Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
There is NO Punk Bible!
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference! It is killing me, I hear both used, but NOT by the same person or article, so WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE!? IS there a difference???!! And I will say, ALL of the One Speed Mt.Ber's I know DO leave me in their dust, but then I AM an OLD Oi Punk, NOT a young Oi Punk;)

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Don't Sweat It

old OI Punk said:
What is the difference! It is killing me, I hear both used, but NOT by the same person or article, so WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE!? IS there a difference???!! And I will say, ALL of the One Speed Mt.Ber's I know DO leave me in their dust, but then I AM an OLD Oi Punk, NOT a young Oi Punk;)
SS is a 1 geared bike that you can freewheel. Fixed is a 1 geared you can't freewheel, ie if the wheels are turning, you are pedaling, braking is accomplished by resisting the forward motion of the cranks, and sometimes a front brake. Give the SS thing a try, you'll be hooked!

·
There is NO Punk Bible!
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 1 cog frog....

1 cog frog said:
SS is a 1 geared bike that you can freewheel. Fixed is a 1 geared you can't freewheel, ie if the wheels are turning, you are pedaling, braking is accomplished by resisting the forward motion of the cranks, and sometimes a front brake. Give the SS thing a try, you'll be hooked!
....I love my 27 gears, and I ride trail systems that have varied terrain and I NEED the choices of gear ratios!! But, those ss'ers I ride with are FAST! I beleive they would also be fast on geared bikes. On crazy old dude has a ss with a front brake only, on a carbon fiber frame!! The bike weighs around 12 or 13 pounds, it is scary LIGHT!!! No B.S.!!! No it isn't a fixed gear.

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
the advantages of single speed

old OI Punk said:
....I love my 27 gears, and I ride trail systems that have varied terrain and I NEED the choices of gear ratios!! But, those ss'ers I ride with are FAST! I beleive they would also be fast on geared bikes. On crazy old dude has a ss with a front brake only, on a carbon fiber frame!! The bike weighs around 12 or 13 pounds, it is scary LIGHT!!! No B.S.!!! No it isn't a fixed gear.
You'd be surprised what you can ride and how fast you ride it when you only have one (usually innapropriate) gear. And then when you get back on a geared bike you will be shocked at the strength you have gained.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
old OI Punk said:
Can you somehow get a pic of that 13lb monster? Its doable, but costly. I'm just curious about the part choice.

·
Registered
204 Posts
But, those ss'ers I ride with are FAST!
They have little other choice. Momentum to a SS is like oxygen to normal people. You want to learn to retain momentum? Ride a SS. You will eek out every last drop of mo' possible.

·
There is NO Punk Bible!
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try, RedMantra...

TheRedMantra said:
Can you somehow get a pic of that 13lb monster? Its doable, but costly. I'm just curious about the part choice.
....he is a member of our Mt.B. club the Rock Cut Trail Crew.(www.rctrailcrew.org). He claims it is 11 lbs. , but I doubt that, so I say it is about 13. He has only the FRONT brake(WHY?!, I am going to have to ask, 'cause I want to know), and it IS super light. I will try to get a picture, or get the name of the frame and other relevant specs for Y'all!!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
old OI Punk said:
....he is a member of our Mt.B. club the Rock Cut Trail Crew.(www.rctrailcrew.org). He claims it is 11 lbs. , but I doubt that, so I say it is about 13. He has only the FRONT brake(WHY?!, I am going to have to ask, 'cause I want to know), and it IS super light. I will try to get a picture, or get the name of the frame and other relevant specs for Y'all!!
WHY? To save weight. :)

Really is sounds like it is a fixie.

For the greatest embarassment try to ride a fixie like an SS. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.