Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was surfing through a lot of different used bikes and i stumbled on this one. What do you guys think about it? I think not a lot of parts are still original, they are changed with way better parts in my opinion. But i am a noob so i can be mislead by a brand and etc. Two main questions are:
1. How much should I pay for a bike like this?
2. What do you think about the bikes ans its components "age"?

Attachments

·
Ride what you like!
1,190 Posts
In my area, the asking price would be $800 (Canadian), minimum. Really nice looking bike, just not the cutting edge of technology. I would spend $500ish, and expect to spend a few bucks more on maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i was surfing through a lot of different used bikes and i stumbled on this one. What do you guys think about it? I think not a lot of parts are still original, they are changed with way better parts in my opinion. But i am a noob so i can be mislead by a brand and etc. Two main questions are:
1. How much should I pay for a bike like this?
2. What do you think about the bikes ans its components "age"?
I have a bike for sale but it needs a inner tube for the rear tire. It's a 1999 Gary Fisher kaitai all I want for it is $700

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Reactions: acer66

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,089 Posts
You want $700 for a fixer-upper used bike that went for $750 when it was new 22 years ago?

That person just joined and the way it looks like just to take advantage of the current market.

Might realize soon that a mtb forum might be not the right place for that though.😉

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Well wats the best price I'm new at this
What is the condition? Are the tires 15 years old? Has the fork been rebuilt? How many miles? In today's inflated market, $200 to maybe $300, in a normal markt, about $150.

There is a buy sell page here, that is the proper place to post it. Your local craigslist is probably your best bet, you will get little interest for it here.

Reactions: DtEW

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Well wats the best price I'm new at this
Well here's some perspective that I hope you'll take in the right way:

In its heyday, this was an entry-level MTB that was fit for light trail use, but more-likely used as a get-to-class-bike a couple of years later* by college students.

* Either by virtue of them frustrating out of the sport and putting the starter MTB in the back of the garage; or becoming serious and investing in more-serious MTBs, also putting the starter MTB in the back of the garage until they re-purposed it, sold it, or bestowed it upon somebody else.

Between the Aughts (200Xs) and Teens (201Xs), a lot of standards (i.e. shared dimensions, interfaces, etc.) changed in the mountain bike world, which turned out to be necessary evolution to imbue MTBs with greater capability and durability. This is to say that:
  1. A modern entry-level MTB equivalent to your '99 Kaitai is going to be better, but more than just what one would expect with the advancement of technology. Therefore, nobody in-the-know will recommend a '99 Kaitai to a current beginner to start their MTB enthusiasm; it is a needlessly sub-optimal starting point, not to mention a dead-end (see next point).
  2. The change in standards means that parts needed to maintain/upgrade the '99 Kaitai are either no longer being made, or are only being made in low-end grades. Better parts can only be found used, if-at-all. Components that are meant to be consumed and changed (eg. elastomers and seals from that Judy C) will not have replacements. Basically with any trail use you will have to trash half the bike and scramble for major sub-assembly replacements.
Now, you will see 20-year-old-ish MTBs being treated with greater interest here. The two bikes mentioned in this thread prior are examples of that. But to use a car analogy... they are like vintage Lamborghinis or musclecars. They are probably about as bad of an idea for a daily-rider as anything else 20-something-year-old-ish... but they carry sentimental/residual interest for many people who have been in the sport for awhile. They also carry high-end parts and specs. They might be acquired as project bikes... but not really since high-end vintage bikes are not as rare or unobtainable as vintage collectable cars. They also end up being sold for a fraction of what the owner would have hoped to get for them

In contrast, the '99 Kaitai is basically a 20-year-old Honda Civic. It's suitable for somebody on a tight budget looking for basic transportation... hence Craigslist.

The best price is whatever you can get somebody to pay for it. There's always the off chance you can lock-in a fool (or a very rare somebody with a very particular interest) to pay top-dollar for it... but if you hope to have a reasonable chance of selling it in a reasonable amount of time, Cary's recommendation is where I would start. I would suggest $200.

·
ACHOO
4,508 Posts
What is the condition? Are the tires 15 years old? Has the fork been rebuilt? How many miles? In today's inflated market, $200 to maybe $300, in a normal markt, about $150.
Good, relevant questions, although I always feel the mileage question is irrelevant. At best you get an estimate, at worst you get an outright lie that you can't verify (unless there's unreasonable, visible wear).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.