Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for a new wheelset and can't figure out which hub a want.

I can tell you I want a nice loud buzz so people know I'm coming.

What I can't tell by videos on YouTube is which is best for me. Some videos have a hub sounding loud while another video has the same hub not sounding so loud. I know I know, you can thin the grease out or use oil..

But I'd really like an opinion from someone who's used both (or more) to help decide.

Hydras have the best engagement so I'm leaning towards them. I know they're a little quieter than 1/1s, but by how much? Are they still loud?

Do I get the 1/1s knowing they'll be louder or can I make the hydra almost as loud and get better engagement?

I had an XR 1700 (dt 350, 36t) wheelset that I sold because I didn't like the sound at all. Now I've seen videos where upgrading to 54t will make it noticeably louder.. But again, how much louder?

I've seen comments by a video uploader (don't remember which one) that said the microphone/camera made the hub sound way louder, so that really doesn't help..

I don't need the loudest but I want a nice buzzing sound that sounds nice. I definitely don't want something faint that can't be heard on a windy day.

Here's how my stock wheels sound on my Scott Spark 910.. I actually kept them over the XR 1700 because of the better engagement and because of the better (IMO) sound. But if 54t is better than I'll consider that as well..

I like the sound of these and I'm curious if the hydras can be made loud enough to compare? The sound from video is pretty accurate.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
Are the 1/1's still the torches with 3 pawls? If so you could add 3 more pawls have, great engagement, and a good loud hub.

Hydra's are not quite as loud as what they replaced, best I can tell. A lot of this might not actually be the amount of decibels they create but the type of sound they create. So there's probably some subjectivity to the idea of loud.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,082 Posts
My gf 1/1’s are as loud as my new hope pro’s which are by far the loudest I ever had.
I was going back and forth between onyx and hydras but after riding the hopes awhile I really like the noise since it makes interaction with other trail users much easier so will go with hydras for my main ride.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,082 Posts
Mine are the 4 ones and there are some threads about problems with them which I can not say anything about since I just got them.

Engagement is high but not super high, 44 iirc.

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
Hopes are definitely the loudest (or make the most noise) out of any hub I've ever heard. I'd replace the bearings from go if I went that route though.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
But I'd really like an opinion from someone who's used both (or more) to help decide.
I've ridden DTs and Hopes (among others)... sometimes owned both concurrently. DT's (350's) buzz like a bee. Hopes (Pro 4) sound more mechanical, and definitely louder when I comparted them side by side in the garage. On the trail, walkers always here me coming on the Hopes. Not so much (maybe 50/50?) when I ride DTs. I ride with some that say they can hear my Hopes over their DTs as we're riding.

Aside from sound, both have been great hubs for me. DTs feel like a little more engagement, but the Hopes feel like engagement is more solid. To be perfectly honest, I've been going with Hope more recently because of color availability. I know, silly, but both are great hubs, so I'd have no regrets with either.

·
This place needs an enema
17,647 Posts
We moved to a rural area with lots of bears, wolves, and mountain lions last year.

My wife insisted she needed loud hubs to let them all know she was coming. So I put some 54t ratchets into her 350 rear hub to louden it up. Big difference in noise, but she still wanted louder.

So I laced her some Kings, because they've always been so loud. Not this set. Removed most of the grease from the freehub and it's still pretty quiet.

So I laced her some 1/1's, and they make a different sound from the Kings, but I wouldn't call it louder. Also removed most of the grease on this one, and it still wasn't as loud as the 350 w/54t ratchets.

So I have some Hopes on order for her, and will plan to replace the POS stock bearings ASAP.

If the Hopes end up frustrating me within the year, I'll revert to the 350 w/54t.

Worth mentioning, I just pulled a 240 hubset off my own bike, because I found it too loud for my liking. Those are listed FS here.

·
Combat Wombat
1,883 Posts
We moved to a rural area with lots of bears, wolves, and mountain lions last year.

My wife insisted she needed loud hubs to let them all know she was coming. So I put some 54t ratchets into her 350 rear hub to louden it up. Big difference in noise, but she still wanted louder.

So I laced her some Kings, because they've always been so loud. Not this set. Removed most of the grease from the freehub and it's still pretty quiet.

So I laced her some 1/1's, and they make a different sound from the Kings, but I wouldn't call it louder. Also removed most of the grease on this one, and it still wasn't as loud as the 350 w/54t ratchets.

So I have some Hopes on order for her, and will plan to replace the POS stock bearings ASAP.

If the Hopes end up frustrating me within the year, I'll revert to the 350 w/54t.

Worth mentioning, I just pulled a 240 hubset off my own bike, because I found it too loud for my liking. Those are listed FS here.
Curious to see what you think of the Hope's noise. I have been riding a set of Hopes for the last couple years and while the sound is different, always thought my Chris King's buzz was much more noticeable out on the trail. Maybe changing out the grease will fix that. Personally I do not think the Hopes hold a candle to the 240 hubs used by someone that rides with us occasionally. He must be running the 54t ratchets, because I also ride with a guy that has been running a set of 350 hubs for years and those have always been relatively quite.

·
EDR
10,792 Posts

That's a lot of coin for simply trying to make some noise.

A Timber Bell is 25 bucks, lol

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Inspector Gadget
Nor*Cal and I like bikes
1,185 Posts
So I happen to have an i9 Enduro wheelset with 1/1 hubs and a Santa Cruz Reserve wheelset with DT 350's and 54tooth ratchet upgrade.
I just put two videos together I previously recorded for lulz and put it on youtube for you (still processing for HD, not sure if sound will be affected)

I also have a video from a trail ride with the DT350's before the 54tooth.

Honestly I like the Santa Cruz Reserves with DT350's more than my i9 set. Changing the ratchets on the DT Swiss hubs is stupid simple and allows you tailor engagement/sound to your liking.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,082 Posts

Hopes were my first new wheel set in ages and when I first spun then they were dead quiet.
Fortunately they lived up to their reputation or my expectations after a ride or so.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts

Your wife is very lucky to have you as her husband. I wish you were my brother. All my wheel woes would be gone.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
I think a lot depends on the oil/grease. I have a 240 and a 350 wheel set, each with 36 tooth star ratchets. One is loud, the other is quiet.

A few days ago I spun the rear wheel of a We Are One wheel set equipped with I/is, and an identical wheel set equipped with Hydras. Based on that comparison (which may be different from other identical wheel sets depending on the oil/grease used), the I/Is were louder and much deeper sounding. The Hydras sounded much higher pitched, quieter, and a little irritating to my ears.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
My Hydra is quieter than my Torch. My 18T 350 is louder than both by about 20 miles after I grease them. My 54T 350 isquieter than my 18T but, again, it depends on how long ago I greased them.
When I ride my Hydra with a buddy who doesn't grease his 18T 350's, they seem much louder, to me. But yeah, get a Timber Bell. Really noisy on descents.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.