Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this for a while, and the low bb vs high bb discussion made me think it was worthy of bringing up here.

I wish there were more options for changing geometry on bikes.

For example... I would LOVE it if my Highline had an additional shock mounting position that would let me put it in "low and slack" mode. Basically just move one of the eyelets outwards by 1/4 inch.

Some of you guys are lucky where you can change rockers or shocks to do this. For example, 7.875 x 2.25 swap for a 7.5x2.0. But running shocks like the 8.5x2.5 doesn't leave you with many options. The jump down to 7.875 is huge and aside from a custom Avalanche, you can't really do anything in between.

What about using an adjustable shock shuttle with two options? I always wanted to machine (via hack saw and drill press) a low/slack shock mount on my old Rail but for whatever reason did not keep the bike long enough.

Or just put another mounting hole 1/4" (or whatever) away... aka Specialized Demo.

I don't think it's feasible to have a one-geometry-fits-all and make everyone happy.

Plus, this way, no matter which camp you belong to, you can try the other setting and see if it works. And if not, then you know FOR SURE which style works best for you.

Also... when I first heard of people making offset 1.5 headset cups that would allow you to alter the HA by one degree - hell yes that is rad - but unfortunately it seems they never caught on. Hard to get lined up? Expensive? I'm not sure but I wish we had more options like this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.