Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Well I ride aggressive XC/Trail type stuff, like to rail turns and do jump type stuff, gettin old an fat for the tricks the youngsters have. Back in the day...

Anyway, I have been riding Marzocchi forks since about '95 when I gave up on the Head Shok, before that I has some ol Rock Shox, and even a couple of Scott Shocks. I love the Marzocchis I have had, everything from Z1 to Junior T to Monster T to Z1 FR SL. I currently am riding a 06 All Mountain 1 Frankenfork with RC2 internals and ETA.

Now I want to go to a 20mm through axle type fork, and I am not interested in the current Zokes with the issues I have heard of with the 08's. I like Manitou, rode a Sherman for a while in Montana, it was plush and stiff, but I like the QR type 20mm axles. Dont want to need a hex wrench to remove my front wheel.

My wife has an 09 SID and I have been pretty impressed with that as it is my only experience with the latest RS offerings, and yes I know, 2nd hand, that the Pike kicks ass.

I am about 210 without gear and riding my third Yeti 575, this one is an 08 with DHX Air, and it is sweet...

It seems rational that I could get a better, stiffer, and lighter fork with the switch to 20mm. I have been looking at the new Revelations, and it seems like the 2010 model may be better than the 09, if they get around to updating it like the SID and Reba. I want post mount...

I am leaning toward the Thor, have seen a price on E-bay for the Maxle equipped version for 675, for that price I think I would like the Thor over the Revelation.

Lay it on me, I have read all the posts up on the Thors and Revs, but I am ready to pull the trigger and want some more info from those who have ridden it. I have heard some concerns with the Thor, but most seem to be related to poor setup, leaky seals and questionable service, all of which I can handle. I work for a large German company and can handle the better than thou attitude if the fork is as good as it looks like it might be.

Tell me why I should either buy or not buy the Thor!!!!!!!

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a Thor and love it, but I have not tried the pike! The original fork on my bike was a 08 Talas32 and that was rubbish. The only issue I have heard about and I had to start with was it seemed to blow through its travel really easily, but that was me setting up the fork badly. Simply when you put the air into the fork you should depress the travel adjust and compress the fork so the air can equalise into the negative air chamber, the manual was not very clear on this! There have been a few tests in magazines where they have said bad things about the fork but my belief is they have not set it up as I have described above!

Since I did this it has been perfect, and sooo much better than the Fox..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GBR1

I have heard of the setup issues, if you dont work the travel adjust while airing up you cannot equalize the air chambers. Then you get poor performance. I will keep that in mind.

How long have you been riding the Thor? What kind of conditions, I live in the Pacific Northwest USA and it gets really wet and muddy in the winter, but pretty dry and dusty in the summer. Seem pretty reliable so far?

Also, whats your take on brake dive resistance, or low speed compression resistance. Most of my forks have been pathetic at resisting brake dive, is the Magura any better when setup correctly?

And, I have never had a Fox fork, and from all I keep hearing wont anytime soon. Seems weird that I can have such a nice rear Fox shock but the forks are not as top notch. Dont get me wrong, I know they are not junk, just have some issues, and whats up with 15mm, I'm not interested.

Jeff

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I have had no issues so far, I live in the UK so most of the trails at the moment are muddy, otherwise the trails in Wales (which drain really well) can be dry so a mixture of conditions. Generally techinical single track which is what I enjoy most! I have had the fork for 3/4 months now and has been great with no issues.

Another tip is the lever setup position, if you want I will take a picture most I have seen have it really high up (magazine reviews) and then people wonder why it snaps when you crash, you can tuck it behind the bars really well and IMO it is easier to use!

So break dive, again once the fork was set up correctly this is fine, on the right leg of the fork (bottom) is the rebound, this work very well and makes setup easy for your riding style!

Also don't forget that the fork is post mount straight to a 180 rotor, as you are on a 575 I guess you have 180min anyway!!

All in all I have been very happy, but as said I am only comparing to my lemon of a Fox.

Have fun..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again GBR1, I thought you might be in the UK, wet and muddy. I think this is the fork for me.

I currently see the fork on ebay for 675 bucks, not a bad price. Anyone know if there has been any changes, or if those on ebay are an early run that may have issues I want to avoid.

What about the axle, I have read that they are doing away with the 60 less axle and I could get the maxle light instead. Should I wait a little while and get the fork with the Maxle light from my LBS. LBS is building me a new wheel soon. What would a maxle light sell for anyway?

Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
GBR1 said:
Another tip is the lever setup position, if you want I will take a picture most I have seen have it really high up (magazine reviews) and then people wonder why it snaps when you crash, you can tuck it behind the bars really well and IMO it is easier to use!
I would be very interested in seeing how you set up the travel adjust lever.

I am just starting to set up a Magura Thor on my bike and so far the only issue that I have encountered is a top-out knock against the elastomer bumper when I lift the front wheel from the ground (think a wheelie or a drop). I am working with Magura USA to sort the issue out but is possible that it may be the way the fork is (check the Magura support forum and you'll see several people with the same complaint). Hopefully I'll be able to sort it out because other than this it feels like a really nice fork.

Weight is slightly higher than advertised. Mine came in at 4.1lbs with the light Magura axle.

·
Code Burr
1,382 Posts
subydoo said:
Opinions? Yes or No...
How about maybe? I'm happy with mine. The brake dive is gone with heavier oil and the travel is always used up. Yet i'm considering another marzocchi. I really like the idea of customizing the shim stack to my specifications. The magura stack is proprietary and locked in.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
maybe, huh?

That certainly aint a no.

no brake dive and full travel sounds promising. What is it that you would like to tune up or tune out? Too soft, or too harsh? Do you just want to be able to tinker with the fork more, I'm with you there, I will be tearing the fork down real soon after purchase whether its a Magura or not.

What weight oil are you running, and what came in it? How was tear down, I heard the oil change itself is easy. Any special tools needed to get in there?

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
check this deal out

This is on ebay, sure is a good price, comes with maxle not maxle light.

Sounds like the latest version would come with the maxle light, which would be nice, also any issues up to now may have been addressed. Think I should wait and spend more, or snag this setup?

Magura Thor Fork on Ebay

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice Photos

Fork looks sweet, I have a CK wheel being built, pewter front hub. Once I get the wheel in my hands I am gonna have a hard time not buying the fork right away.

Where did you get the maxle light from, looks like you have the Magura light axle and the Maxle light.

And I am already running the 7" rotor, kinda looking forward to no adapter too. Now if my frame only didnt need an adapter for the rear...

Thanks g

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
subydoo said:
This is on ebay, sure is a good price, comes with maxle not maxle light.

Sounds like the latest version would come with the maxle light, which would be nice, also any issues up to now may have been addressed. Think I should wait and spend more, or snag this setup?

Magura Thor Fork on Ebay
Wow, that is an incredible price. I've found that using the Magura 20 mm axle is the best option 'cause I'm already carrying a 5 mm allen wrench with me. I rarely take my wheel off anyway. I check it before each ride.

subydoo said:
Fork looks sweet, I have a CK wheel being built, pewter front hub. Once I get the wheel in my hands I am gonna have a hard time not buying the fork right away.

Where did you get the maxle light from, looks like you have the Magura light axle and the Maxle light.

And I am already running the 7" rotor, kinda looking forward to no adapter too. Now if my frame only didnt need an adapter for the rear...

Thanks g
Thanks. The fork is sweet and at that "Ebay" price, it's even more worth it. Compared to any Rockshox this thing is WAY better. I've put it up there (in fork action) with the Fox Vanillas. There is NO stiction of any kind. Just buttery smooth travel.

I don't remember where I bought my Maxle lite from. It was from some mail order place. I did a quick search and found that Jenson has it listed.
Jenson link

The last thing I think I want to do is redesign the mounting for the Travel Adjust Lever mount. I'll get it mounted under the handle bar.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thor may be the winner

Havent even heard anything bad that would make me look elsewhere, I think it might be by by Marzocchi. She was good for a while, but now its time to trade her in on a younger hotter model..

Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
256 Posts
gmats said:
Check this link out, sorry, it is in the Turner Forum 'cause I'm riding a Turner.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=481107

But yeah, the fork is great!! I replaced the Pike with a Thor.

The fork's weight went from 2270 grams (2005 Rock Shox Pike - no Maxle) to 1770 g (no Maxle light).

The Thor is WAY more supple and tunable.

Aloha,
g
Hey gmats,

Nice pictures, two things, I am sure you have had a look at my photos in this thread, it shows how you can get the lever behind the bars. Second, your issue right now is you have the cable on backwards, the silver metal tube is suppose to be on the fork end to stop the cable rub when you turn the bars, it also bends the cable away form the Albert select. This in turn will give the cable next to the remote lever more flexibility and you will then be able to tuck it behind the bars easier!

Hope this helps..

Cheers

GBR1

·
Code Burr
1,382 Posts
subydoo said:
That certainly aint a no.

no brake dive and full travel sounds promising. What is it that you would like to tune up or tune out? Too soft, or too harsh? Do you just want to be able to tinker with the fork more, I'm with you there, I will be tearing the fork down real soon after purchase whether its a Magura or not.

What weight oil are you running, and what came in it? How was tear down, I heard the oil change itself is easy. Any special tools needed to get in there?

Thanks
Yes
All the travel is available
The travel is really plush and smooth
The air seals have not blown yet for a 210 rider (6 months)
Albert gold knob works as a LSC adjuster
lite weight

No
Constantly leaky seals/wipers, no enduro options at this time
Already costs the same as a Fox
@90+ psi the fork almost locks out (for heavier riders consider this)
Air spring a bit too linear, adding oil on the air piston didnt really work and made the spring feel sluggish
AC feels really low for the travel
Mickey mouse AS adjuster mechanism
Stock setup had a lot of brake dive

Maybe
Brake dive is gone with redline red synth fork oil (cant remember weight, 10?)
Not really as stiff as its reported to be

My fork has settled in and I cant really complain except for the leaky wipers. I had an issue with brake dive but the heavier oil and verifying the correct oil height may have cured it.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
GBR1 said:
Hey gmats,

Nice pictures, two things, I am sure you have had a look at my photos in this thread, it shows how you can get the lever behind the bars. Second, your issue right now is you have the cable on backwards, the silver metal tube is suppose to be on the fork end to stop the cable rub when you turn the bars, it also bends the cable away form the Albert select. This in turn will give the cable next to the remote lever more flexibility and you will then be able to tuck it behind the bars easier!

Hope this helps..

Cheers

GBR1
Aloha GBR1,

Thanks for the advice. I did try many different combinations of cable routing and because I run the "thumb shifters" and there is a clearance issue with the routing of the cable housing. This is the best compromise right now and I am planning to fix the mount of the lever to be under the handlebar. When I get this done, I will post pictures.

Aloha,
g

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.