Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd get up early at my campsite at Rosy Lane, look around at the water droplets hanging off the aspen leaves, gaze up at the early sunrise illuminating the canyon surrounding me...and that was this morning!

Well, back to the Big Bad City and 95 degree temps, ya know, reality

Here's a few to get started, many more to follow in the coming days

Cloudy sunset at Taylor Reservoir. It rained all except one day but mostly in the late afternoon so I was able to get my photography done early in blue sky conditions

View attachment 1269653

My beer of choice for road trips on this day (along with Odell Rupture). Yes, that's rain on the windshield but it was enjoyable and soothing. I wasn't staring at my computer monitor, I was listening to the rain coming down in the early evening

View attachment 1269651

Left click the first pic to get started

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I headed out of the hot city last Monday on my way to CB

I stopped overnight to visit some friends in Frisco. Last year I took pics of Dillon Rez from a vast expanse of beach. This year it was as full as it could be

(left click the first pic after you've read my descriptions)

View attachment 1269801

The view west from Leadville. The snowpack you see had diminished somewhat when I drove back through yesterday

View attachment 1269807

I drink Eddyline Crank Yanker at home but it's a little too high alcohol content for me on the road. I stopped by their brew pub in Buena Vista to pay my respects

View attachment 1269799

Cottonwood Pass west of BV has been under construction for quite awhile. It used to be how I got to CB back in the day. The road up the east side has new pavement. I feared a long line of RVs to follow but...miracle of miracles...I drove all the way to the top by myself

View attachment 1269805

The road down the west side is still closed, getting paved. I personally don't like dirt roads and welcome the smooth ride. The entire Cottonwood Pass road will supposedly be fully open by mid-August

View attachment 1269803

Fast forward to the west side of Monarch Pass. I've passed what looked to be a spring piped out of the road cut for years now, thought I'd stop for a looksee

View attachment 1269809

And sure enough, freezing cold water was issuing forth. I'm a sucker for springs

View attachment 1269811

Now on to Ruby Lane

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Second day I arrived at Rosy Lane

I lucked out getting a walk-in spot in previous visits but had a reserved spot this time. And there were open sites when I got there, go figure

Left click on the first pic and scroll thru after you've read the descriptions

View attachment 1270095

This CG is right next to the Taylor River, home to fishermen and boaters. I strolled down to it unwind from the drive

View attachment 1270089

View attachment 1270087

This place even has an accessible ramp that winds its way to the shore to allow those in a wheelchair the opportunity to fish

View attachment 1270085

The spot I've always lucked into before was occupied but she was leaving the next day so I moved on over later. This lady lived Off The Grid, mostly. She was a writer and a mountain biker and worked out of her small trailer. She had solar panels all over and multiple ways of maintaining her working/traveling lifestyle truly off grid when needed

View attachment 1270083

Sunrise. You're flanked on both sides here by tall scenic cliffs so the light takes a long time to ramp up from dark of night but it's very cool to watch

View attachment 1270081

The highway next to Rosy Lane. Not as bucolic all the time as it looks here because it's the main thoroughfare up to Taylor Park. Lots of trucks hauling huge trailers with ATVs towed behind but there was still lots of quiet here. Pulling out onto this beat the crap out of pulling out into rush hour down here in Littleton

View attachment 1270093

Up till now I've already shot hundreds of work images and, well, it's off to work for me on the third day on the road. This was shot on Jack's Cabin Cutoff. I got out of my Honda and was enveloped with a cloud of hungry skeeters...yikes! A few quick shots and back into my vehicle

View attachment 1270091

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Every day I had some long drive planned

I've shot the heck out of Crested Butte proper, and really all adjacent areas. It was tough trying to come up with something new

But, what the heck, here's going up Washington Gulch

View attachment 1270379

This I believe is on Slate River Road. I saw a marmot crossing this time

View attachment 1270377

It may look like it rained a lot...and it did, mostly afternoons. After a long day of driving/shooting I'd head on up from Rosy Lane to the Taylor Res and watch the storm clouds move over the Collegiate Peaks

View attachment 1270375

And to the right towards Cottonwood Pass

View attachment 1270373

Fast forward to an area I shot twice this trip (and twice last trip), which is what I call the "Scary Road" up above the Black Canyon of The Gunnison. This is a large switchback away from the canyon's edge, Curecanti Creek flowing into the distance

View attachment 1270371

Blue Mesa Reservoir was as full as could be. All high water marks were under water. I drove past this three times heading to different areas beyond

View attachment 1270385

I drove south of Gunnison to a secondary highway (114) which meanders on to Saguache. Never been on it before, I wonder what's down there

Well, lots of sagebrush and short steep canyons and finally it opened up into vast fields of yellow flowers

View attachment 1270383

You are really getting the short version here. In between the pics I put up here are hours and hours of my work photography getting done

Now I'm just below Taylor Dam

View attachment 1270381

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In no particular order

After a long day of driving and shooting (left click the first pic and scroll through after reading the descriptions)

View attachment 1270625

I've mentioned the "Scary Road" up above the Black Canyon of The Gunnison (at times over 1000' deep). I've driven over it multiple times and always passed by a flat area that extended away from the road to the edge. Problem is, there's no pulloffs nearby to park and getting to it from the road means going straight down an embankment. Well heck...

So this time I said let's do it. I parked about 1/4 mile away, loaded up my photo gear and walked over to it. Once I got down to the "flat' area it was just solid sage brush, 2-3' high with no path. Now I know what Lewis and Clark had to wade through when they did their portages. What a PITA. But I finally got to the edge, did my photography then waded back through the sage brush. Never again but at least I did it once. Pretty isolated out there, no evidence of anyone else having been there (like fire rings or foot prints)

Of course, this pic doesn't show much but this is the general area as seen from the road

View attachment 1270619

Blue Mesa Rez was as full as could be. Last year the lake itself didn't start till way down the Gunnison River channel, past the first bridge with a mile of mud flats. This time the water was lapping at the road for two miles past this pic towards Gunnison

View attachment 1270617

Entertaining reading all this while pumping gas

View attachment 1270627

Early morning vapor rising after a particularly wet night

View attachment 1270623

I pulled over on Loveland Pass at a large parking area for a nature break. I happened to look down the 80 degree slope and saw...wait, what? A padded office chair leaning up against a tree. What??? It was waaaay down there, I zoomed in for this shot

View attachment 1270621

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Yes …. T Y for the efforts and posts.

Like many, I value this area and scenery although in my case, not as often from the trails as I'd like. Taking a trip vicariously is a pleasant substitution for the busy life many of us have.
I'm not yet retired but reaching the Wonder Years.
Wondering where the time goes, wondering why I don't get off my butt more often with more plans and bigger plans …. :)

Somehow, working full time in my later 50's feels different than it did even 10 or 12 years ago …. :eekster: Still, these 'trips' and images rev me up for the next ride and future plans that are usually part of vacation days.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cement Creek

The lady in "my" spot at Ruby Lane was moving out to go to the Cement Creek Campground. Cheaper and near a bunch of trailheads. I figured I'd go up Cement Creek road and check it out

Left click the first pic after reading the descriptions

On the highway looking at the snowpack beyond Crested Butte

View attachment 1270737

On Cement Creek road

View attachment 1270735

Trailhead sign for Farris Creek and points beyond. I rode these trails and everything else in CB back in the day. It's up to you all to supply ride reports now

View attachment 1270733

View attachment 1270745

View attachment 1270747

I stopped at the organized Cement Creek CG to check it out. Pretty sweet, might try to get a spot there next time. Off The Grid lady's trailer was there but she was out riding

There were a ton of spaces either just off the road or a ways into the forest with campers and trailers and tents set up so there are camping options

View attachment 1270743

I drove on and on. This dirt road was surprisingly well maintained, at least as far as I went

Killer views. Been a long long time since I was back there

View attachment 1270741

A little ways beyond the next pic I had to turn around because there was a very deep puddle blocking the road. A truck would go through, I didn't trust my Element to make it. I had to back up about 1/2 mile to get a wide enough place to turn around

View attachment 1270739

As I was driving out, finally back to the paved section, I saw a guy and his lady and doggie walking towards me in my lane. Middle-aged, not a dead beat looking couple, just a family unit out for a Sunday stroll I figured. He would not move out of my way as I approached so I finally got into the left lane to get past them.

At that point the guy was yelling at me and as I looked in my rear view mirror he was flipping me off. Guy was having a bad day, I guess. What unwritten rule near Crested Butte South had I broken? Oh well, some people

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,075 Posts
As I was driving out, finally back to the paved section, I saw a guy and his lady and doggie walking towards me in my lane. Middle-aged, not a dead beat looking couple, just a family unit out for a Sunday stroll I figured. He would not move out of my way as I approached so I finally got into the left lane to get past them.

At that point the guy was yelling at me and as I looked in my rear view mirror he was flipping me off. Guy was having a bad day, I guess. What unwritten rule near Crested Butte South had I broken? Oh well, some people
It's very stressful out there in the middle of nowhere with just your lady, puppy dog and majestic scenery all around you. I'm not surprised the dude lost his sh*t faced with the stress of having to scoot over a few feet to let you by.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
I'll bet he just wanted his photo taken.
Might have been fun to be a safe distance, yet let him see you snapping a few pics.
WT heck ,, if he's going to have a chapped as- about anything, might as well have some fun.

Intro yourself, " HI, I'm Bill with Bitchy Pedestrian magazine. I think we got ourselves a nice cover shot ! "

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll bet he just wanted his photo taken.
Might have been fun to be a safe distance, yet let him see you snapping a few pics.
WT heck ,, if he's going to have a chapped as- about anything, might as well have some fun.

Intro yourself, " HI, I'm Bill with Bitchy Pedestrian magazine. I think we got ourselves a nice cover shot ! "
It was weird. Lots of things went through my mind as I approached that couple. Maybe he had a petition and was stopping traffic to get signatures, ya know, like that's how they do that up there.

Maybe I was driving on a sidewalk and didn't notice. Maybe he thought I was someone he knew and blocking traffic was a way to say howdy.

Maybe at the last second he and his lady and doggie would sheepishly wave and move over.

Maybe if I'd slowed down he'd have come up to me and asked "Got any Pliny?"

Maybe none of that as I got over into the left lane and drove by. No time for pics, I just wanted to be away from them. You encounter lots of weird behavior from others while driving but this was a first. If they looked like lunatics it would be understandable but they looked affluent and, well, normal.

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This and that

I'm going to Summit County tomorrow, all business, here's the last of CB3 for now

Left click these pics and scroll through once you've read the descriptions

Pass Lake, top of Loveland Pass

View attachment 1270929

Hartman Rocks, from the road that goes past the HR parking lot

View attachment 1270927

A view you won't see again. A closed Cottonwood Pass Road from the Taylor Park side. It's ready to open next week

View attachment 1270925

This dirt road (720) goes up from The Scary Road up Curecanti Creek and, it turns out, is busy as heck, at least when I was there shooting. Jeep after jeep after pickup after pickup heading up there. I wonder what's up there?

View attachment 1270923

This is from a ways further on The Scary Road, looking over towards the Black Canyon of The Gunnison

View attachment 1270937

So here I'm over towards Cimarron, running around like a maniac doing my work, when I glanced down and see this dead hummingbird. Never seen a dead one, it just seemed so wrong, they're usually so alive and colorful at feeders or buzzing my head

View attachment 1270931

I really can't remember anything about this pic except that I'd stuck my camera out the window as I was driving

View attachment 1270935

Looking over to the Gothic road on a Sunday, sure to be a cluster if I drove it that day but scenic nonetheless

View attachment 1270933

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.