Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Always in the wrong gear
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know for certain the dimensions for the spokes on these wheels?

I broke a spoke this weekend during an enduro race. I can replace it if I know what to buy- i just need length and gauge.
They're regular J-bend steel spokes.

Specifically, I a broke rear, non-drive side spoke, but might buy a few if they're different lengths (front drive/non-drive, rear drive/non-drive).

Edit: I sent them an email, but I don't have time to call on the phone just yet.

2nd Edit:
this document says 303mm spokes for both sides, but doesn't specify the hub, which is...you know, important.

3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I finally had time to call Industry Nine directly (damn the 3-hour time difference between AZ and NC)
For posterity-
According to the CS rep:
with 1/1 hubs, and the 29" Enduro rims (30.5 inner width)

The rear drive side and front disc side use 296mm 14g spokes
The rear disc side and front drive side use 298mm 14g spokes
He wrote "14g", leading me to believe they are straight-gauge, which makes little sense to me.

EDIT: The nipples are DT swiss Squorx; not standard ones, in case someone is searching for a direct replacement.

I replaced the broken one with a DT Comp spoke and a regular brass nipple.

· Registered
10,244 Posts
I finally had time to call Industry Nine directly (damn the 3-hour time difference between AZ and NC)
For posterity-
According to the CS rep:
with 1/1 hubs, and the 29" Enduro rims (30.5 inner width)

The rear drive side and front disc side use 296mm 14g spokes
The rear disc side and front drive side use 298mm 14g spokes
I would assume they're plain double butted; like a Sapim Race or DT comp.

Should be easy to tell if your existing spokes are double butted or straight guage with a caliper.

3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's actually a bit surprising that they do not say what spokes and nipples they use on their site - that absolutely is something that I take into consideration when purchasing a wheelset.

That said their alloy straight pull stuff kicks ass.
I agree. Like, all spokes break. publishing the dimensions needed for single replacements seems a no-brainer.
The straight-pull aluminium spokes are very cool. I have the regular 1/1 Enduro wheels because I got the set for $475 through an industry connection.

Should be easy to tell if your existing spokes are double butted or straight guage with a caliper.
I just haven't gotten around to it. I plan to check when I have the time. I really care what length and nipple gauge I need. for a single spoke, straight or butted is inconsequential.

· hispanic mechanic
2,688 Posts
Generally they send spare spokes with their wheel sets- I had 5 (IIRC) spares that came with my Enduro S wheels.
I ended up using 2 after destroying a rear rim landing on a stark fin rock with too low of tire pressure 🙄

3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Generally they send spare spokes with their wheel sets- I had 5 (IIRC) spares that came with my Enduro S wheels.
I ended up using 2 after destroying a rear rim landing on a stark fin rock with too low of tire pressure 🙄
I don't know how to respond without being pedantic, but if my wheels came with extra spokes, I'd have not needed to ask this.

I also edited the above post with nipple info now that I've actually replaced the spoke and nipple.

It'll do until I either build new wheels, or relace the 1/1 hubs into some carbon rims. I'm kinda eyeballing DT hubs and carbon rims.

· hispanic mechanic
2,688 Posts
I don't know how to respond without being pedantic, but if my wheels came with extra spokes, I'd have not needed to ask this.

I also edited the above post with nipple info now that I've actually replaced the spoke and nipple.

It'll do until I either build new wheels, or relace the 1/1 hubs into some carbon rims. I'm kinda eyeballing DT hubs and carbon rims.
Sorry, that was actually a lot less helpful than what I meant to post.

The spare spokes are 296 (which while not ideal, will work for either,) Sapim double butted. The nipples are Sapim square drive on mine, not DT Squorx. But mime are a couple of years old at this point, and who knows what they have to go with considering the supply issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.