Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Don't Tread on Me
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy a Trance frame for a fair price. My NRS1 frame has about a million miles on it, all the components are top shelf but, I'm craving some new geometry. (My friends are upgrading to Epics, Nomads and Tracers.)QUESTION: Will my components swap to the Trance frame? What about the front derailer and rear brake caliper? Thanks people!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Browse/Search through the GIANT forum

Just off the top of my head as far as I read most parts will swap over. Trance uses a 34.9 seatpost clamp and the FD is a M960/M760/M580.... type - only Shimano works tus far, the SRAM will not work as of right now.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Shimano front derailleur? You'll want a top swing, top pull - large diameter.

Rear brake caliper should bolt up just fine.

If you're swapping the fork, make sure the steerer tube is long enough.

The BB is a 113x68

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well unless overnight SRAM started making a Top Swing FD then you'll want a Shimano FD. Far as I know the SRAM is only Bottom Swing.

jeffj said:
Shimano front derailleur? You'll want a top swing, top pull - large diameter.

·
Registered
128 Posts
what they said...

I did this swap about 18 mos ago. From memory it required a front derailleur and seatpost. You will love the switch - I thought "so this is what full suspension is". Pay attention to the sizing of the Trance vs. NRS.

·
enjoy the view
176 Posts
Franco94 said:
I did this swap about 18 mos ago. From memory it required a front derailleur and seatpost. You will love the switch - I thought "so this is what full suspension is". Pay attention to the sizing of the Trance vs. NRS.
i did the exact same thing about 3 mos. ago and you'll need a top swing front der. for the trance if you don't already have one from your nrs. i retained my 30.9 seatpost too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2007 SRAM Top Swing FD

LyNx said:
Well unless overnight SRAM started making a Top Swing FD then you'll want a Shimano FD. Far as I know the SRAM is only Bottom Swing.
2007 X7 front derailleur has a top swing, low clamp version. I have it on my 2005 T3 (16"). There was barely enough room to mount it below the pivot on the seat tube and still maintain 1mm clearance between the cage and the big gear (42T).

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Interesting Indeed.

Cool that's good to know and very interesting, didn't know they were availble yet. WHat sort of price was it? Another ?..... What happens if you want to run a 44 or 46t ring?

allandavid said:
2007 X7 front derailleur has a top swing version. I have it on my 2005 T3 (16"). There was barely enough room to mount it below the pivot on the seat tube and still maintain 1mm clearance between the cage and the big gear (42T).

·
Registered
20 Posts
LyNx said:
Cool that's good to know and very interesting, didn't know they were availble yet. WHat sort of price was it? Another ?..... What happens if you want to run a 44 or 46t ring?
Actually, I am running a 44t already, my mistake. I doubt I will ever go to 46t. I got the 07 X9 RD, X7 FD ($24) and X9 shifters from Larry (Mountain High) for less than $190 shipped, last month :) .

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Cool, thanks again for the heads up. So with a 44t it fits the Trance, nice to have options.

allandavid said:
Actually, I am running a 44t already, my mistake. I doubt I will ever go to 46t. I got the 07 X9 RD, X7 FD ($24) and X9 shifters from Larry (Mountain High) for less than $190 shipped, last month :) .

·
Registered
20 Posts
LyNx said:
Cool, thanks again for the heads up. So with a 44t it fits the Trance, nice to have options.
Uh...I take it back! The 07 X7 FD may have a problem with the Trances. I was putting the bike back together after installing new Enduro bearings and noticed that at full rear travel the thin verticle bar on the rear triangle will contact the cable anchor bolt of the FD. Now this happens at the very bottom of the travel when in the big ring only. I never noticed any interference before, probably because I only use the big ring on flat terrain.

UPDATE: I replaced the anchor socket cap bolt with a button head bolt and now have around 3mm clearance, due to the shorter height of the bolt head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts