Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11256156?nclick_check=1

A Bay Area open space district has chopped down hundreds of Christmas trees along Skyline Boulevard in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Hold the tinsel and lights, however. The beneficiaries aren't kids looking for Santa, but frogs, snakes, deer and birds.

In one of the more unusual environmental restoration projects of the year, the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District, based in Los Altos, is converting 14 acres of a former commercial Christmas tree farm on its Skyline Ridge Open Space Preserve to an oak forest.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,465 Posts
Though they missed a chance to get some cash back by selling the trees to folks who would use them at Xmas. Maybe not have them come to the MROSD lands to get them (as they did in the past), but sell them wholesale to some tree farm. Had to be worth some cash.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
this has to be the stupidest move ive ever heard of ... those trees were fine just let em grow and put some trails in there ... oaks will take years to take hold

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Melt said:
this has to be the stupidest move ive ever heard of ... those trees were fine just let em grow and put some trails in there ... oaks will take years to take hold
and then die of sudden oak death . . . . suddenly

Seriously, I'm OK with the restoration work, as long as they add some trails.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Well, Oakland was named because of the huge Oak Forests that people saw when they first sailed south into the Bay.
Oaks do have a finite life cycle, but as long as new ones are allowed to grow, nature should take care of itself.
I do find it odd, over and over, how organizations seem to miss opportunities to make some money and offset some costs of the jobs at hand, all the while crying about not having anough funds to do proper/enough work.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I wouldn't bash MROSD on not selling the trees.

There are plenty of active Christmas tree farms in the Santa Cruz mountains. The ones I've seen all are "mom and pop" type operations. This is their big season for making money. I don't think they would welcome a gov't agency undercutting their main source of income.

Sudden Oak death primarily is killing tan bark oaks, and not even all of them. Planting other types of oak trees should be fine. The ones that take will likely outlive not only us but our children as well. Planting oak trees is a long range thing to do.

I couldn't pull up the original article. But my guess is the removed trees were mulched on site, which would be a pretty cost effective way to do both erosion control and put some organic material into the soil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.