Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and found nothing in the forum, so posting. I 9 has fat hubs on their website. 170s and 190s specs, weight etc. Would love to build a set of wheels or at least a rear with one of these. Probably not in my budget though.

Industrynine.net. Look In the hub drop down menu.

Urmb

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Funny it did not show up. There are a bunch of people riding them, a friend of mine has had a set since December, he likes them a bunch. Quite a few people riding the Hed rims have them, I believe Hed stocks them.

I did a search and found nothing in the forum, so posting. I 9 has fat hubs on their website. 170s and 190s specs, weight etc. Would love to build a set of wheels or at least a rear with one of these. Probably not in my budget though.

Industrynine.net. Look In the hub drop down menu.

Urmb

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I9 is in the middle of a total redesign of the freehub system. Which tells me they didn't like their old system?

I was leaning towards buying a Paul Rhub, but they have to do a total redesign also, as they utilize I9 freehubs.

I personally don't like to be anyone's test rat, so I will be pursuing White Ind.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
White Industry gets a vote of confidence from me, they have a proven design. I have used 160mm White Industry Tandem hubs and they are tough.

I9 is in the middle of a total redesign of the freehub system. Which tells me they didn't like their old system?

I was leaning towards buying a Paul Rhub, but they have to do a total redesign also, as they utilize I9 freehubs.

I personally don't like to be anyone's test rat, so I will be pursuing White Ind.

·
Registered
213 Posts

I9's Torch hubs use a different freehub system than what was in the Rhub. Where did you get your information from about being "in the middle of a total redesign"? Are you saying that they are redesigning the Torch freehub? That seems difficult to believe as it already seems superior to what they previously used.

·
Registered
401 Posts
the Torch hubs are awesome for fat bike. building a fat bike29+ wheel set with some now. They are not using us as field testers as far as I can tell? I was on the Skunk team for ten years and have done some field testing. These hubs are the nicest hubs I have ever used. Buy once cry once.

·
Registered
748 Posts
i checked them out at their sea otter classic booth, very nicely finished and solid hubs. and are pretty loud. i dont see what can go wrong. and you have options of going thru axles by just swapping the end caps. they say they were not planning to make thru axles at the moment.

i asked about the pricing, it was quiet expensive so i didnt remember.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I9's Torch hubs use a different freehub system than what was in the Rhub. Where did you get your information from about being "in the middle of a total redesign"? Are you saying that they are redesigning the Torch freehub? That seems difficult to believe as it already seems superior to what they previously used.
Paul has to redesign the Rhub because I9 is redesigning the hub that is utilized in the Paul. If the Torch hubs are not in the Paul, than why would you assume I was talking about Torch? Idk how many different freehub systems I9 has.

I got my info from a phone conversation with an employee at Paul.

Ask Mikesee what he thinks of I9, and he might have a different opinion....that isn't positive.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Like I said earlier I have a lot of experience with I9's and not just looking at them either and no way would I have them on my fat bike. I agree with Mike C as well.
I would guess that there are more than a few people currently using I9 Torch hubs. I have one laced to a HED carbon wheel. I have about 500 miles on mine and like it very much. A little pricey but no issues at all. Anyone else that can weigh in here? I'm interested to hear what issues there may be.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Like I said earlier I have a lot of experience with I9's and not just looking at them either and no way would I have them on my fat bike. I agree with Mike C as well.
What kind of problems did you experience? I have a (non-fat) set of i9 wheels with the aluminum spokes that I rode on my main bike for 5 years. Still have 'em. Zero problems with mine. Replaced some bearings once. They were super cheap and super easy to replace using standard tools.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I guess that I'll find out first hand about the reliability of I9 Torch rear hubs. I'm about to build one into a wheel for my Krampus. Like I said already, I like the new freehub design better than their older design. http://www.industrynine.net/files/files/Torch_Hub_Diagram.pdf

That links to the new internals. I'd love to hear what Mike C has to say about the problems associated with these hubs. I personally am not a fan of aluminum spokes, so I wouldn't buy a complete I9 wheel, but that's just my personal chioce. I know there were some initial problems with the entire freehub body sliding off too easily, but those problems seem to have been addressed. Doesn't Mike C prefer DT hubs?

For what it's worth, I have used White Industries hubs for quite some time, and have had few issues, besides an occassional pawl spring replacement. I actually have a set of Snow Whites that I need to build up in the near future.

Since we're on the topic of hubs to possibly shy away from...what about Hope hubs. I really like Hope and have had great luck with their front hubs, but then I built a rear wheel using a Fatsno. The bearings seem shot after only 3 months of use, and that was summer use. I haven't used that wheel since last September. I really need to tear the hub apart. It seems that many others are experiencing similar problems. I guess that it all boils down to serviceability. I'm definitely not bashing Hope, because I like their stuff, but I think that I'd rather have the occassional pawl spring wear out rather than have bearings that crap the bed after a fairly short life.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I have 2 years and several thousand miles on my Hope Fatsno's. Zero problems with them. Still running smooth and tight on original bearings. Pretty light, good price (off the web), and also easy to service.

In general, I ride fairly hard and fairly often, and weigh only around 155 lbs, so I'm not a destroyer of parts. The only hubs that have given me any trouble in recent years were the stock Surly and Shimano ones that came with my Pugsley wheelset.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Looks like a better pawl spring design and no more big ass bearing pressing the driver into the hubshell. The old springs are easily damaged on the driver side during assembly.
The I9 driver/RHUB is sweet, I like mine, but have to admit to holding my breath for 197 DT's. However, In the event that doesn't pan on out I'm planning on the I9 Torch and would also be curious what issues anyone has had with them?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have 2 years and several thousand miles on my Hope Fatsno's. Zero problems with them. Still running smooth and tight on original bearings. Pretty light, good price (off the web), and also easy to service.

In general, I ride fairly hard and fairly often, and weigh only around 155 lbs, so I'm not a destroyer of parts. The only hubs that have given me any trouble in recent years were the stock Surly and Shimano ones that came with my Pugsley wheelset.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to bash Hope hubs. I'm not impressed that the bearings seemed to have died so quickly, but as you just stated hub issues are not exclusive to I9. I'm pretty sure we could find someone who's had issues with nearly every make of hub out there. We're often pretty hard on our gear. I like to reserve final judgement on a component once I see how serviceable it is. Both the Hopes and the I9s are pretty easy to service. Hooefully my Rear Hope will be good as new once I swap out bearings. I just "hope" that this is not a repetitive problem;)

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
What kind of problems did you experience? I have a (non-fat) set of i9 wheels with the aluminum spokes that I rode on my main bike for 5 years. Still have 'em. Zero problems with mine. Replaced some bearings once. They were super cheap and super easy to replace using standard tools.
I've put a ton of miles on the older version without fail well except for some of the aluminum spokes coming loose within the first 10 miles. I have the newer set of torches that I have not put many miles on but the fail rate on the first torch hubs have been fairly high. I don't like their 142mm adapter and I think their 197mm will be the same way, it is basically built so all that is holding the cassette on is when it's installed in the frame. It sucks the first time you change a flat on the rear and you forget about this and the cassette falls in the dirt. It just seems to me that my fat bike is just so much harder on drive trains and where I take it I just don't trust the I9's to get me back. I know no part is fail proof but at sub zero temps I just go with what my gut says and it says no to I9's. We have a ton of Hope hubs being pounded daily around here with great results winter and summer so I just feel better staying with them but I will continue to run the I9's on my 29er, the engagement, looks, and weight is just awesome and has really helped to improved my confidence in the rocks.

So to answer your question I have no real bad experience with my i9's just my gut saying no for the winter at least for now and until I hear some good results.

Edit: Oh and I don't quit feel the same about the i9's as Mike C. does.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.