Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all you MTB types, I'm a newbie to this forum and relatively to the "Scene" so please be gentle with me ;)

Here's my quandry:

I have an almost new (100 miles covered) GT Aggressor XC2 (Re-badged Avalanche 2) which I've been out on about half a dozen times and I love it. BUT I suffer from "Upgradeitis" with most hobbies and life in general and yesterday, I won me an Aggressor XC1 (Avalanche 1) bargain on fleabay, NEVER been ridden!

Now here's my dilemma: I love the black frame colour of the XC2, as opposed to the grey of the XC1 but the XC1 has supposedly "Better" components for the £100 extra at Retail, so I'm quite prepared to swap things around to gain my ideal "Keepie" bike (If the difference in quality etc is worth the grief of the transplant!)

I need some advice please, as to how much better, if at all, the items are and MOST IMPORTANTLY why. Basically, it's the whole gearing system, the Forks and the Brakes that are needing to be judged as it may neo be as simple as just a straight "Frame Swap-over" Here are my choices:

Brakes: Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic V Shimano M485 Hydraulic

Forks: Suntour XCR 100mm (Rebound & Lockout) V Rockshox Tora 302 Air(Travel,rebound & lockout adjuster) My own observation is that the Lockout on the Suntour is 100% lockout but the Tora still has movement. On paper, the Tora seems better with it's multi-adjustment but all I can find is bad reviews.

Gears: Deore shifters & Front mech / Deore LX 27 speed rear mech V Shimano ? shifters, Acera front mech / Deore 24 speed rear mech

Chainset: Truvativ Isoflow V Truvativ 5D

In a nut-shell, I want to build the "Best" bike from the choices above.

I'm intending to ride on light woodland trails, slightly rocky moorland paths and a bit of roadwork. I'm a slip of a 270lbs bloke, so I won't be breaking any endurance records, probably just my spirit and the valves to my heart :D

If anyone can help me with the above, I'd be internally grateful (Unless you just say "Forget the colour thang and keep the XC1", in which case you'll just sound like my wife!!!;) ;)

many thanks in advance, to anyone with enough time / good will to humour me.

Fraz

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Brakes...not sure, haven't used either. My instinct tells me to switch to the Shimano's...but Tektro is doing a pretty good job these days

Forks...I believe I would prefer the Tora, I have a 318 Solo Air and really like it. That said, if you like the Suntour better then keep it

Gears...yes, switch them out

Cranks...If the 5D's are isoflow as well, it doesn't really matter

Also, the wheels are probably better on the 1.0...infact they are probably using Shimano centerlock hubs so you probably will need to switch them out if you swap brakes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
Brakes...not sure, haven't used either. My instinct tells me to switch to the Shimano's...but Tektro is doing a pretty good job these days

Forks...I believe I would prefer the Tora, I have a 318 Solo Air and really like it. That said, if you like the Suntour better then keep it

Gears...yes, switch them out

Cranks...If the 5D's are isoflow as well, it doesn't really matter

Also, the wheels are probably better on the 1.0...infact they are probably using Shimano centerlock hubs so you probably will need to switch them out if you swap brakes.
Ta for your input.

Yes, I think you're right, although the rims are the same, the XC1 has stainless spokes and Shimano hubs but . . . . . What are "Centre Lock Hubs?" and how do I tell if I've got them?

the shimano brake levers feel nicer but I guess I ned the better brakeing system to pull up the weight, though again, I've read bad reviews on the Shimano brakes.

Dunno how to tell if the crankset is "Isoflow" as I was listing off the spec sheet.

The Tora forks attract me as they have a slightly thicker tube and when set up, the air adjustment may make them better for old "Big Bones" here but on the flip side, the Suntour seem smoother travel, are total lockout (Remotely from the bars) and are black (How superficial of me ;) ) Maybe you're right, just keep the forks I like. How much difference can there be? . . . . . Anyone?

Fanx

Fraz

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Pretty sure the Truvativ 5D crankset is also using the Isoflow bottom bracket...so I wouldn't bother swapping those out

Standard disc brake hubs use a six bolt pattern to attach the brake rotor to the hub.

Shimano also uses a splined interface that locks the rotor on using a lock ring (same as used to hold on the cassette).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
Pretty sure the Truvativ 5D crankset is also using the Isoflow bottom bracket...so I wouldn't bother swapping those out

Standard disc brake hubs use a six bolt pattern to attach the brake rotor to the hub.

Shimano also uses a splined interface that locks the rotor on using a lock ring (same as used to hold on the cassette).
how do I tell if it is an "Isoflow" bottom bracket or what make it is?

Having just removed the cranks, one is "Square peg" and the other is "Splined" (The one on the XC1)

Cheers

Fraz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.