Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
They are just not as smart. I do both and wear gear for both. the penalty will catch up with them. I will take being a wimp and not be knocked out of commision by a swellbow...

·
DOWNHILL MAFIA
1,360 Posts
gtbikesalltheway said:
or are BMX guys just stupid? we wear full face helmets elbow shin guards and they go just as big on concrete and wear nothing whats the deal?
I believe the amount of body armor that you wear shows how intelligent you are.
When we were kids, our parents would need to remind us to wear our helmets.. We were young and fearless. Once you become aware of the consequences of our actions, we become smarter and less fearless. Thats probably the reason why most old-timers dont even think about going big. Wearing body armor also depends on how confident you are, but just remember how often you ponder the consequences of crashing, now that youre older, as opposed to when you were a kid.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I actually ride better with gear on. I feel more confident and burly, so regardless of whether it was view as wimpy, I know I benefit from it. I grew up skateboarding my whole life and there were a lot of times I could have benefitted from some protection that I now wish I had thought of. At 30, my years of skateboarding and snowboarding are making me ache, so bring on the padding!!!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
nah, most bmxers ride a shiz load of urban and dont wanna look like foolz in fullfaces and armor in front of chicks and stuff
i sometimes dont wear a helmet if i go street

in races, they wear helmets to

·
Registered
2 Posts

The reason why bmxers dont use as much pads is because their riding isnt as demanding and is much more predictable. when i go street riding all i wear is a helmet. but if im going to go hucking or downhilling il wear knee guards and a full face helmet considering the damage can be much worse. Also bmx tend to do much smaller jumps than mountain bikes so the gear is not as important.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
JSUN said:
I totally disagree...
....yea.....

i still stand by the fact that the ultimate dirt jumper is a bmx bike, yeti djs are a close second ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Freeriderbeast said:
The reason why bmxers dont use as much pads is because their riding isnt as demanding and is much more predictable. when i go street riding all i wear is a helmet. but if im going to go hucking or downhilling il wear knee guards and a full face helmet considering the damage can be much worse. Also bmx tend to do much smaller jumps than mountain bikes so the gear is not as important.
You think their riding is predictable????
they grind rails bunny hop over a heck of a lot more stuff than we do while doing 180 and 360 and they crash a lot more than us we have it really predictable compared to them we see the jump and know where we are going to land they see the jump know they have to clear a certain jump and land.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yep

i bmx and i dont want to look like an idiot while riding in town wearing a fullface either on my mtnbike or bmx bike........o yea and cuz i have faith that i wont fall i dont go big untill i warm up

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
dras said:
I actually ride better with gear on. I feel more confident and burly, so regardless of whether it was view as wimpy, I know I benefit from it. I grew up skateboarding my whole life and there were a lot of times I could have benefitted from some protection that I now wish I had thought of. At 30, my years of skateboarding and snowboarding are making me ache, so bring on the padding!!!
lol... i was thinking of bringing my dainese to mammoth next time i go skiing in case i wanna race downhill. :D

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
fooling around on just riding my bike on the drive i wear no gear, when doing some light XC biking i wear helmet and gloves and my shin guards. other stuff i have full gear on..most of the time. Helmet is a must and i have learned my lesson twice, kindda i had a helmet on when i had that certain incident then could have been worse without one.

·
Renegade of Krunk
604 Posts
Freeriderbeast said:
Also bmx tend to do much smaller jumps than mountain bikes so the gear is not as important.
Search for a video called "Aspire" in this forum, watch it, and then try and tell me bmx'ers dont go big.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Wimps, all of us.

gtbikesalltheway said:
or are BMX guys just stupid? we wear full face helmets elbow shin guards and they go just as big on concrete and wear nothing whats the deal?
Are you wimps? Yeah sure, why not. Someone is only a wimp when compared to someone else, right? So who is a bigger wimp, DHers or BMXers? Who cares? Both groups are wimps compared to XC riders & for the most part, they're all wimps compared to, forbid... roadies. If by wimp, you mean who is the toughest, you know, physically. The riders who can do it all make the rest of us, wimps. DH is handling, and if you practiced as much as a pro DHer, you'd handle that well too. But you could train all damn day and night the rest of your life and never keep pace with Tomac, whether going up or down.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
too much stoner-cool-guy mentalities. Plus terrain that has more debris usually invites more armor; landing on that baby-head rock right on your spine isnt as fun at the flat pavement, even if it'll hurt like hurt.

·
Registered
914 Posts
gtbikesalltheway said:
You think their riding is predictable????
they grind rails bunny hop over a heck of a lot more stuff than we do while doing 180 and 360 and they crash a lot more than us we have it really predictable compared to them we see the jump and know where we are going to land they see the jump know they have to clear a certain jump and land.
haha i love it, a bmxer in a dh forum. he starts off his thread all humble and ready for bashing then jumps to defense

·
SouthernDevilz/RoguePosse
238 Posts
thats also why you see alot more vids of BMX dudes gettin f'ed up and teeth knocked out than you do of mtbrs.

not knocking BMX at all i got mad respect for the 20"rs. theyre too cool for pads tho.

not me

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.