Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago, I got turned on to 29ers. I bought a 2009 Fisher Xcal and it has become my main ride. I also bought an On*One steel frame that I have built up rigid and single. Recently, that bike got dirt drops.

Last week, though, I touched and rode a Niner at my LBS. Mistake. I am scheming and plotting and writing out the build of a new bike.

My plan
Sell the On*One. I probably cant get much for it, but it has decent wheels on it. For the new bike, I will use what parts of the Xcal I can and it will become a rigid ss. (Although, I have been an elitist and said that any bike with a singleator is not a real ss.. I like the look of EBB or sliders..)

The Builds

New Bike
EMD moondust
Fox F29 RL
Shimano LX crank
Sram x9 (24/36 x 11-34)
Avid Juicy 3s
Easton seatpost/stem
Niner bar
Hope/Flows
Axillary parts in red (headset, seatpost clamp)

Old Bike
Xcal
Niner Carbon Fork
BB7s
Deore hubs/Rhythm hoops (They wont die!)
Deore crank with HBC 32t
Endless Cog 20t
Surly Singleator
maybe another Niner bar if I like it better than the Bonty bar

Cost to do it all:
if I bought everything brand new, ~$1500

--Bad news: Im a college student.
--Good news: If i work ~40hrs a week for less than minimum wage, I'll have this done by collegiate race season this fall.
--Wishful thinking: $2k just springs upon me OR I get to work at that shop this summer and I can buy things at cost.

So, this thread doesn't really have a point, I just needed to let my dreams free...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Pay for it with student loans! I'm sure you wouldn't be the first... You'll have it paid off by the time you turn 40, maybe 50.

Jeff

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really thought about it. I think I have to be taking classes, though. However, i can make the argument that I need money to live on this summer if I am doing research here.

Life is just too short to not ride a nice bike.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Agreed! I found mine (MCR) on Craigslist for $1650 with Reba and full XT. They're out there, just make sure you're ready when the right deal comes your way!

Jeff

·
Fast bike-slow rider
207 Posts
Yeah look on CL, I got an Air9 with a Reba, XTR cranks and XT ders. for $1250. Swapped out and sold the parts I didn't want and now I have the bike I originally wanted and still saved more than $600 than if I purchased it all new and built it from scratch.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it wrong to take out a little bit of money for the summer to help build this bike?

Also, speaking of deals, the school's cycling team gets I9s 50% off...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Jnthomps08 said:
Is it wrong to take out a little bit of money for the summer to help build this bike?

Also, speaking of deals, the school's cycling team gets I9s 50% off...
$hit no! Do it! You need some recreation and exercise as a student with all the stress and lack of sleep. Join the cycling team!

·
Registered
9 Posts
OR, donating plasma is a 1.5 hour long process which can be done 2x a week for $20-30 a visit. This results in an extra $120-240 a month in cash!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a Niner!

Well, I was contacted by a local guy that had a Large Moondust EMD that he wanted to sell. How convenient! He was nice enough to let me ride it on a real Pisgah trail and he gave me a hell of a deal. I bought the frame, Juicy 5s, and crank.

Here it is:

EMD 9
Fox F29 RL
Bonty Rhythm wheelset
SRAM X.7 1x9
Avid Juicy 5s
Cane creek headset
Origin 8 stem
WTB Speed V saddle
Ritchey post
Niner Flattop bar
Schwalbe Albert rear // Bonty 29-3 front (tubeless)

I have about 6 hours on it and I'm already impressed. Niner got the geo spot on; it handles so much better than my Xcal (G2 geometry). I cleared really, really tight turns that I have never cleared before.

The only things that I really want to change are: better wheels- I'd love to have some nice wheels (Hope/Crests) and a Thomson stem- my last name is Thomson, so I think it would be funny.

Hopefully, this summer, I can get the bike that really changed my life back up and going. Im thinking dropbars and one gear... Until then, my friend will have to wait.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts