Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Never used, but compared that one with other options for a new build. Ended up with Hadley:
- 101 with 90 POE, while Hadley with 72 only.
- 101 is lighter.
- However Hadleys are stainless steel and titanium, while the I9 rely on flexing to engage two or more pawls.

But the 101 seeps to be a good option overall. Since I'm very heavy at 270lb, I preferred ultimate strength of the Hadley.

·
beer is good
533 Posts
Never used, but compared that one with other options for a new build. Ended up with Hadley:
- 101 with 90 POE, while Hadley with 72 only.
- 101 is lighter.
- However Hadleys are stainless steel and titanium, while the I9 rely on flexing to engage two or more pawls.

But the 101 seeps to be a good option overall. Since I'm very heavy at 270lb, I preferred ultimate strength of the Hadley.
I've got the 101 rear hub, haven't built the wheel yet, but hub feels very high quality. 101 doesn't use axle flex, that is only on Hydra... 101 has 6 pawls with 3 engaging at a time. 295 grams. Also XD alloy driver is a non issue.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a set. Have about 6 or 7 good rides on them only but love them so far.
They're very smooth and engagement feels very solid and plenty quick. As mentioned above, it's 6 pawls total with 3 pawls engaging at a time.
They're very easy to service and i9's service and support reputation make these a no-brainer for a "budget" build.
We'll see how they hold up and I'll report back.

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've got the 101 rear hub, haven't built the wheel yet, but hub feels very high quality. 101 doesn't use axle flex, that is only on Hydra... 101 has 6 pawls with 3 engaging at a time. 295 grams. Also XD alloy driver is a non issue.
Good to hear they don't use the axle flex here, although I've never seen anyone with problems with this "feature" of the Hydras. Just the whole concept does not seem right to me, but if it works, I rest my case.

Again, I think the 101 is a good option overall.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Good to hear they don't use the axle flex here, although I've never seen anyone with problems with this "feature" of the Hydras. Just the whole concept does not seem right to me, but if it works, I rest my case.

101s are basically the old Torch pawl setup (6 pawls engaging in sets of 3) which is definitely an excellent and tried-and-true solution. I've probably put 10,000 miles on Torch hubs and never had a problem. Currently have a Hydra on one bike, it's great but honestly don't notice much difference with the increased engagement. 90 POE is plenty, I think! In short, while I've never ridden them I'd be stunned if they didn't work great and last a long time.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

If I9 is willing to discontinue selling the Torch, I'd imagine that the Hydra will last just as long, if not longer. I have a set of Hydra hubs and TBH, I can't feel the difference between 3 degrees and .52 degrees. The Hydra is practically instant. It also has larger bearings now which allow it to roll just as fast as my DT240 hubs.

·
Registered
412 Posts
FYI, Canadian carbon company, We Are One Composites are offering complete wheelsets with these hubs for only $1,000. The rims alone go for $450/piece so not sure how they do it. Also, the rims have a lifetime warranty. I just picked up a set of just the rims to build my own wheels and they're beautiful! https://www.weareonecomposites.com/shop/product/movement-wheelset-518

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't know about the dt 350. I'd say the 101 is fairly loud but not the loudest I've heard. About average. IMO perfect. Loud enough to let people know I'm coming, but not obnoxious.
I9 says you can use grease on the pawls to quiet it or just oil if you prefer it louder.
No regrets so far.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,785 Posts

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
The context of the axle flex system is important. Those things have 600+ poe, they're not really flexing.

Well, they are, but literally every pawl system flexes. Instead of causing damage and side loading the freehub, I9 uses that to get insane engagement. Its pretty damn smart. If anything, the hydra system will be stronger than 101, but im sure both are plenty durable.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,312 Posts
The context of the axle flex system is important. Those things have 600+ poe, they're not really flexing.

Well, they are, but literally every pawl system flexes. Instead of causing damage and side loading the freehub, I9 uses that to get insane engagement. Its pretty damn smart.
Well, yeah, but the insane engagement isn't the goal.

I9 recognized that every hub flexes, and that the flex can be a problem for pawl systems. Instead of trying to prevent the flex altogether (not realistically possible, anyway), they decided to use the flex along with the engagement of their pawl system to reduce the overall amount of flex (and thereby increase durability of the system). To do that, they had to use a processional system (instead of a phased one) and they increased the engagement to get the results they wanted.

I've got some Hydra hubs on one bike (wife has some Torch hubs) and no, the engagement isn't really all that noticeable when riding in most scenarios. I agree that it's a pretty damn clever way of approaching pawl hubs, though. I have no doubts that it'll result in the increased durability that they claim.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.