
GoCyco
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it

Thanks for the help. Finally got it out.

But it seems strange to me that the 142mm axle when completely assembled, has a loose end cap. There is nothing holding it on, it just slides over the axle. The only thing that keeps the whole system together is being clamped onto a bike.

BTW, REX, the freehub comes out the non-drive side, not the drive side as you mentioned above (but I'm sure you know that and just types it up wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.