Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But I don't know what it's like. Anybody have any course descriptions or past experiences they can offer up regarding the Lumberjack 100?

I see that the course is almost entirely singletrack, doesn't seem very hilly (8,000 feet over 100 miles isn't terribly much), and the photos show some nice, buff singletrack in a thick forest. But do the photos lie? Is it technically challenging? Does it get rocky for prolonged periods of time?

Is it first-timer friendly as far as 100-milers go?

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
EnduroDoug said:
But I don't know what it's like. Anybody have any course descriptions or past experiences they can offer up regarding the Lumberjack 100?

I see that the course is almost entirely singletrack, doesn't seem very hilly (8,000 feet over 100 miles isn't terribly much), and the photos show some nice, buff singletrack in a thick forest. But do the photos lie? Is it technically challenging? Does it get rocky for prolonged periods of time?

Is it first-timer friendly as far as 100-milers go?
Friendly for first timers? Depends. I think only 1/3 of the field finished last year. Some say it was due to the heat, but I think it was the fact that you ride past the parking lot (comfort) twice in every 25 mile lap.
It's not technically challenging, but you are turning constantly to avoid trees. The course is so flat it requires constant effort. There's no free miles in this race. You will work for them. It's also a bit difficult to drink outta water bottles, because you'll want to keep your hands on the bars.
All hundies are hard, for sure.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've never ridden it either, but I'm signed up already for this years edition with the goal of making the 9.5 hr. cut and finishing. I've got three riding buddies already signed up as well (the first time for all of us), so rest assured you won't be the only first timer. Go ahead and sign up. How bad can it be?

·
Registered
80 Posts
My first hundie as well. I signed up last week or so. Already got my conf. e-mail. No backing out now! My only concern is that it is super hot. I also have the only goal of finishing all 100 miles.

I'll be running my Monocog 29er single speed.

Anybody got gearing info? I might try to get out there a month or so before the race and check it out. I think they said the route changed from last years?

·
Big "T"
369 Posts
Every out of state rider that I've talked to after previous editions of this race have been impressed with how difficult the race was.

If you come to Michigan with the idea that it will be a cake walk, I guarantee that you will get your ass handed to you.

Treat this race like you would any other epic enduro. Be well trained. Have your equipment in tip top shape. And be ready to suffer like a pathetic dog!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, everybody. By no means did I ever intend to imply I thought this race would be "easy". Dicky's point about the lack of "free miles" is indeed a good one and I'm sure like any hundred, it would be very difficult. Anyway, it turns out I'm going to have to wait till next year for this one. Between TR, a new bike, and a multisport trip to Utah in May... my budget is blown. The wife who never says no to anything finally did. Oh well.. *sigh* I have to be kept in line sometimes. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.