Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never ridden an SS. Currently in San Antonio, TX so the terrain isn't exactly "mountainous" and the trails I've ridden on with geared bikes seem to get boring fairly quickly. Although I haven't ridden in some time, being fit to ride one doesn't scare me too much (unless it's really that bad). Just wondering with a college kid budget, probably around 800 what to go for...and rigid or FS?

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can definitely do a budget of 800 for a great bike. I just finished a build last weekend for 1k. I'm up in Dallas btw.

Scour your local bike forums like GHORBA and Austin Ridge Riders and be ready to drop cash immediately for the right part. Frame, fork and wheels will eat most of your budget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only issue I have building is that I've always bought new, not sure where to start as far as parting one together goes. Would it be best to have a LBS put it together once obtaining everything?

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's not that hard to do, no shifting eliminates the hardest parts of tuning. But for bottom bracket and headset installation you will probably want the LBS to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
29er and 26er
685 Posts
I would look at craigs list to find a doner bike to convert. I took a quick look in your area and found this:

Giant Rincon MTB

Bring this to the bike shop and have them convert it to SS.

I would guess that for about $400.00 of an investment you would have an okay bike to test out SS riding.

Here is a SS MTB listed in your area Redline Monocog

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in SA and ride my new fully rigid 29er... picked up a cheap Origin 8 Scout on Craigslist. I've hit up OP and Mac on the bike and haven't had an issue with the full rigid yet... so much better than my 26 that I converted.

There are a couple really nice Monocogs on CL right now... depending on what size bike you need. Could be a good place to start and upgrade as needed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In the Austin area, here. I found a used 2013 Kona Unit a few months back for about $700. I find myself riding my SS far more often than I do my geared hard tail but it does depend on what trails I am riding that day.

A Monocog would be a good place for you to look with your current price range and it looks like Ozone Bike Dept. has one on their website listed at under $500, 26" I would assume. Although with some patience and cash on hand you could come across something better on CL.

Building is fun once you know exactly what you want and have the time and tools to do it, but at this point I would suggest just finding a new or used complete.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts