Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
keep the shiny side up!
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see this guy on a wal mart special dualie. he was zipping around without a care in the world when all of a sudden his fork snapped. One moment he was there and the next moment he was a puff of dirt. luckily for him, he was not seriously hurt. why anyone would risk their lives is beyond me?

·
I need more time
157 Posts
not sure what to say.

But yeah in my LBS they have to seel the cheap bikes coz really thats where the mass market is.
But i've had a look at them and frankly they are quite dangerous

Ignorance is bliss

Good point in your post btw

·
Registered
895 Posts
LoL, that reminds me of this time I was doing XC on a huffy (didn't have money for anything else) and I hit a little dip in the trail a whoooop there goes my front wheel. So my spring with a covering (aka fork) dove into the ground and I ended up on the side of the trail with a fresh cut :D I had tightened the tire just before I went, I don't even know how it came off...

·
Perpetrator of Lawsuits
393 Posts
Phat_Head said:
i see this guy on a wal mart special dualie. he was zipping around without a care in the world when all of a sudden his fork snapped. One moment he was there and the next moment he was a puff of dirt. luckily for him, he was not seriously hurt. why anyone would risk their lives is beyond me?
Funny you mention that. I saw a bunch of out of shape 40- 50 year old guys on brand new Huffys up there in jeans and t-shirts and identical wal mart skateboard helmets who said they were up for the first time on their new bikes. I asked where they were going and they said they were headed for Log Chute :eek: .

When I told them they might want to try something else for their first time they got pissed and chose summit instead (not a significantly better choice). They were real a$$holes about it--I think they were offended that I told them Log Chute and/or Summit might be over their heads.

Sadly, I was unable to stick around to witness the carnage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I Saw That Too.....

CanadianHooligan said:
I have seen many the crappy department store bike..and i recently heard theres like a 700 dollar SupeCycle!Like what the hell?!!? :confused:
Two weeks ago, I was in SportMart with my brother checking out some lawn chairs and we decided to go to the bike section. I was shocked when I saw the price tag on some of those bikes!

The most expensive one was $700 for a bike whose brand I had never heard of before. It was a single-pivot with mechanical brakes (unknown brand). I took it out to ride it but I couldn't because the tires didn't have air. So I sat on it and it didn't even sag. I got off and tried to adjust the shock but it didn't even have and places where you can adjust it.

I was saddened when I realized that someone was going to buy this bike and think that they have just bought a top-of-the-line mt. bike.

It made us appreciate what we have a lot more. For $550 you can buy a decently-equiped Giant Warp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
MTBsSd said:
LoL, that reminds me of this time I was doing XC on a huffy (didn't have money for anything else) and I hit a little dip in the trail a whoooop there goes my front wheel. So my spring with a covering (aka fork) dove into the ground and I ended up on the side of the trail with a fresh cut :D I had tightened the tire just before I went, I don't even know how it came off...
It came off because... its a Huffy! Just don't ride behind one... you'll end up losing your tires :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have to say Wally World NEXT bikes are funny. Coming from a background in BMX flatland, park/street, etc... this guy i know had a NEXT bike. When he bought it the thing was set up like crap! He had to do a whole redo on the thing. Can you believe the brakes did not work!!!! Anyway he also owned a nice Haro Mirra Pro but this one day in front of an audience he roles up on his NEXT and does his most insane tricks and jumps with it! It goes to show its not so much the bike as it is the rider. Granted the NEXT had a bent rim beyond repair and chain fell off!

Another friend I know has the Specialized DEMO DH and my lord is that bike a monster. He lets me ride it and i'm like, "What would I need this for? Its more like a motorcycle!" I didn't think it was a very comfy bike compared to my cheapo Trek 820! haha. Although I probably will never do any DH I don't see any need to drop that kind of cheddar on a bicycle!!!!!! Must be nice to be rich.... He does a lot of insane DH and crazy jumps that even I won't do (yet). Maybe on my Hoffman I can show him up on some crazy jumps but not on a mountain bike (yet).

Don't trust dept. store bikes. Every one of them is assembled wrong!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
yeah i really hate the fact that dualies are now common in dept stores. Lukily most of them will never see a real trail.

A few years ago in my only short lived job at an lbs (well, really a small sport store) they carried a 'buyers group' line of bikes, basically dept. store quality which a bunch of stores come up with a brand and part spec to get the price down. This brand was called Bonelli (ooo, faux italian!) and all their FS bikes were either named after Quebec DH resorts (Mt Tramblant, Bromont, St-Anne) or trail names from Bromont. Of course the irony is you couldnt actually ride these bikes down the trails they were named after without risk of death....damn greedy money men. Not surprising i only lasted a month there....

Ex weasel Boss on the phone: "uhh, Mat? i, uhh, dont think we'll be needing your services anymore..."

Me, still in bed: "OK, good, thats fine....have my check ready by friday"

Boss: "uhh, really?...its ok?"....of course expecting me to be shocked or plead or bargain...

Me: "No really i couldnt care less, just have my money ready...bye".....zzzzzzz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.