Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently purchased a canondale f5 (great bike) but i am really begining to hate the shifter.

it comes with sram sx5. the only reason i hate it is bc to shift up or down you push forward. other shifters like some of the shimano's there is a forward push and a backward pull to change gears which to me makes more sense.

my question is if i buy a decent shifter do i have to change out the cassette since it is only an 8speed? all the shifters i have found are 9 speed.

or are there any 8 speed shifters that shift the way i described above- push and pull to shift up and down.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
if you switch to shimano shifters you'd also need to change your rear derailleur to a shimano one. i'd probably look around on ebay for 8-speed shifters, your local bike shop should also have 8 speed shimano shifters. as long as you stick with an 8 speed setup you wont have to change your cassette.

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Yes the ST MC20 will work. And it will work with the Sram Cassette.
However, as InvictaS1 said you will need to change the derailleur as
well. However, that is not a big problem. We just changed out a friends
bike from twist shifters to rapid fire and here is what we put on his.
While ordering his I found Jenson also had a 7spd rapid fire so I ordered
it and the same Deore derailleur for my Son's Scott Racing 24. They
are both extremely happy with their setups now.
Hope this helps....

Lever / Rapid Fire shifters - 8spd:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SL407B03-Shimano+Alivio+St-Mc20+8Sp+Shifterbl.aspx

Shimano Deore Derailleur - works for 7 through 9 spd Shimano:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/RD507A00-Shimano+Deore+M510+Rear+Derailleur+Oe.aspx

ODN

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Ps............

I don't really like the idea of the lever/shifter assy. as a unified unit, so like I
advised my friend. Do not keep it real tight on the bars. You should be able
to grab it and using both hands on the clamp be able to twist it. That way
if you go down on the levers/shifter it will be less likely to break them.

ODN

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Get SX-4

I say give it a chance, you may find that you end up liking the SRAM shifters. One advantage is that you can still shift while braking.

However if you really want the Shimano Rapid-Fire style, and don't want to spend the big $$$ swaping your shifters and rear derailleur, you can get the SRAM SX-4. It works in the Rapid Fire style, however it is one step below the SX-5 in the SRAM lineup. Here it is on SRAM's site

http://www.sram.com/en/srammountain/components/sx4/triggershifter.php

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks

i now get it. need a new dr....

i thought about trying to get used to it and i cant see a time where i would want to shift and brake at the same time....but ive only just started getting beat up on the trails....thanks for all the input...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.