Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I want to drop 15 lbs for less than $1,000

8K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  1SPD 
qkenuf4u said:
ya i like CR they had some old SHIVER parts i needed.. got the last damper rod they had for my SC shiver.. wish they had had both but only had one... :(
ive looked at some of the others but dont think ive ordered from them yet... :thumbsup:
With Universal Cycles, do not forget their coupons. They had been perfectly reliable, and usually the best price on non-blowout items, for me. :thumbsup:

BruceBrown said:
Step 2: Swap out to a lighter cassette. The XT 11-32 on the bike weighs 330g. XTR gets you down to 224g for $169 or so.
He has 970, XT will cut it to 256g. Much better bang for the buck then XTR.

BruceBrown said:
Step 3: Swap those tires out. 675 and 700g together could be swapped out for Maxxis Aspen front and rear the 120 tpi foldable version which weighs 475g each and will cost $55 each.
Rocket Ron, the answer is Rocket Ron. :)

BruceBrown said:
Step 4: Swap out those Shimano 540 pedals for the Xpedo M-Force Ti spd pedals which weigh 210g. Can be had on eBay for $129 - $145 or whatever you win the auction price or are willing to pay.
Don't they have a weight limit?

Simple things:

Bolt-on skewers may save ~70g for about $10. Halo Hex XL.
Bolt-on collar could save about ~30g for about $15.
Both will perform better the QR - easier to adjust.

My current favorite saddle is Fizik Antares. Nice, 140mm wide, and fairly light. Bought one on Ebay for $60. That's about 75g off. But saddles are very personal.

If you are not swapping the crankset - at least check if granny ring is not steel. Could be 30g right there, for about $15.

Tjay said:
lightweight tubes are going for $7-10 (maxxlite/specialized) and weighing in at 125-127 grams.
The only somewhat lightweight tubes that worked reliably for me - and I am not going to pay for Eclipse - had been Michelin latex.
I am testing the new Foss tube (with blue valve, running around $120+ g), and it holds up just fine so far, but I was not riding much or over many rocks. Winter.

I had bad experience with Lunarlights, maxxlight and other thinner butyl ones.

Hope Hoops wheelset from Wiggle, with Crest rims, and some <550g tires. (~ $400)
then, maybe..
E.13/Hive crankset can be found for not much. Get an alloy granny, move middle ring and add BBG bashguard. (~ $200)
XT cassette. (under $100)
Formula RX brakes with Formula R1 disks. (~ $300) (that's mostly because I hate Avid. :) )

200g for headset in your spreadsheet sounds a bit much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.